• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Trippa said:
Looking great Rick ... Bonus that dirt day is getting mighty close now ... Best of luck with the continual warming of the climes!!

Thanks Tristan, we still have another 3-4 weeks to go unless there's a drastic change, but just like Christmas... it eventually gets here. :)

maximumcapsicum said:
Excellent work on the horsepoo... I'm sure it'll pay off. How does horse manure compare to cow manure? Ungulates poop more nitrogen I think.

Inspiring burrito. Need to give that a whirl.

Hey Adam...  definitely more ammonia in Horse****. As I plan on posting foodie pics in this post, you'll forgive me if I don't get into why... ;)

meatfreak said:
Nice, Rick you finally can start getting the garden back in gear :) Plants are looking good, I'm really jealous of your dark Pimenta Lisa :lol: Interesting and funny to see your growing the Orange Thai and Thai Demon to! I've found that they have an different growth then your average Annuum. The leaves are less wide and more pointy. They are really vigorous growers!

I'm curious to see how the PL pods look in this generation too Stefan... if I get anything exceptional in the way of pods from them, I'll be sure to send you seeds. :)  I hope the Thais are prolific producers... I'm planning on making Thai-style curry pastes with them and freezing them.

Devv said:
Nice update Rick!

And glad to see you're out working the dirt, IMHO it's a rewarding chore, and glad it's hot and steaming, hopefully it killed any weed seeds.

LB, my primary weeder won't let me get any more horse manure. That which I got made a ton of work for us later on. Even though it got hot, evidently not hot enough..LOL.

Plants are looking good and healthy, it won't be much longer now!

I'm the primary weeder, though I try to mulch as much as possible to conserve water and choke out the weeds. I tried spading in the leaf mulch and manure in one square of the veggie garden after work today, but found that there were big chunks of soil underneath that were still half-frozen... I'll give it a few days in the sun to see if that's enough to fully thaw the soil in that block, and if it is I'll do the same to the other squares where I'm gonna transplant the Onion seedlings and get them in the ground this weekend. 

Since my wife's off singing tonight I made my supper the easy way and had a rice and bean burrito with salsa verde, queso fresca and some of Brother Bill's Flaming Pumpkin sauce.
SANY1119_zps82d76781.jpg

Gee, that really hits the spot! Great job on the sauce Bill, it's savory and tangy and has a very nice burn, but not overpowering... perfect accompaniment to this burrito... the judges give it two ears and the tail... ole!

Sweet Rick! Already working the plots! The plants look great, but those fish tacos look fantastic! Glad to see the Pequin lives on at your place. That one came from seeds harvested off my recently murdered Pequin plant. Some really good genetics there. Original seed from Sawdust who lives down in the Dallas area. Another month until plantout??? 

stc3248 said:
Sweet Rick! Already working the plots! The plants look great, but those fish tacos look fantastic! Glad to see the Pequin lives on at your place. That one came from seeds harvested off my recently murdered Pequin plant. Some really good genetics there. Original seed from Sawdust who lives down in the Dallas area. Another month until plantout??? 

Yup, I'm definitely looking forward to it Shane! I started a Pequin in 2012 but ended up giving it to a neighbor, and she lost it. This time around I'm gonna grow 4 varieties to see which I like the best. If things keep on like they're going I may get the Nightshades in the ground in the next 2 and a half to 3 and a half weeks. I'm gonna get the plots spaded in this weekend and lay down the black plastic mulch to start warming up the soil. Then, when the overnight lows are consistently in the 40s I'll plant out and set up the low row cover over them. I also want to get the Onions transplanted outside ASAP to free up more space under the lights downstairs.
4_9weather_zpsa082cf9a.jpg

Something I've been meaning to post, but it got lost in the shuffle on the computer desk... Thanks to JJJesse for the "Rat Turd" and twisty Kriting peppers he sent. They got here last week bro'! I think it's a little late to start them here this season, but next one for sure. Thanks guy!
SANY1120_zps531037a4.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Love them Cabe Merah - great producers and lovely flavour and burn ;)

Right you are Lourens... since you grew both this year, how would you compare them with the Pusa Jwala?

Speaking of Indian food... I've got a load of curried chicken going in the slow cooker for tonight's supper. We'll have curried spinach and potatoes and an apple-raisin-ginger chutney on the side. :)
SANY1120_zpsb03a097c.jpg

Rick, you need to get a tiller brother. All that with a Spade is a lot of work on that old back of yours :)

Everything looking good up there man plants, plot, food, you got this down. really nice assortment of peppers this year too.

