• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Devv said:
Plants continue to shine Rick!

Around here jalapeno's are used for everything. I've heard Pequin's mentioned, but have never had the opportunity to taste one.

In fact I'll be watching here to see how they turn out ;)
Aww c'mon Scott!!! You REALLY need to walk some fence lines! You can find them all over your area and even much further north. Along riverbanks is another great spot. Fences work best for two reasons...birds sit on them and deposit the seeds underneath and they are not mowed as often as the pastures or the highway easements. Get out there!!! 

Howdy all, time once again for the Dawn Patrol...

The weather last night was mostly overcast with temps. dipping down to the upper 50s. We're showing some baby pods on the Goat's Weed
SANY1567_zps1145551c.jpg

... and the Thai Red Demon Hybrid
SANY1571_zps675d72cd.jpg

The Lotah Bih is finally showing some real growth
SANY1572_zpsac6ec5bd.jpg

....and the Donne Sali is starting to flower! :dance:
SANY1568_zpsb4c82259.jpg

Have a happy Friday eve all!

stc3248 said:
Aww c'mon Scott!!! You REALLY need to walk some fence lines! You can find them all over your area and even much further north. Along riverbanks is another great spot. Fences work best for two reasons...birds sit on them and deposit the seeds underneath and they are not mowed as often as the pastures or the highway easements. Get out there!!! 

But I don't know what they look like.

Edit: OK, I googled them. I've walked many a mile and have yet to see one. I have 5,000 foot of fence on my place and none here. I guess if I set out and actually looked, I could find some somewhere around here.

Cheers all! :)

Devv said:

But I don't know what they look like.

Edit: OK, I googled them. I've walked many a mile and have yet to see one. I have 5,000 foot of fence on my place and none here. I guess if I set out and actually looked, I could find some somewhere around here.

Don't forget the riverbanks... as dry as it is out your way, that may be a more likely place to look... if the landowners are OK with it.

Time once again for the Saturday morning Dawn Patrol...

Last night was quite cool for the summer solstice. It got down to about 48 degrees, and the next couple of nights are predicted to stay that way, with the days sunny, breezy and cool in the upper 70s. The Annuums are taking off now, so we're set there... I'll have to keep the Chinense covered for a while yet.

Getting some color on the Szegedi Paprika.
SANY1573_zpsf2a3f614.jpg

I can't get over how bright the purple is on the pods on the DST. They look a little pale in this flash pic though... they're actually more reddish.
SANY1576_zps803ec5bb.jpg

As spindly as the Chimayo's are, they're sure making some good-sized pods.
SANY1577_zpsddb993bc.jpg

This is the Dedo de Moca I topped earlier... it's much greener than the one I didn't, and has 5 times more branches. It hasn't flowered yet, but my hope is it'll out-produce the one I didn't. It's already almost as tall as the other one.
SANY1575_zps75f245a8.jpg

Another pic of this Donne Sali... I can see progress in just one day! It's starting to grow well now, and kick out a good amount of flower buds. Hopefully it'll be a good producer despite the cool weather this season.
SANY1574_zpsf3e33447.jpg

Have a great weekend everybody!

OCD Chilehead said:

Cool!   Looking further, I found this too...
http://sacurrent.com/dining/food/free-food-foraging-in-san-antonio-1.1689558?pgno=1
https://www.facebook.com/NativePlantSocietyOfTexasSanAntonioChapter?ref=stream
Devv said:
Wow Rick!

48° in June? I hope that doesn't slow the plants down. Glad to see the pods and future pods ;)

I don't think it'll bother the Annuums Scott, I'm leaving the Chinense covered meanwhile. Today I've got weeding chores to do, and I want to set some modified water bottle "funnels" next to the Chinense plants in the raised bed out back so I can give them a boot in the a** with some liquid nutes...

Rosemary is an ornamental around here. It's heavily planted at the shopping centers, mainly because the water needs are so slight. And they look and smell nice too. I have a ton of the Pear Cactus around here, I know they make jelly out of them.

Could this be the elusive Chile Pequin?

1022.JPG

The plant just doesn't look like a pepper plant, and I'm not inclined to just eat one to see. Now if I was raised here and was told they were OK, it would be a different story.

This one is under a Live Oak right out front...LOL

Devv said:
Rosemary is an ornamental around here. It's heavily planted at the shopping centers, mainly because the water needs are so slight. And they look and smell nice too. I have a ton of the Pear Cactus around here, I know they make jelly out of them.

Could this be the elusive Chile Pequin?

1022.JPG

The plant just doesn't look like a pepper plant, and I'm not inclined to just eat one to see. Now if I was raised here and was told they were OK, it would be a different story.

This one is under a Live Oak right out front...LOL

Not a pepper Scott... Tepins and Pequins go from dark green to red... in the case of the Pequins, to reddish-orange... but I think you're looking in the right niche anyway. The leaves you show in the pic are trilobial, with the long middle lobe pointed and the ones to either side rounded. I don't think it's a Nightshade, but don't know that much about wild plants out your way.

