• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

stickman said:
Y'know, you're right... As bad as the beetles have been this year, I should put down some milky spore when I pull up the garden this fall, and maybe again just before I plant next year. I was thinking about beneficial Nemetodes, but our soil is so sandy that I don't trust them to survive long enough to be a help. It's just too dry. The Nightshades love it though.

How close to the Ozarks are you Buzz? As far south as you are, I'd think you'd get more warm weather than I do unless you're up in the hills. Good luck in any case, I hope we all get as many pods as we can handle, and maybe even a little more... ;)
I've read the best time to apply milky spore is in late July through August, when the new generation of grubs is hatching and feeding.  I guess anytime in fall would work, before they go deeper for the winter.  They feed less in the springtime, since they are getting ready to pupate and emerge as adults, so I think spring application is less effective.  On the other hand, milky spore is very hardy, so it might just lie in wait for the next generation.

I'm well up into the Ozark Plateau and our weather is significantly cooler than the rest of the state, Zone 6b compared to Zone 7 for most of the state.  Still, with the few large plants already producing a little and many of the potted plants starting to bloom, I'm hopeful for a bountiful fall crop.

Rick, mine have never gone that color before turning brown either. Mine are nit that pointy either. Those look like something killer though. I like the pointy tails i see on a few there. :)
Your plants seem to load up well. Not all of mine have beed doing that. The douglah you show still syicks out in my mind. That is just unreal!

stickman said:
Well the seeds came from some JA Hot Chocolate pods I bought at a local farmstand last year, and all the plants they grew there were open pollinated. I wouldn't be that disappointed if it turned out to be a red Habanero cross... I'd just make another batch of "Rick's Red" using my own chile pods this time. ;)
I'm afraid Trippa is right in this case, I grew quite some browns last season and none went orange or red first :( As long the taste is good, that's what matters.

OK, thanks for the consensus folks... this is the first year i've grown most of my Chinense varieties so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Since it's ripe, I pulled the Not JA Hot Chocolate, and here it is...   8/5/13 edit: I've since figured out that this was a mislabeled Maya Red Habanero... sorry folks. :oops:
SANY0113_zps4993e398.jpg

The closest guess I have as to what the Hot Chocolate crossed with to make this pepper is Aji Lemon... Maybe that explains the earlier ripening, pointed shape, and color... yellow + brown= red?

Nice Ripe Chinense no matter what it is Rick!! Personally it looks like my Naga Morich pods ... very similar. Maybe a naga morich cross??
They Ripen quite quickly for a Chinense and have a very similar orangey/red hue with the pointed bottom and rounded shoulders
Who knows though you may be bang on ...

I would guess naga too. It also looks identical to the shape of the madame jeannettes I have at the moment, which apparently have a red variety with a different name (the name escapes me at the moment). Still a great looking pod!

Personally I would look at that not chocolate pod as a blessing...reds just taste better. Looks a ton like a red lantern hab too...so no telling what it crossed with. I doubt an Aji, because that would have no Red to pass on. I am pretty sure both Red and Green are dominant...but I think Brown is really the result of those two dominant genes (Red and Green) So a Chocolate/Chocolate cross can produce red podded plants...or maybe even if self pollinated??? Will have to read some more! Everything is looking great, never can tell what you'll be throwing on the harvest table!

Whoa I keep falling behind everywhere, I’ll have to quit work and become a full time HP dude ;)

Great haul Rick, love the look on your Korean Radishes and the rest of the haul, great job mon! Very nice pictures and dam your pods look huge, can’t wait to see some color on the Yellow Bhut’s and Maya Reds, I bet dem super tasty …

We have something similar to that beetle you captured, good on you, but ours is much smaller and greener. I’ve killed two in the last week just chewing away on the plants, I’m like hell no … hahaha. Gotta be different cause I’ve never seen mine chewing on a pod like you say but I have had a few pod damage but I think it snail induced. Fortunately it was only two and I’ll be dammed how they got past the sluggo, hehe.

I wouldn’t even begin to guess what your Not JA Hot Chocolate is a cross or turns out to be but it looks delish. Why not review the flavor and let us know the traits … hope all is well in your neck of da woods and have a super weekend brethren!

Sawyer said:
I've read the best time to apply milky spore is in late July through August, when the new generation of grubs is hatching and feeding.  I guess anytime in fall would work, before they go deeper for the winter.  They feed less in the springtime, since they are getting ready to pupate and emerge as adults, so I think spring application is less effective.  On the other hand, milky spore is very hardy, so it might just lie in wait for the next generation.

I'm well up into the Ozark Plateau and our weather is significantly cooler than the rest of the state, Zone 6b compared to Zone 7 for most of the state.  Still, with the few large plants already producing a little and many of the potted plants starting to bloom, I'm hopeful for a bountiful fall crop.
Thanks for the info Buzz! So now would be a good time to put down the Milky Spore and water it in well... I'm on it!

Thanks also for the info about your area... I'm not all that up on the states I haven't visited, so it's always interesting to learn about them.

GA Growhead said:
 The douglah you show still syicks out in my mind. That is just unreal!
Thanks Jay! Read down a little further and there's more to report...

Trippa said:
Nice Ripe Chinense no matter what it is Rick!! Personally it looks like my Naga Morich pods ... very similar. Maybe a naga morich cross??
They Ripen quite quickly for a Chinense and have a very similar orangey/red hue with the pointed bottom and rounded shoulders
Who knows though you may be bang on ...
I don't think Naga Morich Trippa... the farm where I got the pods didn't have any. They had a few different Annuums, Aji Lemon, JA Hot Chocolate, White Jellybean Habs, and Orange Habs. If Shane's right, the most likely co-progenitor would be the Orange Hab unless it's a point mutation. Oh well, Inshallah...

stc3248 said:
Personally I would look at that not chocolate pod as a blessing...reds just taste better.

