• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Rick, how long did it took for your Manzano to start producing buds and flowers? Your Gochu looks good, I don't know what I did wrong with mine but the branches are all twisted and stuff... first time I've seen this on a plant. I will make a photo of it tomorrow.

PaulG said:
Nice pics, Rick.  Those Marconi Rossos are the best general
use sweet peppers imho.  Had some monsters last year.  This
year's crop is just starting to pod up.  I don't grow Bells anymore,
they are so easy to find anywhere.

Have a great weekend, my friend!
Thanks Paul! Do you know if there's any difference between the Marconi peppers and the Corno di Toro's? I grew up around old world Italians who had great gardens. I know they grew the long red peppers of this type (or the Cubanelles) but I wasn't into gardening then and didn't ask about it. I agree, the Omnicolor is a great all-around pepper. The flavor takes a little getting used to if you've never had them before, but they're early and prolific producers here in the north. Same deal as the Criolla Sella... give 'em lots of room to spread out, you'll need it!

I don't know, Rick, they look kind of similar, but I hadn't heard
of the Bull's Horn (translation?) until last year on the forum.

meatfreak said:
Rick, how long did it took for your Manzano to start producing buds and flowers? Your Gochu looks good, I don't know what I did wrong with mine but the branches are all twisted and stuff... first time I've seen this on a plant. I will make a photo of it tomorrow.
Geez Stefan, I doubt it was your technique if the Gochus look twisted, it must be the individual plant genetics unless you planted multiples and they all got it. I'd be curious to see what it(they) look like.

I checked back to see when I planted out, and I put my peppers in-ground on April 27th. At the time, the Manzano had forked at least once, but by the beginning of May it had forked again. It started putting out flowers one or two at a time about then, but dropped them all until a couple of weeks ago and started podding up then.

PaulG said:
I don't know, Rick, they look kind of similar, but I hadn't heard
of the Bull's Horn (translation?) until last year on the forum.
Thanks for chiming in Paul!
I had some neighbors that planted them the year we moved here... they never did very well, but that could be because the folks who planted them started too late and didn't add enough soil amendments. I have seeds for both so I decided to try the Marconi's this year. I'm glad I did... between those, the kapias and the Hungarian Tomato peppers I should have lots of sweets this season to go along with the hot and superhot chiles.

I'm glad to hear the Alma Paprika is doing so well for you.  Yours is more productive than the ones I have grown.  I usually only get 5 or 6 pods per plant, because I waited for them to fully ripen, so not enough time in the season for a second crop.  I think you'll really like the flavor.  Thick and juicy like a pimento, but with a little bit of heat when ripe.

I completely agree with Paul about the bells.  Once I discovered all the different sweets out there, most of which are more productive and earlier than the bells, I just quit growing them altogether.

Sweet Rick! It was 134-136 hiccups depending on who counted. Haha...much pain! Your Mucho Nacho looks to be a rouge plant. Did you grow from saved seeds? I know its a hybrid only true for one generation. So that may be why you got the giant green chile look. May be a great find though! Hmmm thinking of an Anaheim with Jal heat gets me pretty excited! Looking really good Rick...keep the reports flowing brotha!

highalt said:
I'm glad to hear the Alma Paprika is doing so well for you.  Yours is more productive than the ones I have grown.  I usually only get 5 or 6 pods per plant, because I waited for them to fully ripen, so not enough time in the season for a second crop.  I think you'll really like the flavor.  Thick and juicy like a pimento, but with a little bit of heat when ripe.

I completely agree with Paul about the bells.  Once I discovered all the different sweets out there, most of which are more productive and earlier than the bells, I just quit growing them altogether.
Based on what Balasz said, I tried one when it was yellow-ripe, and the heat was definitely there. It was crunchy and juicy, but not quite as sweet. That's just fine when pickling them, and that's what I plan to do with most of the pods I get from those plants, but when I've got a few quarts of pickles put by I'll let some fully ripen to try them then.

Sounds like the 3 of us are in agreement on growing Bell peppers... maybe that's the first step on the road to being a pepperhead... won't grow Bell peppers because they're too blase'... and then you get your mind blown when you find out how many other varieties there are out there! ;)

stc3248 said:
Sweet Rick! It was 134-136 hiccups depending on who counted. Haha...much pain! Your Mucho Nacho looks to be a rouge plant. Did you grow from saved seeds? I know its a hybrid only true for one generation. So that may be why you got the giant green chile look. May be a great find though! Hmmm thinking of an Anaheim with Jal heat gets me pretty excited! Looking really good Rick...keep the reports flowing brotha!
A rogue plant eh?... Hey Lourens... you know where I can get a good deal on a used Elephant gun? ;) Actually, I got the seeds from Peppergal this spring. Not that I'm upset or anything, but you're making me wonder if her seeds were unstable... I pulled up a plant that was labeled Mucho Nacho because it looked like a Serrano instead, and I already had 2 I wanted to keep. It was a runty plant next to the Criolla Sella and it looked like the CS was gonna steamroller it anyway. The seeds for that one came from the same batch.

