• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

stickman said:

Thanks for sharing the flavor profile of the Indian peppers  Lourens, it's not one i know. The potting soil I put my seedlings in is just a general-purpose commercial mix called ProMix-BX  http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/pro-mix-bx-mycorrhizae-growing-medium/
As a lot of people noted, having a mycorrhizae innoculation in the soil seems to make for happier and healthier plants. Rather than buy the fungus spores and do it myself, I buy this stuff which has it already added. Peat-based mixes are acidic, and this one is pre-buffered with dolomitic lime to a neutral pH. Quick and easy... :)

Pro-Mix is good stuff.

ronniedeb said:

Yes, I've read that. Not tried Aji Cristal yet. Seeds germinating at the moment though, so should be able to compare them in late summer.

That'll be an interesting comparison to check in on... cheers!

Penny said:
You babies are looking great, Rick!! :dance:

Thanks Miz Penny... your babies aren't looking too shabby either. ;)

poypoyking said:
Nice to see everything looking so well Rick.  I meant to start my Pubescens 3 weeks ago and it totally slipped my mind.

Hey, Ben's in the house... thanks for stopping by buddy! I hear ya 'bout "brain slippages"... I usually have to check when I leave the house to make sure I still have my head on with the nose in front... ;)

Essegi said:
Excellent reading! Loving photos of hooks (and of food too... If there's food i am in too!), so i have an idea right timings! :D Thanks for sharing!

Hi Giancarlo, welcome to the zoo! And feel free to share here too. Ciao!

maximumcapsicum said:
Thread moves fast! How did you make the naga oil you talked about? Your chili recipe sounds great.

Very easy to make the Naga oil... I dry the pods first so there are no problems with mold, then I cut a dozen or so in half lengthwise and put them into a swing-top Grolsch bottle and top the bottle up with vegetable oil that's hot, but not smoking before sealing. Then I put the bottle on a sunny windowsill for a week and give it a few shakes every time I think of it. At the end of the week it's ready to use. I like a little flavor in my oil, so I use a 60/40 blend of Kalamata olive oil to untoasted sesame oil, but you can use a neutral-flavored oil or what you will.

oooh, naga oil. Love it but I don't keep it on hand much because I would have to cook entirely separate meals for me and the wife, not to mention the kids. 

Did the garlic oil. evdiently used too much garlic. Wow that was potent. :D

maximumcapsicum said:
That sounds great Rick. Don't know why it never occurred to me to do that before, given we always keep garlic oil on hand anyway. Man, gonna be tons of fun projects to do once I get some pods this year...

Oh yeah... you can get into this obsession hobby at any level... ;)

Jeff H said:
oooh, naga oil. Love it but I don't keep it on hand much because I would have to cook entirely separate meals for me and the wife, not to mention the kids.

Just label the bottle with a skull and crossbones... :P

Jeff H said:
Did the garlic oil. evdiently used too much garlic. Wow that was potent. :D

I can just picture it! :rofl: You used raw garlic didn't you?

I got a great package from brother Stefan in the Netherlands today... :woohoo: some tomato and pepper seeds and a packet of his smoked powder blend! Thanks Stefan, you're da man!
SANY0745_zpsa05767aa.jpg

stickman said:

Just label the bottle with the skull and crossbones... :P

I can just picture it! :rofl: You used raw garlic didn't you?

Question about the hot oil: Does it make everyone in the house gag and cough if you pan fry or saute with it?

Yes I used raw garlic. Dried garlic next time. Got any tips?

Jeff H said:

Question about the hot oil: Does it make everyone in the house gag and cough if you pan fry or saute with it?

Yes I used raw garlic. Dried garlic next time. Got any tips?
We don't notice any ill effects when sauteing with the Naga oil, but our range hood vents outside and I always turn the fan on. That's not cheating is it? :confused:

As for the garlic oil, you just need to roast the garlic first...

Homemade Roasted Garlic Oil

Yield: 3 1/2 cups
Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

4 cups olive oil
8 heads of garlic, with the tops sliced off
4 fresh thyme sprigs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Place garlic heads cut-side down in a baking dish and cover with olive oil. Place thyme in oil. Cover with aluminum foil, then place the dish on a baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes. Using kitchen tongs, remove garlic and place on a paper towel to drain. Pour olive oil through a fine mesh strainer and keep in a seal tight container or jar. It should last about a month.
After the garlic has cooled, squeeze the cloves out of each bulb. Keep them whole or mash them with a fork, using as desired.

This is a great two-for-one recipe since you have both garlic olive oil to bottle and roasted garlic to use in sauces, on bread, or what have you. My favorite recipe for refried beans calls for cooked beans, chopped jalapenos to taste, and 50/50 sour cream and roasted garlic.

Devv said:
Cool deal Rick!

Stefan is very generous for sure!

Do you have the room?  Or like me, just make some ;)

No... I really don't have room in the garden unless I evict something I already have started, but I'm gonna grow one or two of the Pimenta Lisa's out in pots to help him with his seed stock. 

Gonna have to start some kind of notebook to keep track of all these recipes. They disappear in the glog-o-sphere so quick that I forget where to look for them. Maybe a hot pepper wiki would be a good idea.

Devv said:
I'm kinda in the same boat space wise this season. I'll know more when it's time to plant...which is coming on fast!

I hear ya bro'... sometimes enthusiasm is a terrible thing... ;)  Looking at all the work you put into soil improvement last year I'm sure you're gonna have a banner year.
maximumcapsicum said:
Gonna have to start some kind of notebook to keep track of all these recipes. They disappear in the glog-o-sphere so quick that I forget where to look for them. Maybe a hot pepper wiki would be a good idea.

If you know how to do an advanced search with Google it's a lot easier to find them when they drop down deeper in the pot... :)

Already got a Manzano up and running! Ha! I dunno what the trouble is with some folks and them seeds??? 

Stuff is looking mighty good around here! Won't be long until its time for the first episode of the dawn patrol!

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,

Seedlings are looking great. Do you have enough space for all of them? How many plants you are planning to keep?

Balázs

I always start more seeds than I'm going to plant Balázs... in the past I've given the extras away, but money's so tight this year that I'm thinking of selling them to help defray my costs. That's not to say that I wouldn't swap or give some to any THP member willing to drive up here to get them.

Sad to say, I haven't actually sat down and figured out how many plants I can put in the ground this year... I'm gonna have to get my homework done on this one and get back to you.

meatfreak said:
Have fun with the seeds, Rick :)

I will for sure Stefan! I got the Pimenta Lisa seeds planted this morning before I went to work. The Jals will go in when I start the Annuums next month.
stc3248 said:
Already got a Manzano up and running! Ha! I dunno what the trouble is with some folks and them seeds??? 

Stuff is looking mighty good around here! Won't be long until its time for the first episode of the dawn patrol!

Hey, Shane's in the house! Thanks for dropping by Chief! With your help, I think I got the Manzano thing nailed down. Dirt-day is only about 12 weeks from now, but it'll be here before you know it... :liar:

stickman said:

Hey, Shane's in the house! Thanks for dropping by Chief! With your help, I think I got the Manzano thing nailed down. 

Now that you have them growing, you have no excuses not to keep fresh seeds in your seed stock.   :party: That was probably your only issue last year. Bad seeds. 

Back