• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Awesome... the snow is gone and that soil is looking great. Glad to see the PeriPeri again... it has transformed into a great looking little plant. I think it will go from strength to strength from here... going to be a good plant I think. PeriPeri chicken and prawns this summer I think?!

Devv said:
Woot!

Super looking plants! And the snow is gone, a double bonus ;)

'At's right breddren...snow is about gone!  Shwing! :dance:    Here's the whole garden...
SANY1080_zps794d1444.jpg

"Pepper Row"
SANY1082_zps50786e6e.jpg

And a bonus... the first flowers out in our neighborhood... Crocus'
SANY1083_zps3938199d.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Awesome... the snow is gone and that soil is looking great. Glad to see the PeriPeri again... it has transformed into a great looking little plant. I think it will go from strength to strength from here... going to be a good plant I think. PeriPeri chicken and prawns this summer I think?!

You bet Lourens... I'm hoping you can help a brother out with recipes... :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

wahlee76 said:
Plants are looking good. Not long before going outside now :woohoo:

Devv said:
I'm really glad to see it's warming up, in the next few weeks we'll see all kinds of plant outs. I can't wait to see everyone's grow hit the the outdoors!

You must have a serious itch!

Won't be long!

Thanks for the good vibe guys! It'll be at least another 5 weeks until I get my Nightshades in the ground, so please keep the pictures coming of your plant-outs and gardens until then... :pray:

Since you mention it miz Annie... my other Baccatum is looking equally as nice as the Aji Lemon. Here's a pic of the Dedo de Moca...
SANY1086_zpsbdf0f3a4.jpg

My Tomatoes are all up now... they all popped in the second sowing in just a few days. Note to self... when planting tomatoes, don't tamp the soil down too much after sowing...
SANY1084_zps70b460a6.jpg

Culantro is up and looking well too.
SANY1085_zps4a02ce57.jpg

This weekend I'll  have to sow the flowers and  a few more herbs. Cheers all!

stickman said:

'At's right breddren...snow is about gone!  Shwing! :dance:    Here's the whole garden...

"Pepper Row"

And a bonus... the first flowers out in our neighborhood... Crocus'

You bet Lourens... I'm hoping you can help a brother out with recipes... :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:
That brings a glow to the cockles of my heart matey :) Very excited for you here... may this be the season of all seasons!

I'll give you the local low down on what to do with them PeriPeri. Chicken PeriPeri for sure and Prawns Nacionale (Mozambique style) - awesome!

HI Rick,

You have some really nice plants there!
I'm glad to see you have some of my varieties going! :-)
Hopefully you can now do some work in the garden as well, if the weather lets.

Balázs

PeriPeri said:
That brings a glow to the cockles of my heart matey :) Very excited for you here... may this be the season of all seasons!

I'll give you the local low down on what to do with them PeriPeri. Chicken PeriPeri for sure and Prawns Nacionale (Mozambique style) - awesome!

Thanks Lourens, I'm really looking forward to it! The Sosaties I made last summer were out of this world... Who'da thunk that sweet curried Lamb kebabs grilled with Apricots would be so delicious! If the recipes you mention are as good, they'll be exceptional! I've gotta say that I have a particular weakness for shrimp... :drooling:
maximumcapsicum said:
Glad you can see the dirt now Rick! Gonna be time to get diggin' soon!

Devv said:
Those Onions are begging for some dirt! They're going to do really well.

Digging this weekend? Great time of year!

Oh yeah... this is my weekend off from work, so I'm planning on getting a couple of loads of composted horse manure from a couple that live 3 houses down from us. The plan is to spread it out on top of the leaf mulch I spread on the garden in fall, and let it mellow a bit until I'm ready to spade it in with some compost and ashes from my Mom's woodstove.

stickman said:

Thanks Lourens, I'm really looking forward to it! The Sosaties I made last summer were out of this world... Who'da thunk that sweet curried Lamb kebabs grilled with Apricots would be so delicious! If the recipes you mention are as good, they'll be exceptional! I've gotta say that I have a particular weakness for shrimp... :drooling:

Oh yeah... this is my weekend off from work, so I'm planning on getting a couple of loads of composted horse manure from a couple that live 3 houses down from us. The plan is to spread it out on top of the leaf mulch I spread on the garden in fall, and let it mellow a bit until I'm ready to spade it in with some compost and ashes from my Mom's woodstove.
Right down to the chemistry... horse poop, leaf mulch and ash... those chillies are just going to go ape! Nice...