This year's Biker Billy pods are looking similar to your Mucho Nacho pods, so now you've got me wondering.  They were received in a trade, but thought they were commercial.  Now I'm thinking they might be 2nd generation seeds.  I'll try to get a picture later to compare.

highalt said:
This year's Biker Billy pods are looking similar to your Mucho Nacho pods, so now you've got me wondering.  They were received in a trade, but thought they were commercial.  Now I'm thinking they might be 2nd generation seeds.  I'll try to get a picture later to compare.
Yup, you're right Bonnie, but yours is a darker green than mine. It looks like those varieties are unstable beyond F1
The Dawn Patrol report this morning was a quickie affair because it's  a showery morning with occasional pounding rain... I took a few very quick pics with no time for composition before I had to dash back inside.

This Vesena plant was one of the runts, but now is about a foot and a half tall and blossoming. I found some dropped skirts underneath it this morning too.
SANY1340_zps9527d1fe.jpg

Krimzon Lee paprika nearly full size... they've gotta start ripening soon
SANY1341_zps19c52877.jpg

The biggest of the Big Jim Anaheim runts... I may yet get some of these pods
SANY1340_zps9527d1fe.jpg

The not-Mulato definitely looks like a Cayenne. Since I got it this far, I'll keep it to find out what it's like. I refuse to be disappointed though... I have so much that's doing so well, there's no reason to be.
SANY1343_zpsb423b113.jpg

TGIF all!

You need a waterproof camera Rick or Rain hood ... This won't do at all ;). Seriously though looking good... Those runts are really coming through now ... How is the temp holding ... Warm rains I presume??

Looking great as always Rick!  Looking like the Chinenses are gonna be podding up soon, ill keep my fingers crossed for ya! 

Congrats on the manzano pods as well, I know those can be a pain in the tail to get to take! I am looking to grow those next time around. 

Keep it up and we are loving those dawn updates!

Rick,

Rain is almost always a good thing, if it were raining here right now I'd be standing in it...no wait...dancing!

Your grow is just going to take another huge leap in the next few days with the warmer weather and rain...

Trippa said:
You need a waterproof camera Rick or Rain hood ... This won't do at all ;). Seriously though looking good... Those runts are really coming through now ... How is the temp holding ... Warm rains I presume??

Devv said:
Rick,

Rain is almost always a good thing, if it were raining here right now I'd be standing in it...no wait...dancing!

Your grow is just going to take another huge leap in the next few days with the warmer weather and rain...

S'right Trippa! It's been between 18 and 33 Celsius here all week, and as Scott says, "Rain is almost always a good thing". :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thanks guys!

MGOLD86 said:
Looking great as always Rick!  Looking like the Chinenses are gonna be podding up soon, ill keep my fingers crossed for ya! 

Congrats on the manzano pods as well, I know those can be a pain in the tail to get to take! I am looking to grow those next time around. 

Keep it up and we are loving those dawn updates!
How right you are Matt! I knew I had some pencil eraser sized pods in the upper canopy of a few of my chinenses, but I got a pleasant jolt when I lifted up the skirt and petticoats on the Jamaican Hot Chocolate...

SANY1346_zpsf4542068.jpg

SANY1347_zps8c8f6ccd.jpg

Wow! The side branching is so thick on this plant that I didn't see these until I lifted it all up to look underneath. The one in the last shot is about 2 and a half inches long... that's what I call a nice surprise!

Congrats on the poddage!

Question, did the side branching happen once in the dirt or maybe sun?

Everyone of my Chinenses did that, and yet I see some that have the "tree" look, for no better way to describe. You know single trunk for 6"s and then they fork.

Devv said:
Congrats on the poddage!

Question, did the side branching happen once in the dirt or maybe sun?

Everyone of my Chinenses did that, and yet I see some that have the "tree" look, for no better way to describe. You know single trunk for 6"s and then they fork.
Hi Scott,
   I think they all grow to the point that the main stem forks, but often side branching starts at every node before then. I pruned all my potted plants, the Orange Habs and the Cheiro. Before long I'm gonna have to do the same for the other Chinenses so they don't grow too dense. I try to let in enough light and air that there are fewer fungal issues. Summer here is often quite humid.
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nice pods! You damn northerners avoiding this crazy weather! 
I don't blame ya Chris... If I was getting whacked as often as you are this spring and summer, I'd be getting extremely irritated as well. Courage brother!

Back