• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

+1 what Doc said, Rick! Loving the annuums, chinense coming on, Maya Red was smart move. Supposed to be earlier, lovely taste. On my "to grow" next year.

Cute story, in a real "Southern Appalachian" way: first time I ever got a Pepsi without having to share it with brothers, Mama put us on beans, tomatoes, picking Japanese beetles. It was hot, my youngest bro whined, but we all got half quart jar+ of them--I let the baby have some of mine, not that Ma was THAT strict on a little kid. She paid us a penny a piece. (Not that she counted, really.) And we had enough left for a candy bar each as well. Striped cuke beetle was actually on cukes yesterday afternoon (rather than squash) late when I went to check cukes. Have gotten so de-squemish, given the rain, heat, bugs, I just smashed it between fingers. Earwigs, stinkbugs, whatever: "smushing" by hand. The hanging bags work. But I also bought 7 of them this morning in the "respite from Mama-Sit" moments. Why? If my neighbors have JBs, and they do, I'm just drawing all the cussed things to me, which will eventually get to garden in greater numbers than before. But, if neighbors have some bags (as they now do), we share responsibility for offing them.

Great hauls of annuums, :party:  Javanese Chix to die for +1 blanching eplant, looked amazing! And thank you so much for the pepper ferts ideas. Gave the manzanos--since, astoundingly one of the red has serious blooms :shocked: --fish ferts, high nitrogen, tossed a little vermicompost on for good nitrogen measure this morn. And ordered the BioBloom last week to hasten down wind some. Compost teas are great but just can't go through all that once per week. Or, I can't and they all don't need same things. Again, thanks Rick! Some beautiful pulls and love that jerk base!

Rick, do you have a good recipe for Bulgoghi? I've had a request for some and I've seen several different ways to do it online but not sure I trust a couple of them. One called for Brandy and one for Orange Juice and while they might be some good variation on it, she'll want the original.

Podding up there now if they'll just rippen faster, right.

DocNrock said:
You do a masterful job with the climate that you do have, Rick.  They're looking great.  Nice box of heat from Vincent!

Thanks Doc, as we get into the middle of July, the peppers usually start to ripen here. Last year was an exception since everything was 2 weeks earlier. We have 'til at least the end of September before there's danger of frost, and sometimes that can extend into early October... say, 11 to 13 more weeks for us here. I'm amazed that StefanW has done as well as he has with the "biblical" spring he just had, and he only has another 8 to 10 more weeks left.

I'm trying to come up with ideas for how to use the pepper love I got from Jamie and Vince, but I'm afraid that I'll have to powder most of it so I don't have any go bad before I get around to eating them. I really want to get a taste of the Yellow Primo, Giant Naga, SBJ7, White Bhut and the Large JA Hab by themselves, but the rest go in the dehydrator this weekend.

annie57 said:
+1 what Doc said, Rick! Loving the annuums, chinense coming on, Maya Red was smart move. Supposed to be earlier, lovely taste. On my "to grow" next year.

Cute story, in a real "Southern Appalachian" way: first time I ever got a Pepsi without having to share it with brothers, Mama put us on beans, tomatoes, picking Japanese beetles. It was hot, my youngest bro whined, but we all got half quart jar+ of them--I let the baby have some of mine, not that Ma was THAT strict on a little kid. She paid us a penny a piece. (Not that she counted, really.) And we had enough left for a candy bar each as well. Striped cuke beetle was actually on cukes yesterday afternoon (rather than squash) late when I went to check cukes. Have gotten so de-squemish, given the rain, heat, bugs, I just smashed it between fingers. Earwigs, stinkbugs, whatever: "smushing" by hand. The hanging bags work. But I also bought 7 of them this morning in the "respite from Mama-Sit" moments. Why? If my neighbors have JBs, and they do, I'm just drawing all the cussed things to me, which will eventually get to garden in greater numbers than before. But, if neighbors have some bags (as they now do), we share responsibility for offing them.

Great hauls of annuums, :party:  Javanese Chix to die for +1 blanching eplant, looked amazing! And thank you so much for the pepper ferts ideas. Gave the manzanos--since, astoundingly one of the red has serious blooms :shocked: --fish ferts, high nitrogen, tossed a little vermicompost on for good nitrogen measure this morn. And ordered the BioBloom last week to hasten down wind some. Compost teas are great but just can't go through all that once per week. Or, I can't and they all don't need same things. Again, thanks Rick! Some beautiful pulls and love that jerk base!
Thanks for the good vibe and the +1 on Beetle Traps Annie. Like I told Matt, I want to be assured something's gonna work as advertised before I put any money into it, and the testimonials say the Beetle Traps work.
Glad the ferts perked up your Manzanos and got the flowers to stick. I hope you put a little molasses in with them too. It made a huge difference with all my chiles, but especially the   Douglah and Yellow 7 in the airpots.
Have you ever tried the Maya Red pods before? I lucked into a handful of pods at the County Fair last year. The MA Master Gardener  program had a booth set up there and were giving them out. I was impressed with the taste, and especially the early time to maturity.

