• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

romy6 said:
70 degrees and 88 percent humidity. Now that is perfect pepper weather ( and mater) my friend. 

Don't forget to check your mailbox this week with the boss gone and all  :shh:
Thanks Brother Jamie... I'll be on the lookout, and will post pics of what I make with them. :dance:
Some more pics from this morning...

I've been watching the plant I at first thought was a mistakenly labeled Numex 6-4 Anaheim. Every pod it's set since it started to rain here has grown true for the Anaheim, so I guess I was right the first time. It was just the pods that set when the weather was cold and dry that had the horizontal corking. I have a Vesena that's flowering and setting pods now, so in a week or three I should have some good pod shots of those to show as well.

Numex 6-4 Anaheim
IMAG0136_zpsb577f4ef.jpg

I'm having a hard time getting a pic of it, but a lot of the Annuums have maxed out on pods for the size of the plant, and new flower stalks are turning yellow and falling off even though growing conditions are near perfect here for vegetative growth.
IMAG0137_zps23e31dc7.jpg

The first of my Peruvian Purple pods is beginning to ripen up, and when it does, I can send seeds to anybody who's interested.
IMAG0129_zpsfac35097.jpg

The flowers on the in-ground Yellow 7 are sticking more and showing more interest in setting pods.
IMAG0142_zps52ab411c.jpg

There's more progress with the Aji Pancas too
IMAG0138_zpscbbb981b.jpg

The first good-sized pod on the in-ground Maya Red Habanero
IMAG0143_zps3f1aa276.jpg

Flower on the Hobak Squash
IMAG0147_zpsb2badbfa.jpg

Cheers all!

Looking great as always!  Everything is so green.  Every year I grow them I am surprised by the size of the Annaheim peppers.  I always picture them smaller in my mind.

RocketMan said:
Great looking pods Rick, your garden is really kicking into gear.

Glad to see you liked the Garlic Wasabi, have you cracked the Dragons Blood open yet?
Not yet Bill... my wife wasn't interested in trying any, but she's gone to Canada for a couple of weeks and I'm "batchin'"it... ;)

Just want to send a big shout out to Ramon (Walkgood)... your seeds came today! I'm looking forward to growing out your JA Habs and MoA Bonnets sometime in the near future. Thanks guy!
IMAG0017_zps495bf5b6.jpg

Apparently the backup camera is more sensitive to motion and light levels, so I dug out an old tripod and went outside in the drizzle and overcast to fool around practice with it and got these shots...

This is an example of the yellowing flowers I mentioned earlier.  In previous years it usually showed up at midsummer when the conditions were hot and dry, so that's what I thought caused it. This year is warm and humid, and close to perfect growing conditions, so I think it's just that the plant is maxed out with poddage and drops new flowers because it can't support the metabolic load.
yellowing7113_zps805f7bde.jpg

Potted Yellow 7 is just starting to produce pods
Yellow7_7113_zps6fae937b.jpg

Scotch Bonnet just set a pod
ScotchBonnet7113_zps41c0a797.jpg

And the Douglah
Douglah7113_zps54ff2d05.jpg

And the Cheiro
IMAG0128_zps12840511.jpg

Some nons from my wife's flower garden...

Asiatic Lily
ALily7113_zpsd17aa226.jpg

Calla Lily
Calla7113_zps35eaf445.jpg

Wow you are getting some great growing weather and your plants are loving it!! Is that a pod set I spy on the douglah?? Those Hungarian Chilli's are really loaded up do they go red or ripen to another colour?? Keep on growing!!

Trippa said:
Wow you are getting some great growing weather and your plants are loving it!! Is that a pod set I spy on the douglah?? Those Hungarian Chilli's are really loaded up do they go red or ripen to another colour?? Keep on growing!!
It sure is Trippa... No duds from you Dude! :)

Most of the Hungarians ripen red, but a few ripen yellow to almost white. The albinos have no chlorophyl in the flesh of their pods, and are incredibly sweet I'm told. The Almapaprika ripens red, but the Hungarians use them for stuffing and pickling, and pick them full-sized but still yellow. They're still crunchy, juicy and somewhat sweet, but not as much as when allowed to fully ripen on the plant. Cheers!

Cheers Rick! I am looking at adding a sweet/mild pickling and cream cheese stuffing ball type chilli to my grow this year ... Had a few bought ones in the past few weeks and decided they are too good!!

Trippa said:
Cheers Rick! I am looking at adding a sweet/mild pickling and cream cheese stuffing ball type chilli to my grow this year ... Had a few bought ones in the past few weeks and decided they are too good!!

Mos' def' mate... I've got seeds here for both the sweet and the mildly hot Almapaprikas... would you be interested in some?

Rick,

All looks good!

Yeah, the older camera's are a little more finicky, I've been struggling with my 10 year old D60 all season. It's great for portraits but no good on close ups..focus wants to keep focusing..maybe old aga shake..LOL

Rick,
Nice pick of the calla Lilly.
Yes my mother is 1/2 hungarion and my wife is part hungarion (all though I prefer my moms esterhazy and dobosh tortes more). I am glad you solved the mystery for me. I have been growing hungarion wax peppers and stuffing them. Next year I'll grow both and compare. My first year growing my pimiento pepper and it did not make it this year. I got some purple seeds from kingdenniz last year but I could not get them to germinate. I would like some Peruvian purple seeds if you a offering. Thanks

Everything ship-shape, Rick!  Lots of great color going on.  
The red Omnicolors look great.  You have amped up the heat
considerably for this season's grow, my friend!

