• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Hi Rick,

Nice pics about the hooks, it is good to see that you already have healthy seedlings.
Let me share about some pics about the Gochu peppers we harvested at the end of September:

The pics were made today...
After 3 (!) months they are still fresh...interesting thing is that they were kept outside on the terrace, and in the last 3 months we had big frosts with - 8 Celsius degrees, which did not harm them at all.

Thanks for sharing these seeds, my Mom is sure that she is going to grow them next year, too. :fireball:
Merry Christmas, my friend!

Balázs

wahlee76 said:
Good luck with the new season. Looks like inside the house there's a lot of more heat than outside :fireball:

Nice list, and seems to go well :P
Thanks Wally, back at ya, and good luck with your grow in 2014!
HabaneroHead said:
Hi Rick,

Nice pics about the hooks, it is good to see that you already have healthy seedlings.
Let me share about some pics about the Gochu peppers we harvested at the end of September:

After 3 (!) months they are still fresh...interesting thing is that they were kept outside on the terrace, and in the last 3 months we had big frosts with - 8 Celsius degrees, which did not harm them at all.

Thanks for sharing these seeds, my Mom is sure that she is going to grow them next year, too. :fireball:
Merry Christmas, my friend!

Balázs

Wow, thanks for sharing the pics of your Gochu pepper harvest Balázs! I knew they had a thick skin that protected them pretty well on the outside, but I never thought they'd last in cold weather as long as they have for you. If your Mom likes them, then so much the better! Tell her that if she likes sauerkraut, then she could make kimchi... which is just the Korean version of it. I've got a good recipe and pics of the process posted if she's interested.

Here's wishing you a Happy Christmas my friend, and much joy and health in the new year. Cheers!
maximumcapsicum said:
Third-ed! Merry Christmas stickman! Your glog is a constant source of information and inspiration. Best wishes for you and yours...

gfinnil said:
Looking good.
Jerry

Thanks for the good vibe guys, and a Merry Christmas to you too!

Hi, and a Merry Christmas all! Santa sent me a couple more hooks this morning! One in the Donne Sali pot and one in the Guwahati Bhut pot. Here's the germination rates so far...

Lotah Bih 5/5
Donne Sali 5/5
King Naga 4/5
Guwahati Bhut 4/5
Manzano 3/5
BOC 1/5

He also brought a bale of ProMix BX! Hope he was as generous with you all, and you all have a stellar day with your families. Cheers!

Wait a minute!  Did you say you already have hooks???

Came by to wish you a Merry Christmas.  Wasn't expecting your grow to be in full swing already!  I had planned to at least start some Manzanos in November, but it just didn't happen.  May have to scale the grow back in '14, due to time and financial constraints, but I'll enjoy stopping by to see how yours is rolling along.

Best wishes in the New Year!!!

chilli whisperer said:
Very nice glog you've got going :)

neoguy said:
Merry Christmas. Great germination.

PaulG said:
Nice germination rates, Rick.  
You must be doing the right thing!

Hope you are having a nice Christmas.

Thanks for the good vibe guys, hope your day off was a stellar one!

highalt said:
Wait a minute!  Did you say you already have hooks???

Came by to wish you a Merry Christmas.  Wasn't expecting your grow to be in full swing already!  I had planned to at least start some Manzanos in November, but it just didn't happen.  May have to scale the grow back in '14, due to time and financial constraints, but I'll enjoy stopping by to see how yours is rolling along.

Best wishes in the New Year!!!

Hey, Bonnie's in the house! I hope you had a peaceful and enjoyable day at home with your family yesterday. I understand about the pace of life getting very much quicker as we all scratch for a living in these times... we don't have kids ourselves, or I couldn't put the time and energy into my grow that I do. I hope you stop in when you can, and that things ease up for you a bit in 2014. Cheers!

meatfreak said:
Merry Christmas, Rick! Save some space for some extras ;)

Hi Stefan! The final lineup won't be chiseled in stone until plant-out... until then I'm open to suggestions... ;)  Hope Sinterklaas was good to your family!

I came home from the day at my Mom's yesterday to find one of my Lotah Bih seedlings had damped off. No big deal... that's one of the reasons I plant multiple seeds. I still have 4 left, but I'll be transferring the remaining seedlings to another pot with fresh soil. This weekend I'll be setting up the lights, timer and insulated enclosure on my grow table down cellar to put the seedlings from round 1 when I start round 2 next Saturday. Have a good Boxing Day all!

