• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

STEVE954 Grow Log

Hello from south florida. This year's grow started just after thanksgiving when sowed several different strains of scotch bonnet. After many attempts, I finally got my hands on some scotch bonnet seeds from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture!
newpicture2013087_zpsf55b19b7.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-MoA
newpicture2013073-Copy2_zps89dfbc81.jpg

Red-Scotch Bonnet-RedFoodarama, Green-Scotch Bonnet-MoA, Black-Scotch Bonnet-Papa Joe's Mkt
newpicture2013077_zps0e3a3a06.jpg

Scotch Bonnet-TFM Tree
newpicture2013075_zps289af11d.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM still producing
newpicture2013079_zpsa37b35ec.jpg

Pods looking great! Although those leaves with intererveineous yellowing or bubbling/wrinkling might be wanting something. I'd hit em with some calcium and magnesium, maybe even iron. But I'm pretty inexperienced so I might be super wrong.

Steve tasty looking Red Scotch Bonnet, tings looking great mon! I have some seed and powder for you, maybe we can hook up Monday after you get off work if you're still working south of me.

Pulpiteer said:
Those yellow MoA's look awesome! I'll be looking forward to hearing how they taste real soon.
Andy Steve is probably at work so I'll try to point you to his taste impression. He wrote his opinion in the last paragraph in his post #317 Click Here to read. I also wrote a review on the MoA taste click here hope this helps ^_^

Edit: Sorry Andy I missed where he wrote his first impressions in post #301 click here to read.

WalkGood said:
Andy Steve is probably at work so I'll try to point you to his taste impression. He wrote his opinion in the last paragraph in his post #317 Click Here to read. I also wrote a review on the MoA taste click here hope this helps ^_^

Edit: Sorry Andy I missed where he wrote his first impressions in post #301 click here to read.
Thanks! I did find your review too after I posted this.  Cool stuff  and beautiful peppers!

Got this package in the mail today.

Gary, you sir, are the man!! You're too kind!!

Chilhuacle (pronounced [chee-WAH-lee]) literally means 'ancient chile', is unique to the state of Oaxaca, Mexico and has very complex flavors. 

I will be making powders and mole' with these babies! Thanks again, Gary(windchicken).

003_zps04412d6f.jpg

Looking good, Steve.  Are you going to plant any of the seeds from those chilhuacle?  I have another question for you, and I apologize if this has already been covered.  I haven't been able to keep up with everyone's grow like I would like.  Whatever became of the SBs you got from the old Jamaican lady at the market?  What are you calling those?  Thanks!

Steve, time for an update! I wana see that JA Hab in your yard, have you picked the 2 ripe pods on her yet?
Hope you enjoyed da powder and pods ... great to see ya mon!

It's not a very good approach to categorize seeds from "A", "B", etc. pods. Although this can tell you that the seeds came from a healthy pod, it doesn't necessarily help in propagating superior genes. A plant can grow weak, bear few fruits, with most of those fruits being not very good, but with maybe one or two excellent pods. If you save seeds from those pods, you aren't isolating the good pod genetics. It doesn't work that way. If there is no cross pollination, every single pod on the plant should generally have the same genetic makeup, regardless of whether it's a misshapen little runt of a pod or the most perfect specimen you have ever seen.

The proper way is to harvest and categorize seeds from plants that display the best phenotype overall.

Back