• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Good to see some sun shining on your plants, Rick!

A lot has happened there in the last month!  Everything looks great, chills and 'nons'.
Some summer weather will see a real explosion to jungle status, brother!

Devv said:
Looking good Rick!

PaulG said:
Good to see some sun shining on your plants, Rick!

A lot has happened there in the last month!  Everything looks great, chills and 'nons'.
Some summer weather will see a real explosion to jungle status, brother!

PeriPeri said:
Looking great Rick, I would love to see a close up of the pods. Looks like the PeriPeri has got nice long stalks, which looks correct.

Thanks Guys!

I'll try to get a good closeup of the Peri Peri pods for you tonight Lourens, but for now, I took these pics while out on Dawn Patrol...

Cascabel has started kicking out the blossoms after reaching decent size  I'm looking forward to good production from this plant. :)
SANY1540_zpse5603aae.jpg

Shane's Texas Pequin is beginning to blossom too
SANY1542_zpse32597c3.jpg

... and the husky Chintexle
SANY1543_zpse6074d14.jpg

Aji Lemon should start in the next day or so
SANY1544_zpsd0cfd899.jpg

Takanotsume has a half dozen tiny pods on it reaching up to the sky, and it puts out another 2-3 blossoms every day
SANY1538_zps7c12b803.jpg

Here's the largest of the Jalapeno Ciclon pods Stefan.
SANY1539_zps7f1b3ad5.jpg

That's all for now... have a great week all!

Jeff H said:
Plants are looking good as always Rick. That 'peno is getting nice and large. should be tasty.

tctenten said:
Everything is looking good.  Hopefully you get some of the warmer weather we are going to get this week.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking great Rick up there in the wild north! Keep on gettin on

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the good vibe... :)

georgej said:
i might have missed the post, but what are the cut up pet bottles in the ground for, Rick?

all looking great! gotta love dawn patrol!

Not a problem G... originally, it was for watering the plants I set into the black plastic mulch. I didn't have the soaker hose underneath the plastic mulch yet, and that way I knew each plant would get at least a cup of water at the roots every time I watered without it running off the plastic. I leave them there now so I can give them a shot of liquid nutes every other week.

meatfreak said:
Excellent Jalapeno, Rick. Looks identical to mine last season, dark green so you can pick it soon if you wanna eat it green :)

Excellent... Thanks for the heads-up Stefan! I'll be keeping the Jals picked so the plants get a chance to grow some more and hopefully it'll ramp up production down the road. By early September I hope to get at least 50 or so that I'll let completely ripen for chipotle powder... I love me some Crescent City red beans and rice, and an indispensable ingredient is the chipotle powder! In fact, I've got a pot of red beans going in the slow cooker right now, with a smoked ham hock, fresh bay leaves, a little liquid smoke, Old Bay seasoning, the chipotle powder, tobasco sauce, peppers and onions. I'll thicken it a bit with masa harina and slice up and brown some chorizo sausage to add and pour the whole over rice... :D
SANY1546_zps62c64de5.jpg

You asked about a pic of the Peri Peri Lourens... here's one from this afternoon. The biggest pods are still only about a centimeter long, but by this time next month there's gonna be a jeezly amount of 'em... :dance:
SANY1545_zpsf02d4425.jpg

Cheers all!

maximumcapsicum said:
Missed an update! Plants are looking great, especially the hairy Goat's Weed, maybe my favorite discovered annuum this season but the pulls are still small.

Red beans and rice look tasty. How long do you end up smoking your chipotle's?

Devv said:
Well done Rick!

Those plants are looking strong!

I'm curious too about the steps involved making the Chipolte

Keep doing what you're doing!

Thanks guys. :)

It's pretty easy to make chipotles, but it takes about a whole day to do it right. I do it in my charcoal-fired barrel smoker, starting with about a dozen briquets and a foot-long piece of green apple wood as big around as my fist.  I add a few briquets every half hour or so to keep the heat even until the process is done. What I'm looking for is about 150-175 degrees so I don't burn them to a cinder. A gas or electric smoker box would probably be easier, but I can't afford one unless I hit the lottery. ;)

This web page has some good pics of the process. Technically, I guess these would be chile Moritas instead of chile Meco, but they're good enough for me.
http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2012/10/12/making-your-own-chipotle-peppers-from-jalapenos/

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good as usual Rick. Thanks for the pics of plants and food. Takanotsume is looking good. Have a great week as well.

Thanks Chuck... it's early days yet, but I can tell this plant's gonna be a big producer. :)  Here's a better pic...
SANY1558_zpsfe0882e8.jpg

Thanks to all who sent good vibes. I think they've finally had their effect! Overnight temperatures are still going up and down like a yo-yo, but they seem to be mostly staying in the 50s with the occasional spike on either end. A few plants are still looking kind of yellowish, but most seem to be growing out of that, and I have hopes all will eventually pull out of it. This Szegedi Paprika is an example. It's still flowering after setting these 2 pods, but it's dropping them all. I think it needs to green up and grow out the leaf canopy some more before it can handle more pods.
SANY1548_zps1abb5352.jpg

This Aji Lemon is another example. It hasn't hit the wall yet, like the Paprika, but the other Aji Lemon plant behind it (on the left) is really green and has lots of side branches. No flowers yet though...
SANY1554_zps88be7ff6.jpg

The rest are much greener and healthier looking. Including these Chimayo's. The plants are really sparse-looking, and need to grow out some more before they can really ramp up pod production. I put tomato cages around all of them for support since they looked like they needed it. Given time, I hope they'll grow out into more robust plants.
SANY1550_zpsf5bdb722.jpg

Some of the other players...

Serrano Tampiqueno
SANY1549_zpsa12d2815.jpg

Pritamin Pepper
SANY1551_zpsb4059a77.jpg

Almapaprika "Nagykuti"
SANY1552_zps172b7a81.jpg

Hungarian Hot Wax "Hargita"
SANY1553_zpsdd12f187.jpg

A blurry pic of the Prik Leuang
SANY1555_zpse47a37b7.jpg

Thai Hybrid "Red Demon"
SANY1557_zpscda72775.jpg

... and that's 10. Hope all are having a great Tuesday!

maximumcapsicum said:

NICE. Problem is I literally have no place to put it. Rules against grills/smokers/bbq's on the balconies because they're covered. Then again I have spotted a couple folks *bending* the rules.

I can't help you there Adam... let your conscience be your guide... and your homeowner's insurance. ;)

Jeff H said:
Bump. Looking great Rick.

Thanks Jeff... only a few more...

A more complete picture of the larger Piri Piri
SANY1556_zpse873940d.jpg

Baby Poblano pods
SANY1559_zpsf02ac4a5.jpg

Sang Cho Korean... BootsieB got some of these at his local farmer's market and passed on the seeds. Not sure yet if they're Gochus or Korean salad peppers (no heat). It's starting to really kick in even though it got a very late start... I planted it to plug a hole in my pepper lineup... my Tabasco seeds never sprouted, and this looked quick enough to press into service.
SANY1560_zps4dd564eb.jpg

Cheers!

Back