Sucks about the damping off. At least you have backups.

Glad to see everything is still moving on the right direction! You're glog is very motivating... I can't wait to start germinating myself in a week or two...

maximumcapsicum said:
Sucks about the damping off. At least you have backups.

Glad to see everything is still moving on the right direction! You're glog is very motivating... I can't wait to start germinating myself in a week or two...

S'right brother... built-in redundancy up front increases the odds of getting at least one ready for plant out. It never fails that something happens to keep you from getting a perfect germination score or some of your plants have a fatal accident... :doh:

Good luck with your germination... remember to post pics!
Devv said:
Congrats on the hooks Rick!

I had a Red Rocotto that started to fade from damping, as per Jason's advice I hit it with a cap full of Hydrogen Peroxide two mornings and it's still hanging.

Have a good one!
Thanks for the tip Scott... I haven't had a fan on the seedlings in the kitchen windowsill because it's just behind the sink, so being reminded of Hydrogen Peroxide was very timely. I couldn't save the seedling that damped off, but I can prevent the others from going the same way, so I gave all the pots a capful after work today. Cheers!
romy6 said:
 Hope your Christmas was joyous.

Here's  is to a spicy extra green New Year Ricky Ticky  :fireball:
Thanks brother Jamie! And back at ya :)

I'm gonna double the number of superhots in 2014 as compared to 2013, but still planting most of the old standbys... and veggies of course. ;)    One of my experiments in 2014 is gonna be planting Sesame plants. I go through an awful lot in the course of a year, and I want to see if I can grow a year's supply with a dozen plants. Cheers!

stickman said:

Hi Stefan! The final lineup won't be chiseled in stone until plant-out... until then I'm open to suggestions... ;)  Hope Sinterklaas was good to your family!

I came home from the day at my Mom's yesterday to find one of my Lotah Bih seedlings had damped off. No big deal... that's one of the reasons I plant multiple seeds. I still have 4 left, but I'll be transferring the remaining seedlings to another pot with fresh soil. This weekend I'll be setting up the lights, timer and insulated enclosure on my grow table down cellar to put the seedlings from round 1 when I start round 2 next Saturday. Have a good Boxing Day all!

Then I have to come up with some nice suggestions :D Thanks, but we actually don't celebrate Sinterklaas. We like Christmas, Santa Claus a lot more so we gave the oldest (1,5 years) some presents. Of course she didn't understand but she liked getting presents :lol:

Aren't you afraid that your plants will be to big by the time you can put them outside? 2 seasons back I sowed in December also and the plants grew to big before I could bring them outside. I'm not starting again before February anymore.

Rick,

There are some interesting articles about Hydrogen Peroxide and seed starting out there. Being my 3rd tray this season is full of the Annuum's and not germing well compared to the Chinense (which did real well); I started a 4th and soaked the pellets in water with a weak mix of the peroxide and seaweed extract. Just an experiment, hoping to improve the odds..

meatfreak said:

Then I have to come up with some nice suggestions :D

I'm all ears bro... ;)

Thanks, but we actually don't celebrate Sinterklaas. We like Christmas, Santa Claus a lot more so we gave the oldest (1,5 years) some presents. Of course she didn't understand but she liked getting presents :lol:

Hail yeah... What  nearly 2-year-old doesn't like gettings presents... :)

Aren't you afraid that your plants will be to big by the time you can put them outside? 2 seasons back I sowed in December also and the plants grew to big before I could bring them outside. I'm not starting again before February anymore.

No, not really... but then I don't wait until early June to plant outside either. Using black plastic mulch and a low row cover I plant out somewhere in the last 2 weeks of April, depending on the weather. In 2011 it was in mid-April because we had an early spring. Last year was cooler and wetter, so I planted out the end of April.
Devv said:
Rick,

There are some interesting articles about Hydrogen Peroxide and seed starting out there. Being my 3rd tray this season is full of the Annuum's and not germing well compared to the Chinense (which did real well); I started a 4th and soaked the pellets in water with a weak mix of the peroxide and seaweed extract. Just an experiment, hoping to improve the odds..
Good luck Scott... keep us posted on how it works out for you!

Back