RocketMan said:
Rick, do you have a good recipe for Bulgoghi? I've had a request for some and I've seen several different ways to do it online but not sure I trust a couple of them. One called for Brandy and one for Orange Juice and while they might be some good variation on it, she'll want the original.

Podding up there now if they'll just rippen faster, right.
Thanks for the good word Bill! Yup... I do have a recipe book called "Growing Up in a Korean Kitchen" by Hi Soo Shin Hepinstal. Great authentic recipes covering a wide range of favorite Korean foods, written by a Korean expat. If you really like the cuisine you should get a copy. I'll pm the recipe. Cheers!

stc3248 said:
Ripe pods...care packages...all with some hellishly hot Jerk Paste on top. Ahhhhh....life is right at Rick's place! Vincent is da man!
Agreed... He's da man fo' sho'!

Glad to see you're back from the Carolinas and the plants you took pics of are kickin'! My Manzano pods still have a ways to go to catch yours, but I've got half-dollar sized pods now, and the Red Rocoto has started flowering, but hasn't set any pods yet.

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,

I hope you haven't started preparing the pickled Almapaprika... I made a mistake when I was copying the recipe! I sent you a PM, please read it carefully!

Balázs

Thanks Balázs... read and understood! I hadn't purchased the ingredient in question yet, so you're in good time. The replacement is readily available, so I'll pick it up today and be ready to make pickled Almapaprika as soon as I have enough to fill a few quart jars.

On a related topic... how do you use the Tomato Peppers when they ripen? I have one starting to get red, and the others probably won't be far behind.

HI Rick,

Regarding the pickle: use untreated salt, which does not have anything in it, just the NaCl.
I am aware of two usage of Tomato Pepper:
- It is preserved as a pepper paste: grind it (for example in a food processor), give 20 dkg of salt to each kilogram, and seal it in jars. It has an intense pepper flavour, and can be used in cooking, or even in sandwiches
- It is consumpted raw: as garnish with bacon, sausages, sandwiches

The industry is preparing Vitamin C from this type, which is very rich in that. During the II. world war the English army bought hundred of tons of the condensed Tomato Pepper paste because of its hight Vitamin content.

Cheers!

Balázs

Great to see the pods getting to the point where you can use them!

You never know, your not jalapeno mucho nacho may still pick up a bit of heat when it ripens to red. 

and dessert will be some Black Raspberry ice cream with some of Bill's "Dragon's Blood" sauce.

IMAG0035_zpsd8b06185.jpg

The sauce was quite thick... repeated shaking didn't dislodge any of it, but that's why god made chopsticks, right? A very upfront sauce... the Raspberries and Chocolate flavor came across clearly, and were followed shortly after by a pretty good burn that lasted a good 10 minutes despite having been eaten together with ice cream. Not overwhelming either, so it didn't dominate the dessert, but complemented it. I could definitely see baking this into raspberry fudge brownies or stirring a little into a chocolate fondue for dipping fruit into. Camping trip s'mores will never be the same! ;)

I have to work a full shift tomorrow, but hope you all have a happy July 4th!

Great review Rick, Thanks

HabaneroHead said:
HI Rick,

Regarding the pickle: use untreated salt, which does not have anything in it, just the NaCl.
I am aware of two usage of Tomato Pepper:
- It is preserved as a pepper paste: grind it (for example in a food processor), give 20 dkg of salt to each kilogram, and seal it in jars. It has an intense pepper flavour, and can be used in cooking, or even in sandwiches
- It is consumpted raw: as garnish with bacon, sausages, sandwiches

The industry is preparing Vitamin C from this type, which is very rich in that. During the II. world war the English army bought hundred of tons of the condensed Tomato Pepper paste because of its hight Vitamin content.

Cheers!
Thanks Balázs, I use Kosher salt for pickling, so no iodide. Great idea using the Tomato peppers for what amounts to Ajvar as well. I'll taste them together and separately when they ripen to get the best tasting product!

What an interesting historical footnote also. I wonder what the Tommies thought about the tins of pepper paste?

Stefan_W said:
Great to see the pods getting to the point where you can use them!

