• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

stc3248 said:
Everything is greening up nicely Rickster!!! I should really give onions a whirl. I think they'd be a perfect winter crop. You got me motivated to grow some winter crops next season...we'll see if that motivation carries on until fall.

You oughtta give 'em a try Shane! As long as they get the right soil and nutes up front and even watering afterwards, they're an unfussy crop that does well in cool weather and doesn't take up much space. Have you grown them before?

JJJessee said:
Wow that's some coty forest!
Everything looking top notch.
What will be the next step with your onions?

Just keeping them evenly watered and under the lights until plant-out JJJ... I OW a variety of Scallions called "Evergreen" outside in the veggie garden. When the snow melts and the ground warms enough that the Scallions start growing new tops, that's my cue to transplant my Onions. I just do soil prep and put 'em right in, leaving space between the rows for what I'll be planting among them.

Yeah, but it's been years. I used to direct sow them in TX in the fall. San Diego area is about the perfect place for cool weather crops in the winter, but I am always too lazy to get anything going. I am getting more stoked about it the more I think about it...all I have planted in the past were some Pak Choi, Radishes and Turnips...thinking about adding carrots, onions and some lettuce. We shall see. 

stc3248 said:
Yeah, but it's been years. I used to direct sow them in TX in the fall. San Diego area is about the perfect place for cool weather crops in the winter, but I am always too lazy to get anything going. I am getting more stoked about it the more I think about it...all I have planted in the past were some Pak Choi, Radishes and Turnips...thinking about adding carrots, onions and some lettuce. We shall see. 

Yeah, why not?! I'll bet your wife would be happier about growing veggies that reduce the food bill each week. Grow enough of them and she probably won't squawk as much about the other things you grow... :P

Things are moving along folks... looking in on the plants in the grow-box downstairs I see another Pimenta Lisa seedling, 2 more Kapija hooks for a total of 26, and 2 more Piri Piris. :dance:
SANY0803_zpsc7e597e9.jpg

SANY0808_zps0cb54bad.jpg

I'm amazed at how much the first PL seedling purpled up... only the very tips of the cotys are green, the stem and the rest of the cotys are dark purple. That one must have gotten more genes from the Piment de Neyde side of its ancestry.

Looking down the dibbles on the Horticubes with a hand light I see the radicles on the Chintexle are getting much longer. At the current rate of growth, it'll be a few more days yet before it hooks. The Pequin seeds I got from brother Shane have also popped out the beginnings of radicles, so that's 2 wild varieties on their way.

Happy Friday eve all...

Woot more babies!

And I agree Rick, planting crops to ease the food bill is THE main reason I garden. My winter garden didn't do much because of poor germination due to the colder temps. But I still have time for some of those crops before it gets hot.

Keep it green!

Devv said:
Woot more babies!

And I agree Rick, planting crops to ease the food bill is THE main reason I garden. My winter garden didn't do much because of poor germination due to the colder temps. But I still have time for some of those crops before it gets hot.

Keep it green!

+1 on that brother... the main reason I have a garden is for the veggies... the pepper obsession hobby is just a happy coincidence. :rolleyes:

I'm soaking the rest of a sheet of Horticubes in preparation for sowing my Annuums this weekend.
SANY0809_zps55a5dd81.jpg

SANY0810_zpseb439133.jpg

TGIF All!

Hi Rick,
You should wait a couple of days more before planting those Annuums... Last Friday I launched a package to You, containing some seeds, including Hot Paprika.:-) I'm surprised they haven't arrived yet...
Your grow rocks this year again, my friend! :-)
Balázs

Can't wait to see the new arrivals that are soon to be here Rick!

Yet more snow? They say...our weather is to warm for 2 days, then back to this winters norm :mope:

PIC 1 said:
Starting up the annuums this weekend..Rick I give you credit you sure are ambitious !

Well, it'll be time to plant outside in 9 or 10 weeks, so maybe not that ambitious... ;)

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,
You should wait a couple of days more before planting those Annuums... Last Friday I launched a package to You, containing some seeds, including Hot Paprika.:-) I'm surprised they haven't arrived yet...
Your grow rocks this year again, my friend! :-)
Balázs

We got about 30cm of snow on Wednesday and it slowed everything down... it'll probably show up within the next few days Balázs. Thanks for the package brother! I'll definitely be looking forward to it with much anticipation!

Jeff H said:
Hoot! Annuums. Just ignore that snow headed your way this weekend. It is almost spring.

Devv said:
Can't wait to see the new arrivals that are soon to be here Rick!

Yet more snow? They say...our weather is to warm for 2 days, then back to this winters norm :mope:

Ah... they're only predicting an inch or less here on Sunday... about enough to make the roads a little greasy. We just slow down to safe speeds and keep on doing what we're doing... :)

Checking in on the wilds in the Horticubes tonight, I see the Chintexle has grown enough that I think it'ill be hooking up tomorrow or Sunday. In addition to Shane's Pequins, the Dilley Street Tamwork seeds are putting out radicles now too.  3 varieties of wilds have broken dormancy!

Glad to see I'm not the only short season grower thinking of starting up the annuums already!  

Winter does seem to be dragging on endlessly this year, but I know the snow will stop falling before my babies are ready to go outside.

stc3248 said:
Sweet...glad you started those pequins. You're really going to like them.

I expect I will... if I'm gonna make Texas chili, I've gotta have that chile molido made with Pequins, right? :drooling:
highalt said:
Glad to see I'm not the only short season grower thinking of starting up the annuums already!  

Winter does seem to be dragging on endlessly this year, but I know the snow will stop falling before my babies are ready to go outside.

Hi Bonnie... welcome aboard!

Yeah, Winter hasn't been very cold here this year but it does seem to be dragging a bit... probably because I haven't had a chance to self-medicate with sunlight on my days off by going ice fishing.  I've been working some overtime and fooling around with the pepper and onion babies instead... :)

maximumcapsicum said:
Awesome annuum spread Rick! You got a strain your most looking forward to?
Yeah... all of 'em! Lol! ;)  Annuums are my workhorses, and the most reliable producers in my climate. Most of the varieties shown are keepers that I've grown before and really want. I didn't have any luck starting Hungarian "Pointed Hot" peppers or Macedonians last year, so I'm hoping I'll have better luck germinating them in the Horticubes. Cascabel and Takanotsume are varieties I haven't tried before and I always look forward to trying something new each year along with the mainstays.

Balázs... After talking with you about exhibition Onions, I got a packet of the Ailsa Craig Onion seeds I was telling you about and sowed the remaining Horticubes after planting the Annuums I had out. I had enough seeds left over from last year to plant plenty of Almapaprika, Coloring peppers and Tomato peppers... if there are any really interesting ones in your package I'll find room for them somewhere... even if it's in pots.  After last year's experience with air-pruning pots I'm confident I can grow them well above ground at need. :)
SANY0812_zps2a3adaf6.jpg

Congrats on the new hooks!

Oh you're going to need more room! But I guess most of us are in that boat.

One thing that's good is the Onions are stingy with their space requirements, mine in the ground are just starting to green up and grow.

Keep on a chooglin'!

Back