• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Rick, love to see the hook shots, those are the hardest for me to take pics of … yours look awesome! OWs looking great and I’m sure they’ll jump once you get them the light they need … hab a great weekend and Merry Ho Ho Ho to you and yours!

Oh have an awesome New Year too brethren!

WalkGood said:
Rick, love to see the hook shots, those are the hardest for me to take pics of … yours look awesome! OWs looking great and I’m sure they’ll jump once you get them the light they need … hab a great weekend and Merry Ho Ho Ho to you and yours!

Oh have an awesome New Year too brethren!
Thanks Ramon, I hope you have lots of quality time to spend with your family this holiday season. I'm sure it'll be plenty warm at su casa... ;)

Here are the pics of the most recent hooks...
SANY0624_zps59d75b76.jpg

SANY0625_zps839ea741.jpg

And a couple pics of our "winter wonderland" before it all goes down the drain this weekend... the forecast is for rain and temperatures in the 40's. This is our backyard with the various bird feeders.
SANY0626_zps8411fb13.jpg

and a closeup of one of the House Finches.
SANY0573_zps4b17d7db.jpg

TGIF all!

I came home from work tonight to find a package from brother StefanW that put a big ole grin on my face...
SANY0627_zps9b1771d7.jpg

Thanks for everything Stefan! I'll do my best to make sure the seeds have a good home... especially the Leutshauer Paprika and Madam Jeanette. Please tell your wife from me that she makes candied Almonds that are out of this world, and adding hot chile powder when she coated them was a stroke of genius! I had to try one out of the package, but I'm saving the rest for Christmas. :dance: I hope you and yours have a Happy Christmas, with much health and joy in the coming year!

Thanks Guys!

The germination rate for Manzanos was unexpectedly high this time around, and the Bhuts are pretty low so far, but they took the longest to germ so there may be more still on the way. So far it looks like this...

Manzano 3/5
Lotah Bih 5/5
Donne Sali 4/5
King Naga 4/5
Guwahati Bhut 2/5
Bhut Orange Copenhagen 1/5

In 2 weeks I start the next round of seeds, and the list looks like:

Aji Lemon
Dedo de Moca
Brown Egg
Scotch Bonnet MoA
Tabasco
Piri Piri

and a whole flat of long-day yellow storage Onions.

stickman said:
Thanks Guys!

The germination rate for Manzanos was unexpectedly high this time around, and the Bhuts are pretty low so far, but they took the longest to germ so there may be more still on the way. So far it looks like this...

Manzano 3/5
Lotah Bih 5/5
Donne Sali 4/5
King Naga 4/5
Guwahati Bhut 2/5
Bhut Orange Copenhagen 1/5

In 2 weeks I start the next round of seeds, and the list looks like:

Aji Lemon
Dedo de Moca
Brown Egg
Scotch Bonnet MoA
Tabasco
Piri Piri

and a whole flat of long-day yellow storage Onions.

Wow Stickman! Great on the Manzanos. Anything different this time that got you the better germ rate?

maximumcapsicum said:

Wow Stickman! Great on the Manzanos. Anything different this time that got you the better germ rate?
Procedurally, the only thing I did different was to follow Shane's (stc3248) suggestion and just plant the seeds in soil without presoaking, trying to germ in coffee filters, or messing with them in any way... I suspect that what had the most impact was that I left the pods the seeds came from on the plant until they got over-ripe and flabby. It takes so long for Manzanos to fully ripen that I think folks pick them before the seeds are fully viable. 

Great germination rates, rick.  I'll bet a few more nice bhuts pop for ya!

Habe a nice weekend, my friend!

Hey stick I was looking through last years glog and was having a hard time finding the seed store you suggested in Maine. I think it was johnny`s but I don`t see the peppers I want there. 
Thanks

Pinoy83 said:
nice package brahhhh... and nice germination for your babies keeepppp it goiinnn....now go get your self an aerogarden also :party: :party: :party:
Thanks brah... I don't think Santa's got one in his bag for me this year, but it's all good. ;)

Looking in on my seedlings this morning, I see I have another Guwahati Bhut hook and the Manzanos are showing the beginnings of true leaves! :dance:

Have a good Monday all!

Some almapaprika for my mom, some Marconi and kapija for the wife (she likes the sweet ones) criolla sella and the tomato pepper that they have. No luck at pepper lover either.

Scarecrw said:
Some almapaprika for my mom, some Marconi and kapija for the wife (she likes the sweet ones) criolla sella and the tomato pepper that they have. No luck at pepper lover either.

Hi Jeff,
   They're not so hard to find if you do a google search... :)

Almapaprika... http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/pepper/Pepper-Alma-Paprika.html
Marconi Rosso... http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/pepper/Pepper-Marconi-Red.html
Criolla Sella... https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=637    (This is where I got my seeds from)

The Chushka Chervina pepper variety is a very similar Kapija pepper to the Kurtovska Kapija... http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/pepper/Pepper-Chervena-Chushka-OG.html or I can mail you seeds for the Kurtovska Kapija. I grew them in my Mom's garden, and they were the only pepper variety in it, so the seeds should absolutely grow true.

Back