If you've got Prickly Pear cacti by the house, you've got Nopales to cook with. My favorite way to cook them is sauteed in a covered pan until the mucilage evaporates away. They have a tangy flavor that sort of reminds me of steamed greens with lemon juice. Here's a good place for preparation and cooking instructions...   http://www.patismexicantable.com/2012/06/cleaning_cactus_paddles_or_nopales/

Devv said:
There are some that are red too. Now you understand why I've never tried one ;)

Interesting information on the cacti. The locals here harvest the tunas. We'll try them one of these days..

The tunas are the fruit. You can only eat those in summer when they ripen, but you can eat the pads (nopales) anytime. Here's an interesting article about the tunas from Saveur...   http://www.saveur.com/article/Kitchen/Juicy-Fruit

Devv said:
There are some that are red too. Now you understand why I've never tried one ;)

Interesting information on the cacti. The locals here harvest the tunas. We'll try them one of these days..
Rick is right...it will be unmistakably a pepper. Single lobed leaves with the Pequin having more elongated spear-head shaped leaves and elongated pods and the Tepin having a slightly less elongated heart shaped leaves and spherical pods. Glad you're out searching, and if you find anything worth looking at just post them up!

Rick, your grow is pressing forward in high gear brotha!!! That Donne Sali is a cool looking plant...almost looks like a Fish Pepper. I really like Variegated foliage. 
PS...Checking the Foraging Texas site...the first pic is incorrectly identified as a Pequin but is actually a Tepin. You can see the spherical pods and heart shaped leaves.

stc3248 said:
Rick is right...it will be unmistakably a pepper. Single lobed leaves with the Pequin having more elongated spear-head shaped leaves and elongated pods and the Tepin having a slightly less elongated heart shaped leaves and spherical pods. Glad you're out searching, and if you find anything worth looking at just post them up!

Rick, your grow is pressing forward in high gear brotha!!! That Donne Sali is a cool looking plant...almost looks like a Fish Pepper. I really like Variegated foliage. 

Thanks Chief! Here's something to put a smile on your face... it did on mine! :D
SANY1578_zpsfcb284ed.jpg

SANY1579_zps764512b7.jpg

Yeah Baby! First flowers on the OW Manzano! :woohoo:

The new Butch T is looking almost as good...
SANY1585_zps90af3bab.jpg

The real star is the Naga King for sure. It's just loaded with blossoms ATM but none seem to be sticking yet.
SANY1584_zps422042ae.jpg

The other Chinense are game, but lagging behind in the current conditions. I'm wondering if I should increase the water dosage for now.. they're getting a half an hour of water from 1 gallon per hour drippers.

Pimenta Lisa purple-pheno
SANY1582_zps94340b44.jpg

BOC
SANY1586_zpsdcd2f51e.jpg

Guwahati Bhut
SANY1583_zps79695d90.jpg

This green pheno Pimenta Lisa just looks sad... hopefully some nutes will help...
SANY1590_zps604aa417.jpg

... and the other Guwahati Bhut.
SANY1589_zps8e14b530.jpg

so a very mixed bag... that's 10... more later. I have to go out shopping for a dehumidifier with my wife. Cheers!

Congrats on the Manzano flowers Rick, and it's putting them out in a big way too! I currently have 2 pods, they're flowering here and there, but the fall will be when they shine.

It strikes me as weird how all the plants are treated the same, and you have a few of each type, and yet some just don't spark up. I ran into the same thing. I just can't get my MoA's to take off for some reason.

Everything above those two at the bottom are looking great ;)

Swartmamba said:
That naga king is going to be a beast, looks very similar to mine. seems to grow faster than other super hots bar the douglah.

Enjoy your shopping

Yup, it is the fastest growing Chinense in my garden, though the OW Douglah is growing fast now that it got over its funk and is finally moving. It only started growing leaves a couple to 3 weeks ago and it already has flower buds on it.
SANY1580_zpsc4d1a6c3.jpg

Here's this season's Manzano... still looking pretty good, though no flowers just yet.
SANY1591_zps627217ac.jpg

... and the Yellow 7
SANY1588_zpsf23a39b2.jpg

The cut water bottle "funnels" are in place next to each plant, and I just gave them each a drink of my fishy molasses elixir... That's all for now.

Devv said:
Congrats on the Manzano flowers Rick, and it's putting them out in a big way too! I currently have 2 pods, they're flowering here and there, but the fall will be when they shine.

It strikes me as weird how all the plants are treated the same, and you have a few of each type, and yet some just don't spark up. I ran into the same thing. I just can't get my MoA's to take off for some reason.

Everything above those two at the bottom are looking great ;)

Thanks Scott! I hope it does as well as it did last year... we only get one swing at it in a season... ;)

Y'know, that's always been true about how some do well and others don't, and you can't always know why. That's why I plant at least 2 of everything I want... more if I really want them! :)

Stay cool all!

Back