• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Wow Rick!

Gone a few days and all these new pages.

Everything looks great! Really glad to see the hotties setting for you, and ripening Annuum's cant beat that!

So I guess you have similar high humidity where you're at? It was 93-97% on Long Island during the holiday...

georgej said:
I started mid January. but next year i wanna change a few things like pot up earlier and give the right nutes earlier on. i was stubborn about potting up earlier.

I'm not all that sold on OW. my habanero thats really healthy isn't bigger nor more abundant than other plants i grew from seed. we will have to wait til the season finishes to lay down real judgement, but for now that's how i feel
I hear ya G... the jury's still out...

WalkGood said:
I see growth and progress every time I look at your pictures, loads of pods ... Whoa your poblano pod is huge or you have small hands ;) only kidding my friend. Awesome work and you will soon have great harvests ^_^
Thanks Ramon... I appreciate the good vibe!
Dot Com said:
Very nice. Yeah, posting here makes us all photography saavy as far as editing/resizing & hosting goes :P

. The Maya Red looks like a rather hot one judging just by its shape. Have not heard of that one before. Paprika looks healthy and interesting to use when its finally ripened. Good luck w/ the Douglah. Mine just started podding-up as well.
Thanks for the good word Dave, glad to hear your Douglah's podding up too. Good luck with the rest of your grow this year!
DocNrock said:
Cool, the Butch T set a pod!  Right on!  Glad to see the others starting to ripen.  I know you love your Koreans.  Looking good in the hood!
Thanks Doc, I appreciate the good word from der Pfefferpulverführer! It'll probably be a week or two until I have enough Gochus for powder, but you can bet I'll be all over it when the time comes.
Devv said:
Wow Rick!

Gone a few days and all these new pages.

Everything looks great! Really glad to see the hotties setting for you, and ripening Annuum's cant beat that!

So I guess you have similar high humidity where you're at? It was 93-97% on Long Island during the holiday...
Welcome back Scott, hope you had a good time with the relatives up here in Yankeeland! NYC may have been a few degrees warmer than here, but the weather overall is much the same at this time of year.

How does this do for you Jamie?

Javanese Red Devil Chicken on the grill. I followed your recommendation and used a couple of the bumpy nagas in the coating for the chicken. There's also onion, garlic, coconut milk, sugar and salt in it. Very tasty, and what a great burn, but it's a creeper...
IMAG0054_zps640acb5f.jpg

Chicken done
IMAG0056_zpsd727edef.jpg

Javanese Spiced Green Beans
IMAG0058_zpsb03823e3.jpg

Javanese Steamed Eggplant in Dark Sauce
IMAG0057_zps8c11dce0.jpg

Plate pic
IMAG0061_zps1cec3c5a.jpg

Thanks guys! It was a different technique than I've done before. I prepped the chicken thighs by rinsing, drying, rubbing with peanut oil and seasoning with salt and pepper, then grilling indirectly until it was cooked through. The rest of the ingredients went into the blender to make a smooth paste. I took the pestle from my suribachi and lightly bruised the chicken pieces with it, but didn't hit them so hard that they fell apart. That's so more of the paste absorbs into the meat during the next step. I poured the paste into a saute pan, turned the heat up to medium, added the chicken and basted it with the sauce as it thickened up in the pan. Most of the sauce ends up on the chicken pieces... then back to the grill over direct heat until nice and crispy but not burned.

The Eggplant was savory and slightly sweet. Steaming it before frying in oil meant that the eggplant didn't soak up a huge amount of oil and the results were lighter. I left the chiles out of this dish because of the sweetness, so I could use it as a "cooler".

The green beans came out crisp-tender with the bright flavor of the tomato blended with the savory of onion, garlic and coconut milk that complimented, but didn't smother the taste of the green beans. I also chopped a couple Omnicolors into the beans for a touch of heat.

If anybody's interested, I'll pm the recipe(s).

When I checked on the chiles this morning I see all the Chinense varieties are podding up and continuing to grow in size. The Cheiro is making lots of small, round, pointed pods about the size of a dime so far. They're staying a light green rather than going Ivory like Bonnie's Cheiro Recife did last year, but similar size and shape. The pods are so small in fact that the plant seems to have more energy to grow than the Yellow Bhut next to it, and is almost half again larger.
   The Magnum Orange Hab is about 2 weeks behind where it was at this point last year, but that being said, is still chugging along predictably and podding up quickly. I figure I'll start to see ripening pods on it by the end of this month or early August.
   The Maya Red in the airpot is looking solid. Lush, dark green foliage with lots of flowers and pods, It actually started setting pods a couple weeks ahead of the one in the ground, but that one is twice the size and the pods are looking like they'll be the larger of the two. The same is true of the Yellow 7 chiles. The one in the airpot is about a foot tall and the canopy is a little wider than that... the one in-ground is about three feet tall, the canopy is about that wide and the pods are growing more quickly as well
   The JA Hot Chocolate is gonna be a  big producer for sure. The first pods are about as big as they were when I bought them last summer, so I hope they begin to ripen soon.

