• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

I do not remember who's picks I was looking at on here buy he had some cool effects on some and some black and white. I thought they looked cool enough to frame and hang on the wall. My house was built in the 1800's and I have a lot of retro black n whites. Just something the wife and I like. She bought a retro microwave to fit the style of our kitchen and I thought that was kinda funny. I think a nice black and white would look cool on the wall.
Just my two cents.

Scarecrw said:
I do not remember who's picks I was looking at on here buy he had some cool effects on some and some black and white. I thought they looked cool enough to frame and hang on the wall. My house was built in the 1800's and I have a lot of retro black n whites. Just something the wife and I like. She bought a retro microwave to fit the style of our kitchen and I thought that was kinda funny. I think a nice black and white would look cool on the wall.
Just my two cents.
Hey, this is America... whatever floats your boat! :)

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,

Amazing pictures! Beware, maybe next time you will be invited to the Playboy Mansion to take some photos about the bunnies! :-)

Balázs
Thanks for the good thoughts Balázs... somehow I'm not so sure I'm destined to be the next Ken Marcus, but I'm having fun anyway! ;)

Devv said:
I like the look the whitebox gives to the subject. The picture is way softer lighting wise than if you set them on a plate....like I have been doing.

So I give it a thumbs up!
Agreed... I was impressed with the pics Ramon was taking with one, and when Matt showed how simple and inexpensive it was I had to try it.
   Cheers Scott!

Hi Folks,
   I'm super busy this week filling in for other aides that are out on vacation as well as servicing my own clients, so not too much time to hit the board, but wanted to give a shout out to Ramon. He sent me a package with an MoA SB, Trini Scorp, Red Bhut, some JA Habs, some Bird's-Eye chiles and JA Hab powder. Thanks guy... you rock!
SANY0167_zps77b9a4dc.jpg

I'm hoping things slow down enough to get a bit caught up this weekend, but we have a house guest coming on Saturday and on Sunday I'm going out to my Mom's to help her pick Blueberries. She's a spry 72, but she has a half-acre of bushes to pick and they're so loaded down with berries, a lot of them are bent over and touching the ground.
   Cheers all!

Looking great Rick!  I am glad the lightbox is catching on, it makes some really great looking photos.  I like the lighter look, and I am now messing with the brightness and contrast after I take the photos.  I am considering getting post production software so I can mess with it even more. 

Nice score Rick ... what am I talking about I sent that, lol. Great picture, hope you enjoy!

MGOLD86 said:
Looking great Rick!  I am glad the lightbox is catching on, it makes some really great looking photos.  I like the lighter look, and I am now messing with the brightness and contrast after I take the photos.  I am considering getting post production software so I can mess with it even more.
Photoshop is the best and if you can shoot in RAW it's even better for processing.

WalkGood said:
Nice score Rick ... what am I talking about I sent that, lol. Great picture, hope you enjoy!

Photoshop is the best and if you can shoot in RAW it's even better for processing.
Light room/Photoshop/canons own DPP and I am sure Nokia will have one too ... Get it right in the frame and anything with basic raw editing capability will work fine in my experience. The beauty of Photoshop/light room is the ability to plug in all sorts of lenses dependent on what you used and it will automatically calibrate barrel distortion etc ...

Hi all, just a quick post before I have to go to work... 

Today's pull...

SANY0169_zps41d0adc9.jpg

The sweet peppers are all coming in now, and here are a few pics...

Hungarian Tomato Pepper; variety "Greygo"... A thick-fleshed, candy-sweet and crunchy pepper. Extremely good for fresh use in summer salads! It takes a little longer to mature than the thinner-fleshed peppers, but because of its smaller size it takes less time than a big, blocky  pepper like a Bell-type.
SANY0172_zps7482f932.jpg

SANY0177_zps6db1532c.jpg

Marconi Rosso... Matures a little earlier than a Bell-type also. Not quite as sweet as the Tomato Pepper, but takes about the same time to mature and also has thick, crunchy flesh. I think this is the Italian pepper of choice for roasting and peeling.
SANY0173_zps54a5f1df.jpg

SANY0176_zps22730cb0.jpg

Krimzon Lee Paprika-type... Matures earlier than either type pictured before this. Medium-fleshed pepper, about as sweet and a little smaller than the Marconi. The flesh is too thin to roast and peel, and there is mild heat in the placenta and ribs inside, so if you want a more zesty frying pepper this might be it.
SANY0174_zps28c10b5b.jpg

SANY0178_zpsf8458ae8.jpg

TGIF, and hope you all have a great weekend!

TGIF indeed my friend! Nice description of those pods...the milds and mediums are so under-appreciated on here. I use way more sweets than superhots in my house. A couple of my sauces are based on numex types.. Mmmmm.....Keep on keeping on brotha! 

MGOLD86 said:
That'll be cool Matt! I'll be looking forward to checking out your results.
stc3248 said:
Wow...what a great looking group of pods! That powder has a perfect vivid color too....SCORE! 

stc3248 said:
TGIF indeed my friend! Nice description of those pods...the milds and mediums are so under-appreciated on here. I use way more sweets than superhots in my house. A couple of my sauces are based on numex types.. Mmmmm.....Keep on keeping on brotha! 
I know, right? Ramon's a straight-up guy! I'm looking forward to sampling his pods and powder.

True, this is "The Hot Pepper", but I also like to grow sweets and NuMex types and this is a logical extension. Why limit yourself?
Devv said:
Nice score Rick, that Ramon is a good man!

And I hear ya about being busy!
:)
WalkGood said:

I'm sure I will Ramon, and thanks again! Now I just have to figure out what to make with them...

My camera doesn't give me the option of saving my pics in different formats, but it seems to work well as is... if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
;)
georgej said:
loving those pics. the douglah is looking gorgeous too!
Thanks G, how're your 7pots coming?

Trippa said:
Light room/Photoshop/canons own DPP and I am sure Nokia will have one too ... Get it right in the frame and anything with basic raw editing capability will work fine in my experience. The beauty of Photoshop/light room is the ability to plug in all sorts of lenses dependent on what you used and it will automatically calibrate barrel distortion etc ...

Trippa said:
Those pictures look good Rick ... I heard you have some high tech light box or something ;) ... It's amazing what simple materials can make. Nice work
Thanks for the tips Trippa!

I have a sister who teaches art in U Wisconsin - Eau Claire, but this is something new for me. Thanks for the good vibe!
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nice work Rick, you are headed down a slippery slope I tell you!
Probably Chris, but WTH, eh? As long as I can experiment without spending extra money.
Devv said:
Nice pod pics and reviews!

I have access to photoshop, and other goodies, what I don't have is the time...so my pics may suffer...but what the heck :D
I hear ya brother! This past week has been extremely busy here as well. Cheers!

Back