WalkGood said:
Rick, happy to see you gotz the seed mon, hope none were crushed?

Everything at Casa de Stickman looks great, you are heading for a banner year my friend ^_^
Thanks so much for the seeds Ramon! Everything came through five by five, so no worries. :dance:
Devv said:
Rick,

All looks good!

Yeah, the older camera's are a little more finicky, I've been struggling with my 10 year old D60 all season. It's great for portraits but no good on close ups..focus wants to keep focusing..maybe old aga shake..LOL
I'm getting pretty frustrated with this Vivitar digital camera that I'm using as backup. The d@#& thing cuts out for no reason I can see, and will only turn back on if I hold down the power button continuously or pull the batteries and wait at least 20 minutes before re-inserting them. I wonder if it has anything to do with the humidity... it's pretty thick here now.
Scarecrw said:
 I am glad you solved the mystery for me. I have been growing hungarion wax peppers and stuffing them. Next year I'll grow both and compare. My first year growing my pimiento pepper and it did not make it this year. I got some purple seeds from kingdenniz last year but I could not get them to germinate. I would like some Peruvian purple seeds if you a offering. Thanks
Hi Jeff,
   Hope the hops are growing well for you... the parent vine I took the root cuttings from is up to the eaves of my Mom's 2-story barn, curled around and trying to grow up the sheet metal roof! Definitely grow Almapaprika! It should do well in Jersey. The Peruvian Purple still has a little bit to go until it fully ripens, but when it does you're welcome to some seeds.
PaulG said:
Everything ship-shape, Rick!  Lots of great color going on.  
The red Omnicolors look great.  You have amped up the heat
considerably for this season's grow, my friend!
Thanks Paul, as you know it starts with good seed stock and the generosity of the folks here, so you only have yourself to blame, and Shane, and Jamie, and Bonnie, and DeNNiZ, and Trippa, and Balasz, and Robert (MisterNo), and Ramon, and .... ;)

Not too much to report that's new. We continue to get rain showers on a daily basis mixed with enough sun to really make things sticky out there. Daytime highs in the upper 80's, night-time lows in the low 70's. The plants are really using it to grow... The Yellow 7 and Kapia peppers in particular have doubled in size in the last 2 weeks. All of the Chinense are blooming now, and most have set pods. I'm having trouble taking clear pics with the backup camera but will post them if I have them. 
   I had to pull 3 of the biggest Krimzon Lee Paprika pods because they were long enough for the tips of the pods to touch the plastic mulch. Ordinarily it wouldn't be a problem, but with all the rain we've been getting, there was a film of water constantly between the two and the pods were getting soft at the tip, so I trimmed away the soft parts, cut them up with some thin-sliced onions and fried them up after sampling a 1x1 inch piece... there was no sweetness because the pods were still green, but there was a surprising amount of heat... about as much as a Serrano.
   Cheers All!

stickman said:
Thanks Robert! I thought you'd enjoy some pics of your Kurtovska Kapija peppers. They're already 2 thirds of a meter tall with a lush canopy of leaves and loaded with pods!

Great Kapijas Rick!
You're giving them whole lotta love, they look excellent :)

Keep them coming!

PeriPeri said:
Coming along nicely Stickman. Certainly looks like you will be dosing up on the old Capsaicin this summer ;)
Thanks Lourens, I reckon I'll get about as much as I can handle... ;)
MisterNo said:

Great Kapijas Rick!
You're giving them whole lotta love, they look excellent :)

Keep them coming!
Thanks Robert.  I'm so pumped! I'm really looking forward to making Ajvar with them this season. I've had the commercially produced stuff from Turkey, and it didn't even come close to home made!
Time for the hump day report of the Dawn Patrol...

We continue to get sporadic rain showers mixed with enough sunshine to make things outside very sticky. On Monday, I diluted a batch of General Organics BioThrive "Bloom" nutes with a little molasses in a 2 gallon watering can, fed the potted plants and gave the remainder to the Chinenses that are being slow about setting pods. Maybe it made a difference, but hard to tell since I didn't use a control and the weather has been so warm and humid. One thing's sure... they are setting pods now. I also figured out that my backup camera takes fuzzy pics in low light situations and the camera turns off the flash when in the macro setting... so here are the best pics I can manage this morning...

Douglah
IMAG0002_zps090cdeac.jpg

Yellow 7
IMAG0004_zps0cbb884d.jpg

Maya Red Habanero
IMAG0008_zps7e557574.jpg

Cheiro... this variety seems to start out pointy...
IMAG0011_zps03376002.jpg

Scotch Bonnet
IMAG0027_zps0908c0d7.jpg

In-ground Maya Red Hab
IMAG0020_zps60c58572.jpg

Butch T has flowers but still no pods
IMAG0028_zpsbab214e0.jpg

Fish pepper has grown to about 10 inches tall and 40% variegation
IMAG0024_zps8809f62f.jpg

The largest of the Big Jim Anaheim runts is over a foot tall now and budding
IMAG0029_zpsedbc5efc.jpg

And a non shot... some of the Red-Stripe Vegetable Amaranth I got from Bigoledude... Thanks Ray, it's beginning to really take off!
IMAG0026_zpsa80f023a.jpg

Cheers All!

I love the shots earlier of your wife's flowers :)

Looks like your plants are podding up and taking off! You must be getting the same heat wave that is hitting us here. 

Did you get the NuMex seeds from the source? I was going to order from them, but it was a bit of a hassle to do an international order.

Looking good!

Back