• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Round 1 and 2 seeds look good Rick.

Question: When do you start your onions? My seeds showed up yesterday, so I'll be ready whenever. 3 types this year, not including the green onions. One red and two white.

Jeff H said:
Round 1 and 2 seeds look good Rick.

Question: When do you start your onions? My seeds showed up yesterday, so I'll be ready whenever. 3 types this year, not including the green onions. One red and two white.

I have an unheated basement to grow the seedlings in under lights, so I usually start the seeds upstairs where it's warm and move them downstairs to the unheated basement once they've popped. They can take some cold, so they grow slowly down cellar, and I take my cue on when to transplant outside from the Evergreen Scallions I OW outside in the veggie garden. When the snow melts, the ground thaws and the soil temps get to where they begin to put out new leaves... that's when I transplant the Onion seedlings. My primary purpose in overwintering the Scallions is to let them get bigger. I plant the Scallion seeds in May, and if I harvest them in the fall, they are only the size of a pencil. If I OW them, they get as thick as my thumb in the early part of the second year. Using their new growth in the spring as an indicator is a happy bonus!

Rick your plants are looking really good and should be right on schedule for dirt day.

I have a few stubborn ones too. Some varieties never popped.

Manzano looks great too! I have two from the seeds you sent, and they look like they are going to straighten up and do something :party:

Good luck with the chili cook off, sounds like fun. With your cooking skills you should have a good outcome.

Keep it green!

Everything mear perfect as always, Rick!

The Round 1 seedlings look great, and the round 2 are making progress!

Good luck raising funds at the chili cookoff!

Seedlings are looking healthy Rick ... 3-4 months until plant out for you?? You have some nice varieties this year ... I remember a couple of seasons ago you growing only a handful of different varieties .. Now comparatively the world of Chilli's is your oyster it would seem ;) how are the overwinters going??

Devv said:
Rick your plants are looking really good and should be right on schedule for dirt day.

I have a few stubborn ones too. Some varieties never popped.

Manzano looks great too! I have two from the seeds you sent, and they look like they are going to straighten up and do something :party:

Good luck with the chili cook off, sounds like fun. With your cooking skills you should have a good outcome.

Keep it green!
Hi Scott, Glad to hear the Manzanos will be viable for you this year. :)  I came home from work tonight and found a Piri Piri seedling up in its pot, so they're coming around... just need to hear from the Tabascos and Brown Eggs. :dance:

PeriPeri said:
Wow, all looking great there Rick! Say that there Naga King Jolokia is looking superfine - it's going to reward you with much firepower for sure ;)

I know, right? It's my biggest grower so far this season! Go man, go! :onfire:
stc3248 said:
Dang it rick...I started so late and planted such long germ varieties!!! I get jealous looking at them little plants all upright and green!!! 
If it puts a smile on your face Chief, then good enough... you've certainly got nothing to prove after your last 2 seasons! ;)
PaulG said:
Everything mear perfect as always, Rick!

The Round 1 seedlings look great, and the round 2 are making progress!

Good luck raising funds at the chili cookoff!

Thanks for the good vibe Paul! It's my first time doing it, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. There's gonna be a Zydeco band playing during the cookoff, so at least we'll do some two-step dancing and get to try a lot of chilis. :cool:
Spicegeist said:

I've got one of these grown from your seed going too.  Was one of the first varieties to germinate for me, must be great seed... can't wait to see these fruit!

Heh... he's got my juices flowing too Charles... :drooling:

I didn't have any popping problems with the Tabasco last year (mid-Feb), they set a lot of fruit, pretty plant, but they were sloooow to ripen and didn't get a high percentage of them ripe before frost. Being a few weeks earlier will help with that I'd say.

Lookin' good, things are starting to roll along.
Good luck at the cook-off.

I don't remember any issues with my tabascos germinating either. JJJ is right, they take forever to ripen. Out of 4 plants, I harvested 1 gallon freezer bag full of ripe pods and come the first frost, I was able to fill 4 pint jars with green pods that I pickled for dicing up on pizza and for the hot vinegar. 

If you do have bad seeds, make sure to get some more started before it is too late in the year. 

Trippa said:
Seedlings are looking healthy Rick ... 3-4 months until plant out for you?? You have some nice varieties this year ... I remember a couple of seasons ago you growing only a handful of different varieties .. Now comparatively the world of Chilli's is your oyster it would seem ;) how are the overwinters going??

Hey Trippa! Thanks for the good vibe... The first Piri Piri is standing up straight.
SANY0764_zpsd4ab56f2.jpg

The OW plants are all still alive... the Yellow 7 just barely. I don't think it likes the temperatures down in my unheated cellar. ATM the only green on it is the main trunk to the first fork and one of the lower side branches. As long as there's still some green on it I'll hang on...
SANY0768_zps7ef8eefb.jpg

The Butch T is beginning to look a bit stressed too... the leaves are yellowing and withering in some cases, but the stalks are all strongly green. Even if I lose the leaves at this point I'm hopeful that the plant will make it through to spring.
SANY0765_zpsfeed18f3.jpg

The Douglah is just holding its own, but I figure that as a win since it was what I wanted going into this.
SANY0767_zpsb805a73c.jpg

Not surprisingly, the happiest of the OW plants is the Manzano. The leaves are looking a bit yellowish, but it's covered with them and looking healthy for as cold as it is down there.
SANY0766_zps7d7e2b67.jpg

Have a great Saturday all!

Looking good, Rick!!!

Devv said:

'Yall kill me!

Turkeys we got, but evidently not enough....and no more pets needed...LOL

Try sunflowers, Scott or short ones, but with lots of seedhead, big. I ordered a ton of ole timey gonzo sunflowers for g-hopper thugs, and cornworm. Birds knock seed out of head. Birds go to ground. Hoping for cowbirds since they're big, we have a lot of them, and non-discriminatory about bug food. And they're quick. Obviously what you're doing keeping brush/grass cut will help but on a year when the "thugs" go at it, my grandmother told me about sunflowers--reason she planted them in garden. Just a thought. Low flying stupid turkey's in garden . . . uh . . . lol

stickman said:

Thanks for the heads-up Scott. I've never grown them before, and had no idea they'd be so long in germing. Cheers!

Jeff H said:
I don't remember any issues with my tabascos germinating either. JJJ is right, they take forever to ripen. Out of 4 plants, I harvested 1 gallon freezer bag full of ripe pods and come the first frost, I was able to fill 4 pint jars with green pods that I pickled for dicing up on pizza and for the hot vinegar. 

If you do have bad seeds, make sure to get some more started before it is too late in the year. 

Tip on those Tabs: they are the last of mine to fully mature but if take off some of yellow, just a few, a bit at time as soon as have pods, just a esp. from bottom, some reason makes them ripen faster on each plant. And total sun. Tabs want full sun. One year I planted about 6 in far eastern end of garden and faster growing plants shaded them as day went on. Hardly any ripened and none approached the 4' height or more usually get. Lesson learned. I don't think they care about elbow room but they do want to be the tallest thing growing in the vicinity to ripen.

Shame about the OW stress. They look like they still have a ton of energy though. I bet they'll bounce back. What kind of air temps are you dealing with?

Rick, how wet are those o/w plants? Every time you photo them the soil looks wet. Maybe that is what is hurting the yellow 7. 

Back