• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

MGOLD86 said:
Those Brown Eggs are awesome.  Huge pods, not much heat, but wonderful almost watermelon like flavor.  Very wet/crisp.  I think you will find a ton of great ways to incorporate it in your sauces...you definitely need to give em a shot.
Thanks for the input Matt... did you grow them before or get some from GA growhead to try?
Stefan_W said:
Now you got me curious abut the brown eggs, never heard of them before.
I never heard of them before this year either Stefan... Descriptions of the flavor I've read sound intriguing though, and I'm all about the taste!

PIC 1 said:
Rick,
Your hot sauce looks great !
I can see that on some chicken or fish.
The ferment is really starting to lift off....looks tasty also.

Thanks Greg! Are you doing any ferments this season?

Hopefully the weather holds off a little longer for you Rick.  Have you gotten any Manzanos yet?  We have a similar growing environment and I am debating when to start my pubescens for next year.

poypoyking said:
Hopefully the weather holds off a little longer for you Rick.  Have you gotten any Manzanos yet?  We have a similar growing environment and I am debating when to start my pubescens for next year.

Hi Ben,
My Manzanos are beginning to ripen... some are halfway there. I wasn't able to start them from seed back in January and February... I tried 3 times and planted over 30 seeds, but Shane sent me a plant through the mail, and that's my only plant. If you check his glog, I'm sure you can get his starting date... If I was doing it, I'd start them just after New Years. Cheers!

Sauces are looking great, weather is on a wild streak again! 50 then 80 then 55 and 90 and back to mid 90's this week followed by high 60's! The tropics are also awake....time to get the wax out! Hopefully you have a few more wonderful harvests before it all ends!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Sauces are looking great, weather is on a wild streak again! 50 then 80 then 55 and 90 and back to mid 90's this week followed by high 60's! The tropics are also awake....time to get the wax out! Hopefully you have a few more wonderful harvests before it all ends!

Man!!! I hear ya Chris... I'm happy with my harvest so far except for the Manzanos and Aji Panca chiles. Hope I get at least a few of those, but inshallah!

Busy weekend and a long day today... finally got some pics of the Kapia peppers I brought home from my Mom's on Sunday... Two 5 gal. pails of pods between 162 grams and 208 grams. Compared to the ones I grew in my garden, these are monsters!
SANY0273_zps3039cfff.jpg

I'm roasting the ripe ones ATM, the rest will stay in the bucket until they ripen...
SANY0274_zps9f814943.jpg

Have a great evening all!

You bet guys! I started them from seed here, but Mom has the better soil since she's been adding humus and compost for 50 years, so I asked her if I could plant the bulk of the Kapias there. She took her cut, and I got the rest... about half are still green or partially so, but the weather forecast in her area for Sunday night was for frost, so we picked all her peppers and squash. The green pods will ripen up or I'll make stuffed peppers with them.

Good score on the brown eggs. Really is almost a watermelon flavor over a red bell annuum like taste. They do put out multiple pods per node too. So c. chinense in there too, but no taste to know it. Very unique pepper for sure.
Those Kapias look killer! Roasted makes them even yummier looking!

GA Growhead said:
Good score on the brown eggs. Really is almost a watermelon flavor over a red bell annuum like taste. They do put out multiple pods per node too. So c. chinense in there too, but no taste to know it. Very unique pepper for sure.
Those Kapias look killer! Roasted makes them even yummier looking!
Thanks for the info Jay... I'm definitely planning on using the Brown Egg in salads, sauces and powders too if it keeps its flavor when dried.

Stefan... I tried a slice from one of the Urfa Biber pods this morning, and found it had thin flesh that was crunchy and juicy... mild Annuum aroma... fruity and sweet with mild to moderate heat. It had a pleasant flavor but didn't seem very remarkable fresh, it must be the way it's dried that concentrates the flavor and gives the powder that deep purple color.  Part of the reason may also be that my plants were too close to my stand of Tomatillos... The Tomatillos were about 5 feet tall and the Urfa Bibers next to them only got up to a foot and a half, so they were in partial shade most of the time.

Have a good Hump Day all!

Back