• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

stickman said:
Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin …

Seems like you just finished and here we go again, awesome mon! w00t Manzano seedlings already sprouting, hope it’s early enough for dem to produce great for you, I should give them a try one year. Wishing you a great year and hab an awesome weekend ^_^

BTW I think you typo on the year above ...

Your like the energizer bunny. Stickman keeps going and going and going. Nice job on your manzano pepper. Mine never set pod. Do you nick/sand the corner of the seed or soak them in anything.

Thanks for the good vibes folks... I never know where I'm going to end up when I start out, but I'm always optimistic. :)

WalkGood said:

Seems like you just finished and here we go again, awesome mon! w00t Manzano seedlings already sprouting, hope it’s early enough for dem to produce great for you, I should give them a try one year. Wishing you a great year and hab an awesome weekend ^_^

BTW I think you typo on the year above ...

I'm not sure how Manzanos would do for you down in the Florida sun, but they do well here if you can get them germed and growing soon enough. I'm hoping to OW mine so I can get a bigger harvest this coming year. If it all works out I'll finally be able to make some Manzano poppers and have some pods left over to share a few and make powder with the rest.

Devv said:
I guess it never ends ;)

Looking forward to this years grow for sure!

Hey... at least it keeps me off the streets... :D

Scarecrw said:
Your like the energizer bunny. Stickman keeps going and going and going. Nice job on your manzano pepper. Mine never set pod. Do you nick/sand the corner of the seed or soak them in anything.

Believe it or not, I didn't... I tried a lot of different things to try to get the seeds to sprout last January but had no luck at all. I did get a few hooks, but the Cotys rotted before they emerged from the seed coat. I think the seeds weren't viable because they'd come from pods that were harvested too soon. The seeds I just planted came from a couple of pods I left on the plant until they started to get flabby. The funny thing was that when I cut into the pods, half the seeds inside had already sprouted. I wasn't going to try to grow them from September on, so I pitched them and dried the remaining seeds. When I planted them, I just put them a quarter of an inch down in a 3 inch pot of seed starting soil, attached some cling wrap to the top of the pot with a rubber band to hold the humidity, and put the pot on top of our gas space heater. The heater vents from the side, so the top is warm to the touch, but no more than that.

Geez, I'm already behind i your glog!

You beat me to the punch, buddy!  I'm going to start some of the long
winded ripeners within the next week!  

The grow season is dead!  
Long live the grow season!

Just got through reading through your 2013 glog stickman. Very interesting stuff!

After reading through your experiences I am thinking about trying out the coffee filter germination method this year. I am curious though, at what point exactly do you transfer the seeds?

PaulG said:
Geez, I'm already behind i your glog!

You beat me to the punch, buddy!  I'm going to start some of the long
winded ripeners within the next week!  

The grow season is dead!  
Long live the grow season!
Thanks for the good vibe my friend, but in truth you started seeds weeks ago, so I'm behind you this time... ;)  It's all good though... I love how we all try different things here and share the outcome so everybody has the benefit of our experiences.

I'm definitely excited about the new season! I'll be attempting to grow Bhut, Frutascens and wild varieties for the first time, and some really interesting ones like the Brown Egg and Goat Weed, some Thai varieties, MoA Scotch Bonnet, and some new Baccatums. Here's the grow list for 2014.

Overwinters... year 2:
Butch T.
Douglah
Yellow 7
Manzano

Hot Annuums:
Thai Orange Fogo
Thai Red Demon
Takanotsume
Goat's Weed
Poblano
Improved Espanola Anaheim
Serrano Tampiqueno
Chimayo'
Jalapeno Coyame
Cascabel
Almapaprika
Hungarian "Pointed Hot"
Pequin

Sweet Annuum:
Kurtovska Kapija
Hungarian Coloring Pepper
Hungarian Tomato Pepper
Marconi Rosso

C. Baccatum:
Aji Lemon
Dedo de Moca

C.Chinense:
Bhut Orange Copenhagen
Guwahati Bhut
Brown Egg
King Naga Jalokia
Scotch Bonnet MoA

C. Frutascens
Tabasco
Piri Piri
Donne Sali
Lotah Bih
maximumcapsicum said:
Just got through reading through your 2013 glog stickman. Very interesting stuff! After reading through your experiences I am thinking about trying out the coffee filter germination method this year. I am curious though, at what point exactly do you transfer the seeds?

