• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Does pepper water only keep mammals away?
I think so... As I understand the science, the theory is that capsaicin production is nature's way of cutting out the mammals with molars that can crush the seeds in favor of birds that swallow the fruit whole and uncrushed. The seeds pass unharmed through the digestive tract of the birds, who deposit them with softened seed coat and fertilizing guano in the course of their travels...

Being in Tokyo, I'm gonna get a gundam to guard my peppers against pests. ;)

giant_gundam_tokyo_odaiba-2_02.jpg

I'd heard birds don't feel the burn.. Sadly there's lots of birds nesting near by, so I need a deterrent of some kind. If I can't get the gundam, perhaps a cat. But then I need to get a dog as well to protect my axolotls. I can see my living situation getting more complex

Being in Tokyo, I'm gonna get a gundam to guard my peppers against pests. ;)

Good luck with that G... ;)

I'd heard birds don't feel the burn.. Sadly there's lots of birds nesting near by, so I need a deterrent of some kind. If I can't get the gundam, perhaps a cat. But then I need to get a dog as well to protect my axolotls. I can see my living situation getting more complex

It's true... birds don't feel the burn. I remember reading in a post by a fellow from Texas that he had a Pequin chile growing next to his garage, and a Mockingbird that would eat the fruit and actually guarded it from competitors. I hope it picked off insect pests as well. He didn't mind it eating the chiles because it was a mature plant, and there were plenty to share.
When I was a kid, we used to plant sweet corn every year, and occasionally we'd have a Raccoon that'd get into the corn patch and pull down the stalks to get at the ripening ears. They always did this on the outside edge of the patch, so Dad dealt with that by peeling back the husks on the ears there and smearing on vegetable shortening with cayenne pepper mixed in, then pulling the husks back up. After that, they might pull down a plant or two, but left the rest of the corn alone... :hell:

A nice update. I had to pinch the buds off the gochu. Need to put them in gal containers.
Hi DeNNiZ
Yeah, I had to also at about this stage... I wanted them to get at least a foot (30 cm) tall before they started producing fruit. They're vigorous growers for sure. When you've got them to where you want them to to begin producing chiles, you might try a diluted seaweed extract and epsom salts foliar spray. It seems to help them produce lots of healthy flowers. Cheers!

Babies are looking good Rick. Those buckets were a good score. Fernando got me looking at root pouches. He sent me a link to AM Leonard, where he gets his from and they were a good price so I ordered a bunch and going to give them a shot this year.

George, when I lived in San Antonio, TX we had a big Oak tree that was right next to the drive way that was home to I think a whole flock of birds. I could wash my truck and less than an hour later it would be covered in bird poo. A friend of mine told me to get some toy snakes and just toss them up into the branches. If one falls out just chuck it back up and might have to replace them once a year. So I picked up 10 for $2.00 and chucked 3 of them up into the branches. 2 days later, no more birds pooping on my truck. :)

I thought I'd take a look underneath to see how the roots were coming along, and see the lateral ones are beginning to push beyond the boundaries of the Solo cups...
SANY0502_zpseec81d50.jpg

I'm lovin' those white, hairy roots! So I decided it was time to see what air pruning will do for me between now and plant-out.

Douglah
Douglah21213_zps5b6d3a9c.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate
JaHotChoc21213_zps4f119f59.jpg

Yellow 7
Yellow7_21213_zpsa3e01b20.jpg

And Maya Red Habanero
MayaRed21213_zpsa8e6c115.jpg

I have 2 of each of these varieties, and I'm going to leave one of each in their Solo cups to see how they each do between now and late April.

The air pots seem to be getting popular. I haven't used them, do you top or bottom water with those ?
I think ColoradoRonin mentioned bottom watering in his glog. The cones pointing toward the outside have their tips cut off so the air can get in, but they didn't cut off the tips of the top 2 rows... probably so it would hold water longer and more would soak in when top watering.

Rick those babies look fantastic! I too will be interested in reading about the air pots and your opinions of them …

… do you top or bottom water with those?
Here’s where I show my ignorance … honestly I don’t know and I’m not trying to be an ass … what’s the theory about bottom watering and where did this come from? I've read that all over THP, is it something I should be doing as I’ve never tried it, in fact when I do have a bottom dish to catch the water I toss it on ground plants or somewhere else. AFAIK this would very rarely happen in nature other than underground streams, erosion or for the life of me I can’t think how else. Apologies in advance if this comes across wrong.

