• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

I was going to ask about those water units before  those re cool.
this brings up the one downside I see in the soft pots like the Root Pouches.  
You really can't bottom water them - at least I haven't tried, because I'm afraid
of rotting out the bottoms.  I might be crazy, maybe they would suck the water
up just fine, they do when a little gets in their tray.  I really prefer bottom watering.  
Maybe I need to try it with a few cloth pots.

The journey to a thousand pods begins with the first seed in the dirt and you my friend have planted that seed. Sounds like your in for a great grow this year. Can't wait to see how your OWs come back. 

Stay warm till plant out Rick

PaulG said:
I was going to ask about those water units before  those re cool.
this brings up the one downside I see in the soft pots like the Root Pouches.  
You really can't bottom water them - at least I haven't tried, because I'm afraid
of rotting out the bottoms.  I might be crazy, maybe they would suck the water
up just fine, they do when a little gets in their tray.  I really prefer bottom watering.  
Maybe I need to try it with a few cloth pots.

I think it may work better with the cloth pots since there isn't any space between the bottom of the pot and whatever you have it set on. Airpots have an inch of space there. I don't think the synthetic fibers they make the felt pots out of will rot quickly if wet, but I'd be more suspicious of the stitching. Usually they use nylon for that, and the UV in sunlight will rot nylon over the course of a season unless it's protected somehow. That's one of the reasons why nylon mountaineering rope and parachute cord have a woven cover over the core.
RocketMan said:
The journey to a thousand pods begins with the first seed in the dirt and you my friend have planted that seed. Sounds like your in for a great grow this year. Can't wait to see how your OWs come back. 

Thanks for the good vibe Brother Bill... I'm looking forward to it too... ;)  Have you got your 2014 list together yet?
Woo-hoo! Jamison's in the house... thanks for stopping by buddy! :)   Are you still commuting between Wisconsin and Tennessee? Any idea yet on whether or not you'll consolidate your grow in one location?

I got a little birthday money from my Mom, and used it to get that 30x magnifier I've been needing so I can keep a lookout for Aphids and Mites, and 125ml bottle of General Hydroponics RapidStart. I bought my airpots last winter from a hydroponics shop nearby, and at the time they threw in a sample bottle for me to try. I was pretty impressed with how dense the root hairs were after using the product, so I bought some more.
SANY0590_zpsc41b96d1.jpg

Have a good week all!

stickman said:

As far as the Aphids go... I decided to just nuke the little bastiges with pyrethrin. It's pretty cheap... about $7 for a pump-spray bottle, and oxidizes in about 12 hours, leaving behind no toxic residue. It's a contact poison, so it works equally well for piercing and sucking insects like Aphids as it does for leaf-chewing insects like Asiatic Garden Beetles. During the outdoor growing season I don't need to use poisons like this since I make companion plantings of things that attract friendlies like Lacewings and Lady Beetles. French Marigolds and Cilantro are examples... http://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_attract_benefi.html

Really ramping up!

Yeah, right now I'm spraying them down in the sink, trying to physically blast them and their eggs off the leaves. I've also sprayed them with dish soap whenever they appear. If they're not clear around seed starting time I'll go ahead and nuke them for real.

Definitely going to add some marigolds when I plant the garden.

maximumcapsicum said:

Really ramping up!

Yeah, right now I'm spraying them down in the sink, trying to physically blast them and their eggs off the leaves. I've also sprayed them with dish soap whenever they appear. If they're not clear around seed starting time I'll go ahead and nuke them for real.

Definitely going to add some marigolds when I plant the garden.

Definitely do it... it'll help! I think Cilantro goes hand-in-hand with spicy food. Chop some on as a garnish and give it a squeeze of lime juice and you have a classic accompaniment. The Cilantro attracts friendlies too.

Came home from work today to find a Lotah Bih seedling fully up and 3 more hooks! :woohoo:
SANY0597_zpsf94d84c5.jpg

Looking good Rick. I'm pleased your monzano is overwintering well. you should have a nice early summer harvest off of that thing.

When are you planting the annuums and bacs? Personally, I am starting mine early this year. Right after the holidays are over. I want mine all filling out one gallon pots by the time I put them outside. Early pods FTW.

Devv said:
Rick,

I just like it!

Go team go!
Thanks Scott! Glad to see you're off to a good start too since you're planning on planting out in a month or two... Go team!

Penny said:
Awwwe, what a cute little baby sprout ;)....
Thanks Miz Penny... I'm hoping to fill the nursery pretty soon... So far, just the longest-season chiles.

Jeff H said:
Looking good Rick. I'm pleased your monzano is overwintering well. you should have a nice early summer harvest off of that thing.

When are you planting the annuums and bacs? Personally, I am starting mine early this year. Right after the holidays are over. I want mine all filling out one gallon pots by the time I put them outside. Early pods FTW.
Hi Jeff,
   From your mouth to God's ear on the Manzano, eh?

The next round of seeds will be the rest of the Chinense, the Baccatums and the Kapijas... the Kapijas have an extremely long season for an Annuum... about 120 days, but all that time on the plant makes for an extremely sweet and flavorful pepper that makes great Ajvar! The burn is nice, but I'm also addicted to the great taste of homemade fire-roasted Ajvar. If you've never heard of it before, check out DocNrock's thread on making it... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/36298-ajvar/?hl=%2Bdocnrock+%2Bajvar

The Lotah Bih seedlings are all doing great! I had one helmet head, but I managed to tease the seed coat off of the cotys without breakage.
SANY0599_zpsaafb6bd9.jpg

One of the Manzano seedlings had a bit of rot on the tips of the cotys, so I pinched it off, figuring that I had two more seedlings if this one didn't make it. Even if it doesn't, I'm still doing 200 percent better than last year...
SANY0601_zps280aedb2.jpg

Still waiting to hear from the Donne Sali, BOC, Guwahati Bhut and Lourens' King Naga Jalokia.

Hey, Rick, ¡Feliz cumpleaños!  

Sheese.  I'm looking at your grow and seeing cotys already.  
I feel like I'm already slow off the block with the germination
portion - D**n you, Stickman!

Really, bro, you have become a black belt grower; and look at
all that heat!  You've come a long way, Rickster!

Back