• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

MGOLD86 said:
Great shots and review Rick,  the plants are really taking off and pretty soon there wont be any "runts".  Dont worry, not many people have the ability to use words like Ramon does...pretty amazing. 
Thanks for the good vibe Matt, That's certainly what I'm hoping! Cheers!

And that wasnt an iPhone typo. As healthy as those things look you must be Noah, ya boat builder.
Plus i could never call someone's mother a bitch. No problem with identifying myself as such given the circumstances lol

Edit: massive typos. Only a graveyard shifter could be drunk this early I guess.

Stefan_W said:
Looks like you've been busy! I love the wide open gardening area.

The Criolla Sella will probably pick up a bit of heat as it is stressed out. It is tough to get full heat into a pepper when it is raining continually.
Thanks Stefan, glad to see you're going to have a season after the "Biblical" spring you had this year! I hope the Criolla Sella will heat up when the weather does... it seems likely anyway.

WalkGood said:
Rick the garden looks great! I love that perspective picture giving one an insight to the big picture. I enjoyed reading your review, well written with the pertinent facts/stats along with your opinion, great job!

I love grapefruit taste, I hope that aspect does not change and cooking with grapefruit can add a nice twang to your style of cooking. We will do the occasional use of it in marinades for chicken or fish, naturally we have to include peppers. I like how you imply that the taste or heat level may change, I tried to do the same in my MoA review, again great job brethren!
Thanks for the nod Ramon, I appreciate the input!

We like Grapefruit here too, but don't buy it because it interferes with my wife's medication. She has to take synthetic thyroid hormone and the Grapefruit blocks it.

Peptacular said:
I feel you on the mid 50s situation. But being in MA, you make me feel like a total bitch down here in VA lol. You're plants look better than mine despite a colder home. Keep it up you sonuvaboat.
Peptacular said:
And that wasnt an iPhone typo. As healthy as those things look you must be Noah, ya boat builder.
Plus i could never call someone's mother a bitch. No problem with identifying myself as such given the circumstances lol

Edit: massive typos. Only a graveyard shifter could be drunk this early I guess.

Hi Tay,
   No greivin' with Stephen dude... what happens on THP stays on THP. ;) Thanks for the good word... now get some coffee or some shuteye! :P

annie57 said:
Thanks for CS review Rick! Keep us updated on heat as season goes on, please. "Grapefruit" aspect is great insertion in many marinades!

Sure 'nuff sister!

Grilled up some Beer Brats for supper tonight to try along with some of Brother Bill's original garlic/wasabi hot sauce...
SANY1230_zps704111f3.jpg

Absolutely loved it! Of course I've always loved horseradish on dogs and wursten, and this is just more so. At first it seemed pretty mild, like prepared horseradish often is, but it ramped up a bit after 4 bites or so and the peppers kicked in to prolong the wasabi burn a little longer. Not overpowering with the heat, but a tasty blend that goes well with anything you'd dress with horseradish. I'd also use it on Kielbasa and cold roast beef sandwiches. Nice job Bill!
Bonnie got me inspired since we've been picking Rhubarb in our yard and the native Strawberries are getting fully ripe now. Strawberry Rhubarb jam...
SANY1221_zps82c94418.jpg

SANY1222_zpsb6edf231.jpg

Always so much to catch up on with your glog!  So psyched for you that the night-time lows are about to turn the corner.  Loving the flowers on the Manzano!  With the warmer nights, those flowers I hope will stick!  Did I see four buds on a node on your Aji Panca?  Chinense?

And congrats on the ripe Criolla Sella.  Loved the review.  Great looking pods forming on the Almapaprika.  Huge Tomatillo Verde plants.  And that kebab looked awesome!  Looks like you are ready for ground lamb!  ;)

Always great to see the results of a master gardner!

Thanks for the good word folks... it's always appreciated. Sad to say, I'm home with a stomach bug and a fever today, so no updates until I feel better. It was a drag, because we were supposed to have the in-laws over to the house tomorrow for a BBQ, but I don't want to give them what I have so my wife is going up to their place instead. Que sera, sera....

Hmmm I instinctively hit the like button...

Sorry to hear about the bug...they usually don't last too long...and in my case I never lose my appetite..wife thinks I'm weird...she may be right...LOL

Get better soon!

stickman said:
Thanks for the good word folks... it's always appreciated. Sad to say, I'm home with a stomach bug and a fever today, so no updates until I feel better. It was a drag, because we were supposed to have the in-laws over to the house tomorrow for a BBQ, but I don't want to give them what I have so my wife is going up to their place instead. Que sera, sera....

Get well.  I'm sure you had a delicious BBQ planned.

Scott don't feel bad, I just blew all mi likes too, lol. Rick hope you get well soon or I'll have to come up and start picking off your pods, hahaha ... foodie is awesome mon! Have a great day tomorrow!

Thanks for the good wishes all, I think it must have helped. I felt a good deal better this morning and went out for a Dawn Patrol...

It's 63 degrees this morning under clear skies. Summer's finally here at last! And the chiles are showing it.

Douglah's continuing to grow outward, and the flowers are beginning to stick.
SANY1240_zpsf23131be.jpg

SANY1242_zpsecac9811.jpg

Potted Yellow 7 ditto
SANY1241_zpsf6583537.jpg

The Maya Red Habanero is turning into a flower factory... these are just a few
SANY1243_zps8cb44366.jpg

The chiles in the overflow garden are picking up the pace also.

Yellow Bhut
SANY1244_zpseb5ef20c.jpg

Magnum Orange Habanero
SANY1245_zps6f148eec.jpg

Cheiro beginning to flower up nice
SANY1246_zps0f72a782.jpg

and Omnicolor beginning to ripen in multiples
SANY1247_zpsb63d9308.jpg

Down in the pepper plot... The Urfa Biber is setting pods
SANY1248_zpsc3b5973a.jpg

This Krimzon Lee paprika has an interesting right-angle stinger
SANY1249_zpsbd4bd5f9.jpg

and there are more pics for a bump. Cheers!

Back