Edit:

I think ColoradoRonin mentioned bottom watering in his glog. The cones pointing toward the outside have their tips cut off so the air can get in, but they didn't cut off the tips of the top 2 rows... probably so it would hold water longer and more would soak in when top watering.
Interesting ... but for me, those holes mite be another avenue for bugs to get into the soil, is that possible?

Rick those babies look fantastic! I too will be interested in reading about the air pots and your opinions of them …

Here’s where I show my ignorance … honestly I don’t know and I’m not trying to be an ass … what’s the theory about bottom watering and where did this come from? I've read that all over THP, is it something I should be doing as I’ve never tried it, in fact when I do have a bottom dish to catch the water I toss it on ground plants or somewhere else. AFAIK this would very rarely happen in nature other than underground streams, erosion or for the life of me I can’t think how else. Apologies in advance if this comes across wrong …
Not a problem Ramon... I haven't studied top vs bottom watering... I've always top watered myself, but that's just habit. One advantage of bottom watering I think, is that it doesn't compact the soil since the water makes its way upwards by capillary action and it doesn't wash the fine particles down into the air spaces. If the soil's got enough porosity I don't think it'll make any difference. If you have clay soil that hasn't been lightened with humus, perlite or sand it might be a different story.

Interesting ... but for me, those holes mite be another avenue for bugs to get into the soil, is that possible?
I suppose it might be possible, I'll let you know if I see it happening that way, but manuevering into a hole in the side of a pot is a tricky thing to do when you've got a brain the size of a pinhead... I think it's much more likely that they'll land on the soil at the top of the pot and dig in like they would anyway.

Not a problem Ramon... I haven't studied top vs bottom watering... I've always top watered myself, but that's just habit. One advantage of bottom watering I think, is that it doesn't compact the soil since the water makes its way upwards by capillary action and it doesn't wash the fine particles down into the air spaces. If the soil's got enough porosity I don't think it'll make any difference. If you have clay soil that hasn't been lightened with humus, perlite or sand it might be a different story.

Also, with growing indoors one can have issues with water evaporation, fungal gnats and other pest issues, with top watering. I bottom water indoors , thats where the roots are, no need to top water, As Rick said , it can compact the roots, if theres not enough aerated particles in the medium the roots can root,..lack of oxygen.
Of course outdoors is a different situation, faster drainage and water evaporation. Ya just can't beat that overhead rain water...

Also, with growing indoors one can have issues with water evaporation, fungal gnats and other pest issues, with top watering. I bottom water indoors , thats where the roots are, no need to top water, As Rick said , it can compact the roots, if theres not enough aerated particles in the medium the roots can root,..lack of oxygen.
Of course outdoors is a different situation, faster drainage and water evaporation. Ya just can't beat that overhead rain water...
Thank you, that's key learning I have here from 2 guys :) ... don't think I do not get the fungal gnats, they suck! They only bother the young seedlings for me AFAIK.

Thank you, that's key learning I have here from 2 guys :) ... don't think I do not get the fungal gnats, they suck! They only bother the young seedlings for me AFAIK.
Yeah, that's about right... The fungus gnat larvae feed on the root hairs of seedlings and small plants. They were already in the pots with my wife's indoor plants next to the sliding glass door where I have my peppers, so I did a pre-emptive strike with mosquito bits to knock out the larvae in her potted plants and keep them out of mine.
SANY0408_zpsc2ee8e75.jpg

It seems to be working, but maybe it would work better with bottom watering...?

One other advantage of bottom watering is you're encouraging the roots to grow to the water. Makes 'em stronger.

As for the mosquito bits water from the top. Fungus gnats lay their eggs in wet dirt/medium at the surface. When it hatches the larvae go deeper in search of roots. I had a bad case last year. Found larvae inside the seed shell before the seed had sprouted among other places. They can cripple and kill a seedling. Watering from the top will insure the insecticide is sitting there waiting for the bastages.

One other advantage of bottom watering is you're encouraging the roots to grow to the water. Makes 'em stronger.

As for the mosquito bits water from the top. Fungus gnats lay their eggs in wet dirt/medium at the surface. When it hatches the larvae go deeper in search of roots. I had a bad case last year. Found larvae inside the seed shell before the seed had sprouted among other places. They can cripple and kill a seedling. Watering from the top will insure the insecticide is sitting there waiting for the bastages.
Thanks for the input Patrick... I appreciate it!

Back