You never know, your not jalapeno mucho nacho may still pick up a bit of heat when it ripens to red. 
You bet Stefan! Are you starting to get usable pods yet? I suppose I should leave at least one pod on the Not Mucho Nacho to see if you're right, but while I'm waiting for the other sweet peppers to ripen, I'll keep pulling them to cook with. Cheers!

RocketMan said:
Great review Rick, Thanks

My pleasure Bill, you've got a couple of great sauces there!

The report of the Dawn Patrol was delayed this morning while I was helping my wife unpack and stow her stuff after her trip to Canada, but now I have the primary camera back, and 30 pics to share...

You asked about some full-plant pics Greg, so here are the ones for the chiles in air-pruning pots...

Douglah
SANY0002_zpsea2045f3.jpg

SANY0010_zps261f646d.jpg

Yellow 7
SANY0003_zps432d6a22.jpg

SANY0011_zpscb4e2e67.jpg

Maya Red
SANY0004_zpsd85d6f45.jpg

SANY0012_zpsf1d5eb8f.jpg

Criolla Sella
SANY0001_zps9c723951.jpg

Peruvian Purple is coloring up
SANY0005_zps1ccf9fee.jpg

Magnum Orange Habs podding up
SANY0006_zps3e7b604f.jpg

A pic of the interior of the larger Omnicolor... this thing's loaded!
SANY0007_zpsb6f63bc9.jpg

20 more pics for a bump...

Bodeen said:
Here is your bump and looking good.
Thanks BD!

You were right Bonnie... SeanW confirms this is a Cheiro Recife.
SANY0009_zpsc2478a70.jpg

JA Hot Chocolate
SANY0014_zps05aca990.jpg

In-ground Yellow 7
SANY0016_zps5272df77.jpg

SANY0017_zps5753d46d.jpg

In-ground Maya Red
SANY0015_zps8a068fb9.jpg

Butch T
SANY0028_zpsf6f0a936.jpg

SANY0029_zps67903aca.jpg

Sean also IDs this as a Scotch Bonnet from Pepperjoe
SANY0027_zps8826a41c.jpg

Aji Panca blooms... some dropped skirts today, so pods soon to follow...
SANY0025_zpsbc543d2e.jpg

Red Rocoto flower. None of the flowers have stuck on this one yet... probably because it's half the size of the Manzano. I'll have to feed it up so it gets bigger .
SANY0021_zps879aa86b.jpg

10 more for a bump...

Thanks Scott!

Gochu peppers
SANY0018_zpsd3663ccc.jpg

First variegated pod on the Fish pepper
SANY0019_zps776fef66.jpg

Hungarian "coloring" peppers (sweet paprika) pods are about 5 inches long (12cm) and the same height as the Kapias
SANY0020_zps156995cd.jpg

Holy Mole' hybrid
SANY0022_zpsf2ec8701.jpg

Big Jim Anaheims really starting to ramp up now
SANY0023_zpse12ff91b.jpg

and the Guajillos... the red you're seeing is a ripening Krimzon Lee Paprika
SANY0024_zps3b27cef8.jpg

The first Chilhuacle Negro pod is starting to ripen up
SANY0026_zpsc7e53d76.jpg

Urfa Biber is sizing up quite a bit now
SANY0030_zps2594ef5a.jpg

And a local color pic... Trotters exercising at the county fairgrounds racetrack across the street
SANY0013_zps0f996260.jpg

Have a great weekend all!

Looking great as always Rick, you got a lotta stuff turning and a ton of pods hanging off those super plants.  Really like the whole plant shots, about hall tall is your Douglah?? 

MGOLD86 said:
Looking great as always Rick, you got a lotta stuff turning and a ton of pods hanging off those super plants.  Really like the whole plant shots, about hall tall is your Douglah?? 
Thanks Matt! The Douglah is about as wide as it is tall... about a foot and a half each way in a #5 airpot. It had chlorosis quite a bit during its time indoors, and also during the rainy period we had back in June. It's greened up, doubled in size and started setting pods after I started feeding it weekly. If I'd put it in-ground I'm sure it would be as big as the Yellow 7 I put in the pepper plot. That one's 3 feet tall by 3 and a half feet wide. I had to start pinching back the Douglah last week so it wouldn't encroach on the neighbors too much. One of the drawbacks to a drip irrigation system... you can't just reshuffle the pots...

I hope you have a good freezer and a reliable dehydrator Rick .... You are going to have pods coming out of your kazoo if this keeps going. Great work and the Chinense are really kicking into gear now as well. Its all good!!

Thanks guys. Life is good... the anticipation of waiting for the pods to ripen is second only to waiting for them to germinate in the first place... after all, once they've sprouted you just have to keep them alive and happy long enough to get pods, right?  (there I go with the straight lines again...) :shh:

Back