• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2014 Glog- That's all folks!

Hi All,
   I've got Manzanos sprouted and my Bhuts, Lotah Bih and Donne Sali seeds planted so it looks like time to leave 2103 behind and begin to concentrate on 2014. Last year I started some of my late-season varieties right after New Year's Day, but our season was too short to bring the pods to full ripeness so this year I started 2-3 weeks earlier.

Manzano seedlings...
SANY0561_zps2721a954.jpg

Fruts and Bhuts ;) ...
SANY0563_zps751c84bc.jpg

There are many more varieties yet to plant in the proper turn, and I have 4 overwintered pepper plants from 2013 that I'll report on later. Have a great weekend all!

Thanks for the birthday wishes folks... I appreciate them. :)

Unfortunately, my wife has been home sick for the last few days, but I made some creamed Finnan Haddie on toast with some of Shane's Manzano powder for supper, and steamed kale with orange ancient sweet peppers and a 22 oz bottle of Red Hand Brewing's St Vrain Trippel for afterwards.
SANY0602_zps74b0c07b.jpg

PIC 1 said:
Happy Birthday Rick !

The seedlings look happy, drawing in the light
Thanks brother Greg! I kicked the hours of light up to 12 on/12 off and swapped out the 23 watt CFL bulbs for the 85 watt 5500k CFLs. It isn't quite T5  bulbs, but I couldn't argue with the price (free!). I'll increase the hours of light to 16 on/8 off after New Year's day, and if I need to later, I'll get a couple more drop lights and hang the 23 watt bulbs so they shine from the side of the OW plants to improve light penetration below the canopy.

maximumcapsicum said:
Any idea why the monzano sprout had some rot on the cotys?
I haven't done any empirical research, so I can't tell you for sure, but I suspect that with Manzanos you score fast or you lose fast. The seedlings that sprouted quickly were fine, but the one that lagged behind the others had a bit of rot on the cotys. I wouldn't expect any seeds that sprouted after that to survive. I suspect it might be because the seed coat on the Manzano seeds is pretty thick, so the seeds don't dry as quickly, and maybe that gives some kind of fungus time to get established before then. There's an English seed-saver's website that says that pepper seeds need to be thoroughly dried to go fully dormant... http://howtosaveseeds.com/store.php
jma1787 said:
Nice glog. I'll be following it this year.

Hi John... welcome to the zoo!
PaulG said:
Hey, Rick, ¡Feliz cumpleaños!  

Thanks bro'!

Sheese.  I'm looking at your grow and seeing cotys already.  
I feel like I'm already slow off the block with the germination
portion - D**n you, Stickman!

Heh, heh... :)

Really, bro, you have become a black belt grower; and look at
all that heat!  You've come a long way, Rickster!
S'right Paul... now that I've got here with the heat, I can't go back! ;)

stickman said:
Unfortunately, my wife has been home sick for the last few days, but I made some creamed Finnan Haddie on toast with some of Shane's Manzano powder for supper, and steamed kale with orange ancient sweet peppers and a 22 oz bottle of Red Hand Brewing's St Vrain Trippel for afterwards.
 Sorry to hear your wife is feeling poorly, Rick, but I'm sure she enjoyed the food and drink.  What did you have? :) 

stickman said:
Bookmarked
stickman said:
Bookmarked

:bday:

Regards to the wif, brother, hope she is on the mend.  She couldn't
have a better caregiver.

It was good of you to make her that nice dinner     :liar:    :rofl:

With a 22 ouncer, to boot!

Sawyer said:
 Sorry to hear your wife is feeling poorly, Rick, but I'm sure she enjoyed the food and drink.  What did you have? :) 

Bookmarked
Bookmarked

:bday:
Thanks Buzz!

If you liked the "Farmer Fred" tips on attracting beneficial insects, you might like this one about germinating Peppers... http://farmerfredrant.blogspot.com/2012/03/pepper-seeds-wont-germinate-some-tips.html
PaulG said:
Regards to the wif, brother, hope she is on the mend.  She couldn't
have a better caregiver.

It was good of you to make her that nice dinner     :liar:    :rofl:

With a 22 ouncer, to boot!

We both had the meal, but the bottle was for the birthday boy...  she's been drinking hot herbal teas to help shake off the mung. ;)

Happy belated B-Day Rick! Hope the day was special!

Once I got a 5 in front I started taking the "day" off every year, you only live once ;)

And I too did some bookmarking..

Have a great weekend and here's hoping the wife feels better!

Pinoy83 said:
hey brahhhh....our bar uses shishito peppers... do they use that for drinks?
Hi Brah... maybe they use 'em for this Marguerita recipe... http://www.thekitchn.com/roast-it-then-toast-it-shishito-peppers-with-a-shishito-rita-173600
I oughta forward this to Jamie... I know he's into Tequila.
Devv said:
Happy belated B-Day Rick! Hope the day was special!

Once I got a 5 in front I started taking the "day" off every year, you only live once ;)

And I too did some bookmarking..

Have a great weekend and here's hoping the wife feels better!
Thanks Scott, she is feeling better... enough to go out and get her hair cut this morning anyways. Cheers!
Penny said:
Nope...haven't tried the "kitchen sink" yet, saving that for breakfast tomorrow morning :dance: ;)
Keep a pitcher of Mimosas handy... you might need it to put out the fire... ;)

Penny said:
Ok....gotta ask....what were the peppers that are in the kitchen sink? That stuff is HOT!! ;)
Hi Miz Penny,
   I hope you liked the taste... a two-finger pinch on my breakfast eggs is just about the right dose for me... the powder was made from most of the Chinense chiles I grew in 2013 and some Criolla Sella pods as well. There were Chocolate Habs, Maya Red Habs, Orange Habs, Yellow Bhut crosses, Cheiro Recife, Trinidad Perfume, Douglahs, Scotch Bonnet crosses and Butch T... With the exception of the Cheiro Recife, all smoked for 2 hours at between 56 and 93 degrees C with Cherry wood on a charcoal fire, then dried and ground.

Back