• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

stc3248 said:
Sweet Rick! You've got the germination thing nailed down this season! I haven't seen anything yellow enough to worry too much about. I think once the temps are a little more to their liking they'll green up just fine. Nice side branching tells me you're giving them some really good light too! I think this time of year breeds a little over-worrying in all of us when they don't look perfect...but they're growing and alive and look pretty damn good to me!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Shane. I'm trying not to be too fussy but that Y chromosome seems to be tied to the urge to poke at things to see what they do... ;)

Jeff H said:
Wow. Look at them round two seeds go. The MOAs look especially good. Better get them separated soon. 

You got that right Jeff! Cheers...

Looking in on my round 2 pots that are still on the heat mat, I see a couple hooks from the Pimenta Lisa F2 from Meatfreak, and another couple from the Kurtovska Kapija seeds as well. The Kapias are the only Annuums I start this early... mainly because they have an unusually long season for an Annuum... 120 days or more, but they're the thickest, crunchiest, sweetest pepper I've ever grown and perfect for making Ajvar!

Note to self... in future, don't buy more onion seeds than you need at a time. Last year I bought an ounce of seeds for "Patterson" yellow storage onions. The germination rate was excellent and they grew great onions then, but when I tried to start the seeds from the same batch again this year I had extremely poor germination percentages. I bought a packet of Cipollini and Sweet White onion seeds and replanted with them, and they're all coming up now.

meatfreak said:
Happy to hear the PL's are hooking up for you, Rick :)
You bet brother! As promised... here's a pic of the newborn...
SANY0784_zps17439cba.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Hey Rick, your seedlings are looking super fine my friend. The PeriPeri with the purple stem looks very purple... don't remember them being that purple!

OK... maybe it'll turn out to be an interesting cross or mutation... it's all good brother! :dance:
I carved out enough time after supper to re-pot the round 2 seedlings I had downstairs.
SANY0787_zps3000d62b.jpg

Kurtovska Kapijas
SANY0786_zps429df81a.jpg

This Lotah Bih is the most extreme case for yellowing of the leaves... They were almost white at one point, and the tips of some of the leaves still are, but they're greening up now...
SANY0788_zps8552cb1c.jpg

Its brother didn't get quite so pale, and grew a bit more.
SANY0791_zpsf54d94af.jpg

The beast so far is the bigger of the Naga King plants. It's grown visibly just in the last day or two.
SANY0789_zps00ca2567.jpg

SANY0790_zps78d7feaf.jpg

Second attempt at Onions starting to sprout...
SANY0783_zps62ac1260.jpg

Have a great rest of the weekend all!

Rick are you going to try those tobascos i sent up? I just put 2 in my chamber for a friend yesterday so we shall see..

Looking good, cmon spring!

Looking good Rick!

It's always nice to see success pics! Looks like they're poised for a growth spurt.

Hey, I keep seeds in the freezer, not the pepper seeds but corn, melons and such. They always germ.

Congrats on the new pops. Things are moving fast.
I had a variety last year that popped, aji amarillo I think, and put out a few almost white leaves before greening them.

PrimeTime said:
Rick are you going to try those tobascos i sent up? I just put 2 in my chamber for a friend yesterday so we shall see..

Looking good, cmon spring!

I planted Tobasco and Pequin seeds a few weeks ago Alan, but so far no dice... I may have to get serious and break out the Horticubes this week.
Devv said:
Looking good Rick!

It's always nice to see success pics! Looks like they're poised for a growth spurt.

Hey, I keep seeds in the freezer, not the pepper seeds but corn, melons and such. They always germ.

I'm thinking I should too. From what I've read, they keep and germ better if kept frozen but must be absolutely dry before putting them in the freezer with a bag of dry rice or a silica gel packet to absorb any moisture.
JJJessee said:
Congrats on the new pops. Things are moving fast.
I had a variety last year that popped, aji amarillo I think, and put out a few almost white leaves before greening them.

I noticed the first primary leaves on the Aji Lemon were very pale at first too... it's good to know that it might be a Baccatum trait. Fortunately good lighting and maybe soil conditioning seem to take care of it.

My tobasco seeds just came out of a pod i left to dry intact. These are the first ones im trying to germ. Ill let ya know. Sorry if they turn out to be bunk!

Nice plants, my friend! :-)
Especially the King Naga...that is a beast.:-)
I am curious about the onions you are growing. What is the advantage of growing them from seed? My parents always planted those small bulbs, instead of seeds. Are they growing bigger this way?
I was also reading about onions which grow 16 lbs (8 kilo), and played with the idea of trying them this year... Not this time...too many peppers, no spare space :-)

Here is a link:
http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/Exhibition-giant-show-onion-growing-2012.html

Balázs

Hi Balázs,

That onion is crazy!

Seeds are supposed to produce the best plants. They are never really interrupted, you just move them to the garden soil. Next would be the stalled transplants (bunches). Sets can produce nice onions but they say they don't keep as well. I've used them in a pinch and they don't do so well for me.

JJJ posted some good info in his glog.

PrimeTime said:
My tobasco seeds just came out of a pod i left to dry intact. These are the first ones im trying to germ. Ill let ya know. Sorry if they turn out to be bunk!

No worries Alan, it's all part of the learning curve. :)

HabaneroHead said:
Nice plants, my friend! :-)
Especially the King Naga...that is a beast.:-)
I am curious about the onions you are growing. What is the advantage of growing them from seed? My parents always planted those small bulbs, instead of seeds. Are they growing bigger this way?
I was also reading about onions which grow 16 lbs (8 kilo), and played with the idea of trying them this year... Not this time...too many peppers, no spare space :-)

Here is a link:
http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/Exhibition-giant-show-onion-growing-2012.html

Balázs

Thanks for the link to the blog on growing Onions for show Balázs. I was thinking of growing a few of a similar long-day variety called "Ailsa Craig", and I see now that I should start them as soon as possible if I'm going to. To answer your question, yes, I think growing Onions from seed makes for bigger Onions if you give them enough time. The way they make Onion sets like your parents plant is to start from seed and grow them part-way, then force the plants into dormancy. When the sets are planted, they break dormancy and begin to grow again. On the plus side this is very convenient, but on the negative side, it costs the plant energy... both to go into dormancy, and again to break it.... and that's energy they could be using to grow bigger.  Onions grown from sets also don't last as long in storage, and that's the main reason I grow Onions... to put by for the winter. I grow Scallions for fresh use through the growing season.

I hear ya 'bout not having enough space to fully satisfy your growing ambitions my friend, we're all in that boat, aren't we... ;)

Spicegeist said:

My first seeds to germinate out of a whole bunch were his Naga King and jedisushi06's Peach Scoropion, they really want to live ;) .

always a nice trait to see... :)

Thanks for all the King Naga love folks... Lourens really sold me on the variety, and I'm looking forward to sampling some fresh!

Kapija peppers have thrown up a few more hooks for a total of 20. :dance:  I may still see a few more, but I've moved the pots with them downstairs under lights. My Mom really liked them last year, and they grew really well for her, so she said she'd take all the plants I could give her. It's really handy for me because she has such good soil, and they'll be the only peppers in her garden, so seed saved from them will grow true.

Back