Hi Adam,
   Welcome to the zoo! I transfer a seed as soon as I see the radicle (rootlet) poking out of the seed coat. That's when I know it's broken dormancy and it's time to get it into the soil. To avoid "helmet-head" I make sure to plant it at least a quarter of an inch deep and lightly tamp down the soil over it so the seed coat is left behind when the seedling hooks.

Here are the OW plants at week 7... I think I may have been giving them too little water since they all were beginning to drop a few leaves around the edges. The worst hit was the Yellow 7 though, since it had Aphids as well. I sprayed them all with pyrethrin, making sure I got the underside of the leaves and stems, but the Yellow 7 dropped all its new leaves starting a few days after spraying. The stems are still green though, so I'm hoping it'll perk up again. I gave each of the pots about a quart of water, and hopefully that'll bring them back up to parity.

Yellow 7
SANY0576_zpsde220b03.jpg

The Douglah is still holding its own
SANY0577_zps52e06a62.jpg

Manzano starting to perk up a bit
SANY0578_zpsc5b5b1d9.jpg

The Butch T is really looking the best at this point... and the pot with the Manzanos is sharing space with it until I set up my grow table after the holidays.
SANY0575_zps901242f6.jpg

Have a great rest of the weekend all!

Very cool stickman. Does keeping the upturned water bottle in the OW plants keep the soil moisture where you want it? I assume it does or you wouldn't do it!

It seems like it takes about a week for my OW plants to dry out, so they're getting water about once a week. I got aphids too... hard to get them under control. I've hit them with insecticidal soap a couple of times but they pop back up every week or so. I am going to start spraying them with dish soap when I see them, but I also handpick them about twice a day with tweezers. Want to get them under control before I start this season's grow.

maximumcapsicum said:
Very cool stickman. Does keeping the upturned water bottle in the OW plants keep the soil moisture where you want it? I assume it does or you wouldn't do it!

It seems like it takes about a week for my OW plants to dry out, so they're getting water about once a week. I got aphids too... hard to get them under control. I've hit them with insecticidal soap a couple of times but they pop back up every week or so. I am going to start spraying them with dish soap when I see them, but I also handpick them about twice a day with tweezers. Want to get them under control before I start this season's grow.

Hi Alan,
   I've only been watering every other week up to now, but that's obviously not enough, so I'm gonna increase to once a week. The upright water bottles are screwed into something called a "plant nanny" that looks like this...
SANY0308_zps3fe37de1.jpg

The bottle screws into the green plastic part, and that inserts into the unglazed terra cotta spike set nearly flush in the soil of the pot. It waters slowly at the roots as the water perks through the porous ceramic. I had Fungus Gnats in my pots last winter, and I thought that using these would keep the soil at the top of the pot dry enough to keep them from getting established. It seems to be working so far.

As far as the Aphids go... I decided to just nuke the little bastiges with pyrethrin. It's pretty cheap... about $7 for a pump-spray bottle, and oxidizes in about 12 hours, leaving behind no toxic residue. It's a contact poison, so it works equally well for piercing and sucking insects like Aphids as it does for leaf-chewing insects like Asiatic Garden Beetles. During the outdoor growing season I don't need to use poisons like this since I make companion plantings of things that attract friendlies like Lacewings and Lady Beetles. French Marigolds and Cilantro are examples... http://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_attract_benefi.html

Nice list and good luck with your new grow.  :)

Around what date do you expect to be able to put the OW outside?  They look like they'll bust out new growth at the first chance.

megamoo said:
Nice list and good luck with your new grow.  :)

Around what date do you expect to be able to put the OW outside?  They look like they'll bust out new growth at the first chance.
Hi Moo! It's usually somewhere around the middle to the end of April here, but it could be as late as the middle of May... it depends on the weather. From what I'm reading, the Fruts are more susceptible to cold than the other varieties, so they may go in last.

Back