• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Oh yeah!... We were immediately downwind from you. It started about 8:00 with heavy rain and lots of electrical activity. The rain tapered off fairly quickly, but the lightning continued for a few hours afterwards.

wahlee76 said:
Looking good. Would like to come over, but I think it will be cold by then :P

Yeah, probably... I'm lovin' the leftovers today though! :D

If you want to take it up a notch... I think the Yellow 7s are a good substitute for the Scotch Bonnets in making Jerk marinades. It certainly has the heat, but also lets the other flavors come through as well.

stickman said:
Oh yeah!... We were immediately downwind from you. It started about 8:00 with heavy rain and lots of electrical activity. The rain tapered off fairly quickly, but the lightning continued for a few hours afterwards.
Yeah that storm was nuts. It got really windy here, with some outrageous lightning. Spent a few hours on the porch with a col beer watching.

My dad and I used to like to sit on our screened-in porch during electrical storms and enjoy the show. The porch was about 20 feet from the edge of the dirt road that ran past the house, and there was a line of old Sugar Maple trees about the same distance from the far side of the road. Once we were out on the porch when a bolt of lightning struck one of the Maples about 50 feet away... that woke us up in a hurry!

FreeportBum said:
Looks awesome Rick, what times dinner? I'll be right over. :P   
Shoot Devan... you should have said something... I just polished off the leftovers for supper. Maybe next time...

I think we discovered the secret of levitation then too... we were sitting back in some chairs when the bolt struck and the flash and roar came together. When we became aware of ourselves again after that, we were on our feet with no recollection of how we'd gotten there... Lol!   WTH... any one you can walk away from, eh?

Alrighty Then!   I finally got a ripe Manzano! From the top of the pic clockwise... Aji Criolla Sella, my first ripe Guajillos, Manzano and Fish peppers.
SANY0280_zps2b8abf87.jpg

I expect in another week or so the lone Manzano pod will have company. :)

Edit:
Came home for lunch to find a package waiting from brother Scott (Devv) that was full of his Funky Reapers and a couple of large Annuums that I don't recognize. Thanks Scott... I'll try to come up with something good with them!
SANY0281_zpsaabe70ee.jpg

Congrats on getting your first ripe Manzano! The package from Scott looks great. Those reaper pods look really big, which surprises me. 

Watch out for the cold snap that is heading our way. Our high is only 13 today, and the overnight temps are really dipping in a couple of nights time. 

• Awesome looking foodie and I bet it tasted great
  • Super looking haul, you just keep bringing them in … great score!
  • Love da pepper love from Scott, that’s some serious heat picante there for sure
  • Wishing you and yours an awesome weekend ^_^

Rick, those are plain old Banana peppers, they fit just right so the box didn't rattle.

They're unwashed, didn't want to do anything to them.

Enjoy!

Congrats on that Manzano, I hope the others have time to ripen, I think they may, they're Andes peps..

Stefan_W said:
Congrats on getting your first ripe Manzano! The package from Scott looks great. Those reaper pods look really big, which surprises me. 

Watch out for the cold snap that is heading our way. Our high is only 13 today, and the overnight temps are really dipping in a couple of nights time. 
Thanks for the kind words and the heads-up Stefan... The Reapers are from Texas, and everything's bigger that comes from there, not so Scott? ;)
WalkGood said:

• Awesome looking foodie and I bet it tasted great
  • Super looking haul, you just keep bringing them in … great score!
  • Love da pepper love from Scott, that’s some serious heat picante there for sure
  • Wishing you and yours an awesome weekend ^_^

The same to yourself Ramon!  Now that the harvest season is on us there's lots of love going around from the generous folks at THP...
either that or they love slapstick humor... :mouthonfire: :)
Devv said:
Rick, those are plain old Banana peppers, they fit just right so the box didn't rattle.

They're unwashed, didn't want to do anything to them.

Enjoy!

Congrats on that Manzano, I hope the others have time to ripen, I think they may, they're Andes peps..
Thanks so much for that box o' pain Scott! I took one of the pods over to a neighbor's house tonight and cut us each a sliver to try... WHOOEE... That's a spicy pod! At least as hot as the Butch T. I grew this year. I guess I increased my tolerance a bit since I sampled the BT, because I was able to sit with the reaper until it faded. A very strong chinense aroma and flavor and a creeping heat that took 30 seconds to register and kept building for about 5 minutes. Plateaued for about 3 minutes and faded to a warm glow in the mouth and throat down to the stomach that lasted about half an hour. I had half a dozen hiccups 3 minutes into the burn, but a swallow of cool water Scotched that... I'm thinking the best use for these pods is smoked and powdered, or diluted in some kind of sauce. That way it's easier to regulate how much of a dose you get.

stickman said:
Pretty easy Matt... You don't want to leave them out in the sun where it could "burn" the onions and leave soft spots that are prone to rot,  but at the same time, you want them to lose some of their water content so they're nice and hard for storage. I spread them out on the steps under our hatchway... The sun shining on the sheet metal warms the space underneath it to help them dry, but doesn't shine directly on them.
SANY0038.jpg

How are you on Crickets Pia? :P
Nice! I just finished curing about 20 red onions I pulled from the garden. I put them in a single layer in a milk crate under a covered portion of my deck for almost 2 weeks. With these cooler temps a pot of french onion soup might be in order. Next season I am going to double my onion crop and also add garlic!

Lookin great Rick!  I haven't grown the Brown Eggs, just tried the ones that Jay sent over.  I am gonna be adding them to my grow list next season, and I think they will be a great contrast to all the heat. 

The pollo looks delish, you always have mouthwatering food shots!

Tasty looking chicken and nice going on the first ripe Manzano! Your Guajillo pods look a lot different then mine... is het possible that these have various podshapes as the Chimayo does to? Mine have been pretty big, thick walled and I don't really detect any heat at all. Got the seeds from someone who got them from a buddy in Mexico.

IMAG1545_.jpg

Back