Ummm, Curry unfortunately I'm the only curry lover in the family.

Friday Eve man, getting close to time for a cold one.  

RocketMan said:
:)

Everything looking good up there man plants, plot, food, you got this down. really nice assortment of peppers this year too.

Ummm, Curry unfortunately I'm the only curry lover in the family.

Friday Eve man, getting close to time for a cold one.  

Already been there and done that Bill... I busted the sod with a tiller when I first put in my plots. Since then it's been raised beds or square foot garden with planks laid out around each square to step on. That prevents the soil from getting compacted, and the veggies roots have no trouble driving deep. It also makes it easy turn over with a shovel. Pepper Row and 15 squares only comes to a 16x20 foot plot if you don't count the planks, so not too bad at all. :)

Sorry to hear you're the only one who eats curry in your family... if you find yourself in this neck of the woods, come on up to the house and we'll see what we can rustle up for ya... :D

Thanks for the good vibe!

stickman said:

Right you are Lourens... since you grew both this year, how would you compare them with the Pusa Jwala?

Speaking of Indian food... I've got a load of curried chicken going in the slow cooker for tonight's supper. We'll have curried spinach and potatoes and an apple-raisin-ginger chutney on the side. :)

Hey Rick, totally different in my experience really. The Jawala is more like a Cayenne. Quite a big pod. The Cabe Merah is a much smaller plant and pod. But beautiful... I would rate the Cabe Merah a much classier and superior chilli. Real good looking plant with these curly thin pods that have a great extended burn and the falvour is just perfect for asian food. Really good producer too, capable of producing several flushes.

Ooooh man - that sounds super... nights are getting chilli here (100C) brrrrr... that curry would be perfect tonight.

PeriPeri said:
Hey Rick, totally different in my experience really. The Jawala is more like a Cayenne. Quite a big pod. The Cabe Merah is a much smaller plant and pod. But beautiful... I would rate the Cabe Merah a much classier and superior chilli. Real good looking plant with these curly thin pods that have a great extended burn and the falvour is just perfect for asian food. Really good producer too, capable of producing several flushes.

Ooooh man - that sounds super... nights are getting chilli here (100C) brrrrr... that curry would be perfect tonight.

Thanks for the input Lourens. I was debating whether or not to grow the Jwala next year, and it looks like I'd be just as happy to grow the Kriting instead.

We can't have you getting cold tonight... here's pics of supper tonight to warm you up...
SANY1120_zps3b4d08c4.jpg

SANY1121_zps9f1453ba.jpg

SANY1123_zps52a2811b.jpg

stickman said:

Thanks for the input Lourens. I was debating whether or not to grow the Jwala next year, and it looks like I'd be just as happy to grow the Kriting instead.

We can't have you getting cold tonight... here's pics of supper tonight to warm you up...
SANY1120_zps3b4d08c4.jpg

SANY1121_zps9f1453ba.jpg

SANY1123_zps52a2811b.jpg

Oh, Hell yeah. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I just ate dinner and all of the sudden I'm hungry again. Save some for me, but keep it warm, it is a bit of a drive to MA from here.

We have a really good indian place around here so I don't make it too often, easier to buy it since everyone in the family wants something different. One weird thing though. They only do heat from 1 to 6, and 6 isn't very hot at all (well, not to most members of this forum, but my wife can't handle it, she does a 2). I asked them for a 10 or 15, but they wouldn't do it. :confused:

Jeff H said:

I just ate dinner and all of the sudden I'm hungry again. Save some for me, but keep it warm, it is a bit of a drive to MA from here.

We have a really good indian place around here so I don't make it too often, easier to buy it since everyone in the family wants something different. One weird thing though. They only do heat from 1 to 6, and 6 isn't very hot at all (well, not to most members of this forum, but my wife can't handle it, she does a 2). I asked them for a 10 or 15, but they wouldn't do it. :confused:

Glad you liked the pics Jeff... :)

Heck, the folks who run your local Indian restaurant probably just don't serve anything hotter than they'd eat themselves. Really spicy food might be part of their culture, but not every cook likes it that way.

PeriPeri said:
....... Quite a big pod. The Cabe Merah is a much smaller plant and pod. But beautiful... I would rate the Cabe Merah a much classier and superior chilli. Real good looking plant with these curly thin pods that have a great extended burn and the falvour is just perfect for asian food. Really good producer too, capable of producing several flushes.
 Yes, a potentially heavy producer :D
I'm not sure these are the Kriting, but close I think.

Jeff H said:

This is unacceptable Rick - torturing your friends like this is just cruel :D

Back