• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

My neighbor managed to kill the Orange Habs I potted up for him last fall, so I decided to start some more this year. I scored about 30 1.5 to 2.0 gal plastic pots from a local market that was tossing them, and I'll be planting the overflow in those.
Also got 3 gallon-sized wide mouthed glass jars with good lids from the market's deli at the same time... now I can make 4 times as many fermented hot sauces at once.

Killer tortillas Rick even with the beard that looks freezing, burrrrr!!! I don’t know how you guys do it. Killer tortillas, they look great!!! Did you hand roll them out with rolling pin or do you have a tortilla machine? Oh and dem Huevos Rancheros look awesome, great job!!!

... I scored about 30 1.5 to 2.0 gal plastic pots from a local market that was tossing them, and I'll be planting the overflow in them.
I love dem freebies, hehe ... I always get mine from construction sites when they do the landscaping for commercial buildings they toss all dem big ones, we certainly put them to good use :)

Killer tortillas Rick even with the beard that looks freezing, burrrrr!!! I don’t know how you guys do it. Killer tortillas, they look great!!! Did you hand roll them out with rolling pin or do you have a tortilla machine? Oh and dem Huevos Rancheros look awesome, great job!!!

I love dem freebies, hehe ... I always get mine from construction sites when they do the landscaping for commercial buildings they toss all dem big ones, we certainly put them to good use :)
Hi Ramon
Believe it or not... beards are chiefly beneficial by giving the ice someplace to form onto. Lol! When you have a layer of ice clinging to your beard a half inch away from the skin of your face, it blocks the wind and blown snow on really cold days like this...

I used a tortilla press to form the tortillas between sheets of waxed paper. I've bought my tortillas ready-made up to now, but finally got the press this week and used it for the first time this morning. I love how they're chewier and have a stronger corn flavor when you make them yourself. I think they'll be better for enchiladas too, 'cause they won't fall apart when you bake them with the sauce.

Sounds awesome Rick and you are right, home made beats store bought any day of the week!!! I’ve debated in the past to get one as rolling your own isn’t easy and not consistent … maybe one of these days.

Whatup frosty!!! Damn...sorry bro. Watching for that Manzano hook update I know is coming soon!
Hi Shane
Patience isn't one of my virtues, but I'm trying my best...

The downstairs Annuums are looking extremely good. the ones that have had the fan on them for the last few days are looking very sturdy, so I swapped the tray around so the fan could work on the ones in the other end.
SANY0492_zpsf0449c1d.jpg

Looking good Rick ...... and the plants aren't looking too shabby either :rofl: geez you guys are really copping it with the snow and cold .... take care out there ...

Thanks Shane... get yourself a bucket of grits! :P All seriousness aside... I had me a brew when I was done too.
SANY0494_zps1b4ec0cf.jpg

Berkshire Brewing co. Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale

Dude, that pic of you looked frozen! Like Ramon said, I don't know how you guys do it. I lived in Cleveland for 7 years and couldn't wait to get back to So Cal. Good on ya! Stay warm!
It's not so hard as all that Doc... When I was in the Army in Colorado I served alongside a lot of guys from the deep south. This was in the late 70s - early 80s, and these guys were the last generation to grow up there without central air conditioning. We'd fall out for PT (physical training) about 5am and do 20 minutes of calisthenics and run 5 miles before breakfast. Those of us Nortenos would have on our fatigues and combat boots, gloves and a hat that covered our ears. The southerners would have on about 5 layers that made them look like war orphans, and they'd still freeze. We tried to tell them not to overdress so they wouldn't sweat and chill, but I don't think they believed us.

Lots of rum helps.
Oh yeah... and Black Seal rum!

Plants looking great! My [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Annuums have not even found the starter yet, today is that day. I am going to just put them in without soaking and see how the Thai's roll! I love brew pubs that have walkout growlers[/background]

Your annuums are on a mission. Good idea with the fan, as you know they grow up and flower fast. Unlike the c.chinense, once the initial wave of flowers open the plant growth reverses to pod production. I tend to pick the buds off. Otherwise the lower Banana's, Wax's, and Hatch type peppers tend to grow "into the dirt".
Nice foodie and plant photos...

I love rum! But it doesn't love me for 2 days afterwards...
There you go... my father always said the incurring of a debt was a much more joyful occasion than the payment of it... ;)

Plants looking great! My [background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Annuums have not even found the starter yet, today is that day. I am going to just put them in without soaking and see how the Thai's roll! I love brew pubs that have walkout growlers[/background]
Thanks Chris... good luck with the Thai's. I definitely want to see how they come out for you and hear your assessment of their different flavors.
We have quite a few brew pubs locally, and a few microbreweries as well. The biggest is probably Berkshire Brewing co. in Deerfield, followed by Paper City Brewery in Holyoke, Amherst Brewing co, Northampton Brewing co. and Element Brewing co. in Miller's Falls. The nearest brewpub is in Greenfield... called the People's Pint. Their beers are OK, but their Ginger Beer is wicked good!

Your annuums are on a mission. Good idea with the fan, as you know they grow up and flower fast. Unlike the c.chinense, once the initial wave of flowers open the plant growth reverses to pod production. I tend to pick the buds off. Otherwise the lower Banana's, Wax's, and Hatch type peppers tend to grow "into the dirt".
Nice foodie and plant photos...
Thanks for stopping by Greg! I hear ya on pinching the buds... I do until they get at least a foot tall. I want to keep the pods up where they are less likely to rot or get chewed on by something. I think it also lets the plants grow out the roots a bit more before shifting over to pod production.

I usually keep all of the mini pods that form inside on the plant until it is time to take them out to their garden homes. Then I snip them all at once and make up a great plate of nachos. Some of them taste terrible when they are very immature, but some are really good.

There you go... my father always said the incurring of a debt was a much more joyful occasion than the payment of it...
My rum hangovers make me wish the mob would just kick the door in and gat me in the face! Sadly its my party drug these days, so I suffer when I wake up in the kitchen..
Oh where's my bag, did I leave it on the train??
No, there it is... Wallet and phone still here too! Sweet!
But the bottle of rum is empty - thank god I'm still drunk!
Skip forward a few hours, I wish I wasn't born ;)

That feeling lasts usually 2 days.

Good thing I got married and I'm not partying every weekend ;)

I usually keep all of the mini pods that form inside on the plant until it is time to take them out to their garden homes. Then I snip them all at once and make up a great plate of nachos. Some of them taste terrible when they are very immature, but some are really good.
Nice way to roll Stefan, I take all my little ones and make peppered water, I use that for all kinds of stuff but mainly to keep animals away, lol.

Back