Unfortunately, the Trinidad Perfume that was failing to thrive looked like it finally gave up the ghost. Not sure why, but whatever... I pulled it up to give the Omnicolor room to expand into. Good thing too, 'cause the Omnicolors grew out about a foot in the last week, and up another 6 inches. I pinched back everything that hung out past the edge of the raised bed, but there's still a boatload of pods on the 2 plants and they still have a little space to expand into.

The Ochsenhorn and Krimzon Lee Paprika continue to ripen... I think they may be ready to pick sometime next week. I keep finding more Gochus starting to ripen, so it'll be time to dig out the rack and start making ristras pretty soon. I'm starting to see ripening Chimayo's too, so August looks like time to start making powders again. I'll get out this afternoon and see if I can get some pics then.

Have a good hump-day all!

Hi Rick!

Crazy foodie pics, as usual :-)
I sent you a PM with the Pickled Almapaprika recipe of my Mom!
How are the two plants producing?

Balázs

Thanks so much for your Mom's pickled pepper recipe ! I promise to put it to good use. Here are pics of the 2 Almapaprika and 2 Tomato pepper plants I have going...
IMAG0063_zpse7772070.jpg

This Tomato pepper is starting to ripen up and there are another 4 big peppers above it!
IMAG0062_zpsf8dfb28a.jpg

IMAG0064_zps5e35f500.jpg
IMAG0070_zps3067ac67.jpg

The pods on the Vesena are starting to do their horizontal corking thing
IMAG0075_zps48bba85d.jpg

Pods getting started on the Fish pepper
IMAG0065_zps6e7744e1.jpg

And the Big Jim Anaheim is beginning to flower
IMAG0072_zpsd01e3d2e.jpg

Ripening pod on the Chimayo', there are 4 more further inside...
IMAG0066_zps0f105069.jpg

A better pic of the first Butch T pod
IMAG0067_zps4d225132.jpg

And the Scotch Bonnet next to it
IMAG0069_zpsc55414ba.jpg

That's ten... ten more for a bump...

HabaneroHead said:
Thanks Balázs!

Another pod on the Yellow 7... only a few larger than a pencil eraser, but both plants are dropping skirts like nobody's business!
IMAG0071_zps9e281ac4.jpg

Except for the beetle-chewed leaves, this is the greenest and healthiest the Douglah has looked. I think feeding it was the right decision. It's also got about 20-25 small pods on it, so it's looking like it'll be a great producer too.

IMAG0076_zps28b58a50.jpg

This is one of the beetles doing all the damage. They're very widespread in this area, and not at all confined to gardens. Conditions this spring with all that rain followed by very warm temperatures caused a population explosion I think. The next step is to have them identified and see if there's an organic way to deal with them short of going outside with flashlights late at night and hand-picking them off all the plants.
IMAG0083_zps0f6e3859.jpg

This sunflower shows the kind of damage they do
IMAG0086_zps5a0b610d.jpg

Here's the Omnicolor after being pinched back... it was hanging over the sides of the raised bed by about a foot.
IMAG0080_zps1d80c784.jpg

Here's the Yellow Bhut in it's entirety... about a foot and a half tall by 2 feet wide.
IMAG0082_zps827a2faf.jpg

Magnum Orange Hab in toto...
IMAG0081_zps40b7b783.jpg

Yellow 7 in #5 airpot
IMAG0077_zps1ecc49b8.jpg

Maya Red in toto...
IMAG0078_zps16697247.jpg

A Guajillo blossoming
IMAG0073_zpsbf644550.jpg

That's about the best I can do until Saturday Greg... have a good evening all!
Trippa said:
Can't believe the production you are getting now Rick. You must be happy?? I am amazed that the Runty Fish Pepper is starting to pod so soon
I'm pumped, you bet Trippa! The only thing that would make me happier right now is to get the beetles to leave everything of mine alone!

Hi Chris... similar I believe, but not Japanese beetles. Those have bronze wing cases and metallic green head and thorax. The ones we have now have a tan background color with darker brown mottling over that... sorta like a pinto bean coloration. It looks like they are actually Oriental Beetles...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_beetle

I'd rather avoid using chemicals to knock them down, but I see they make traps to lure them in with sex hormone, and they can't get back out to eat, so they die. I'll have to get some to hang near the veggies and peppers.

Back