HabaneroHead said:
HI Rick,

You have some really nice plants there!
I'm glad to see you have some of my varieties going! :-)
Hopefully you can now do some work in the garden as well, if the weather lets.

Balázs

I'm really looking forward to growing at least 4 Almapaprika plants and dedicating the entire crop to pickling... the jar I prepared with your Mom's recipe last year was so incredibly good that it only lasted a couple of days! :drooling:  One question though... what can you tell me about the "Nagykuti" variety, does it have mild heat like the Almapaprika,or is it a sweet Tomato Pepper like the Pritamin?
PeriPeri said:
Right down to the chemistry... horse poop, leaf mulch and ash... those chillies are just going to go ape! Nice...

From your mouth to God's ear, eh Lourens... ;)    I think the ashes provide the elements the plants need to grow sturdy. They're very water soluble though, and with my sandy soil they leach away very quickly when it rains. That's why I add leaf mulch every year... it acts like a sponge and holds onto water and nutes, releasing them slowly thereafter. The ashes are also pretty strongly alkaline, so I spread moderate amounts at a time and space out the applications over the course of the growing season.

I also spread out the ashes from the fireplace, and the leaves you add surely help in more ways. I just wish I had more to compost.

Devv said:
I also spread out the ashes from the fireplace, and the leaves you add surely help in more ways. I just wish I had more to compost.

I'd help ya if I could bro', but cartage would be a killer... ;)  It looks like you have things well in hand anyway!

I got some of my herb and flower varieties planted last night. They're mostly intended for companion planting in the garden... Genovese Basil, "Yellow Gem" Marigolds, and Summer Savory. The exception is Bellflower (or Balloon flower, the Koreans call it Toraji)... a kind of Campanula from Korea and China. It's a very hardy perennial with edible roots that look somewhat like Ginseng and are supposed to have similar tonic properties. http://www.garden.org/subchannels/flowers/perennials?q=show&id=974
   The roots are used in Korean herbal medicines, and also eaten as a MuChim or vegetable side dish. http://aeriskitchen.com/2008/12/bellflower-root-sidedish-%EB%8F%84%EB%9D%BC%EC%A7%80-%EB%AC%B4%EC%B9%A8doraji-moochim/
The only thing I'd add to the recipe in the link is to heavily salt the soaking water if using fresh Bellflower roots or scrub by hand with a tablespoon of coarse salt after soaking if using dried. That helps remove the bitterness.

I'm still waiting for the Scallions I over-wintered to begin growing new tops before I transplant my Onion starts outside. It's not quite time yet since overnight low temperatures have been at or below freezing. At least the snow is pretty much gone and the ground is thawed out enough to dig, so we're slowly getting there!

That's very interesting on the Balloon flower. I've never grown it much less ate it. :)
If you're into eating perennials, You may want to try some scallion-like snips(the tender stalk at or just below ground level) of daylilies when the just have poked thru the ground in spring. They are very tasty in a vegetable stock, chopped up with some scallions, and wild mustard florets.

I may have to give the Balloon flower a try. I love having flowers scattered about the garden and that one sounds easy enough to manage.

JJJessee said:
That's very interesting on the Balloon flower. I've never grown it much less ate it. :)
If you're into eating perennials, You may want to try some scallion-like snips(the tender stalk at or just below ground level) of daylilies when the just have poked thru the ground in spring. They are very tasty in a vegetable stock, chopped up with some scallions, and wild mustard florets.

I may have to give the Balloon flower a try. I love having flowers scattered about the garden and that one sounds easy enough to manage.

I never thought of eating the stalks, but I already do eat the Daylily buds... especially in soups. They have a taste that's very savory and a bit sweet. You got me interested enough to check into it and find that the roots are also edible. Who'd a thunk it! http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/article/Having-your-flowers-and-eating-them-too-The-2686970.php
You can find dried Daylily buds in Asian markets. They're a great addition to vegetable soup stock, giving it a great color and flavor.

Back