I hope so Shane... I'll be sampling it with lunch later today.

So a Chocolate/Chocolate cross can produce red podded plants...or maybe even if self pollinated???

Now that's something I hadn't anticipated!

Will have to read some more! Everything is looking great, never can tell what you'll be throwing on the harvest table!

S'right... always keep 'em guessing... ;)
WalkGood said:
Whoa I keep falling behind everywhere, I’ll have to quit work and become a full time HP dude ;)

Great haul Rick, love the look on your Korean Radishes and the rest of the haul, great job mon! Very nice pictures and dam your pods look huge, can’t wait to see some color on the Yellow Bhut’s and Maya Reds, I bet dem super tasty …

Thanks Ramon, I'm sure looking forward to it... hopefully in 2-3 weeks!

We have something similar to that beetle you captured, good on you, but ours is much smaller and greener. I’ve killed two in the last week just chewing away on the plants, I’m like hell no … hahaha. Gotta be different cause I’ve never seen mine chewing on a pod like you say but I have had a few pod damage but I think it snail induced. Fortunately it was only two and I’ll be dammed how they got past the sluggo, hehe.

Well, you know how it is... even carpet bombing doesn't produce 100% casualties... ;)

I wouldn’t even begin to guess what your Not JA Hot Chocolate is a cross or turns out to be but it looks delish. Why not review the flavor and let us know the traits … hope all is well in your neck of da woods and have a super weekend brethren!

Will do!
Devv said:
First Chinense pod? Pretty!

Rick, you mentioned sun shade, here's where I bought mine:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/30-percent-black-shade-cloth/shade-cloth

One can spend a ton on shade cloth, this place is reasonable.
Thanks for the info on shade cloth Scott! I've got the URL bookmarked for this winter when  I get the stuff I'll need for next year.  Cheers!

Today's morning report is that more color is showing up in the Chinense patch!

At first I thought that the color on the Douglah pods was a bit of a suntan, but now it appears that a couple are coloring up for real.
SANY0115_zpsbd39de28.jpg

SANY0114_zpscb467ae4.jpg

More Not JA Hot Chocolates are as well
SANY0116_zps792c7e85.jpg

No sign of color on the Yellow 7s yet, but they're getting pretty big and gnarly
SANY0119_zps8755dd34.jpg

Today's pull... starting in the top left and moving clockwise... Pickling Cukes, Gochu peppers, Chimayo' chiles and Ho Bak squash.
SANY0120_zps8ad59936.jpg

Have a great Saturday all!

Devv said:
Congrats on the harvest Rick!

Those plants sure are loaded up!
Thanks Scott! I cut open the Red Hab pod to see what I had there...
SANY0121_zpsd61dfbfe.jpg

The aroma is on the light side for a Chinense, but still unmistakeable. Not many seeds for a pod of this size. I cut it up into matchsticks and tried a 2 inch matchstick (with placenta attached) for taste... Typical Chinense taste with no off flavors (no green, vegetable, or bitter). Definitely a lips and front of the tongue burn. Warming at the back and sides of the mouth, and no sensation in the throat. The burn from that piece lasted for about 8 minutes before beginning to subside. I sauteed the rest of the pod with half a yellow onion, the largest Ho Bak squash and a 3/4 pound Kielbasa.
SANY0122_zps4ed49730.jpg

I was sweating from the first bite, but the mucus in the nose didn't show up until I'd eaten most of it... definitely not a superhot... say 400k - 450k Schovilles. A nice burn and flavor. These would be great in stir-fries, jerk marinades or jellies.

Nice looking meal. Can you compare the taste of a ho bak squash with another. Pumpkin, yellow, butternut, zuk, acorn. It looks interesting and I'm always looking for new varieties to grow. Thanks.

Scarecrw said:
Nice looking meal. Can you compare the taste of a ho bak squash with another. Pumpkin, yellow, butternut, zuk, acorn. It looks interesting and I'm always looking for new varieties to grow. Thanks.
Sorry Jeff, except for the color scheme I'd say they're a mild-tasting summer squash like any other. I never could tell Yellow Crookneck from Zucchini except by texture, and I'd put this one in the same category. The skin is a striped light green and the flesh inside is a pale yellow that brightens a bit when you cook it. It looks fabulous in summer pasta salads.

That looks like a good feed Rick!! As Shane said you could guess forever on what it was crossed with. Even the original seeds they planted could already have been crossed so you would never know.
But who cares..... if it tastes good its a winner. Well it looks like you might not have to wait too much longer to get your chocolate coloured pods I hope.... I hope the douglahs live up to their heat!! The yellow 7s are looking great ... Fat looking pods.
Cheers Rick!

Thanks guys!
Trippa- S'right man, just enjoy!
georgej- You'll get there G... I have faith! I'll be interested to see what your pods end up looking like too.
Bodeen- You bet, I like eating fresh produce out of the garden as much as I like growing it!
HabaneroHead- I'm definitely going to make powder with the Chimayo' chiles, Criolla Sellas and the Koreans. The Chilhuacle Negro pods I'll probably dry whole for Mole' sauces. The red Habs like I ate yesterday I'll probably freeze and make sauces when I have them all together. The Omnicolors are filling in as my fresh-use peppers of choice. For the rest, we'll see when they ripen up and I've had a taste of them.

Today's pull.
SANY0139_zpse0d21484.jpg

Back