• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

tctenten said:
Are you planning on any fruit in the jelly or just peppers? I have not tried a pure pepper jelly yet.

Definitely jam with fruit Terry. I haven't quite got pure jellies figured out yet... all the ones I've tried so far have refused to set, and until I get it right I won't commit my chiles to them. :)

Devv said:
If you come up with anything close to the Peach-Hab jelly you will surely have a winner! It's going fast ;)

Glad you and LB like it Scott. It's a favorite here too. :)

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking sauce. I can't give any advice on jelly or jam. I've not had any consistency in the execution of final product. I just pitted and froze some peaches my neighbor gave me. Do have a jam recipe?

For the Scotch Bonnet-Peach jam I just use a standard Peach jam recipe and add a Bonnet pod per quart of finished product... That's usually 3 pods per batch. I personally could add more, but I don't want to frighten off the rest of the family since it's future Christmas presents. ;)

randyp said:
Looks good Rick.I just don't think you have enough to do.Keep your eyes on your mail this week buddy. :dance: 

You're too much Randy... thanks a lot!

Well folks... it's been a :censored: of a week here! One of our aides broke an ankle last week and it caused a major reshuffling of schedules to cover her clients, and yours truly had some of them added to his. Meanwhile, I'm trying to process the harvest and finding out that the Pepper Maggot infestation in my chiles is more extensive than I thought. :(  That means I'm gonna have to cut into every pod to check for their presence before processing, and discarding those affected. Just what I needed... something to make processing more time-consuming... :rolleyes:
I haven't practiced true crop rotation in my garden plot in the 5 years I've had it, but it looks like I'm gonna have to refrain from planting peppers and eggplant in that plot next year in order to encourage the Pepper Flies to move on. It's a good thing I have so much hot stuff stockpiled and connections to the hot pepper world, eh?

On the plus side... I'm still getting good harvests from the chiles I planted in the small raised bed behind the house. Having the outside heat- exchanger from our mini-split blowing hot air directly at this bed was a boon for the supers and Scotch Bonnets planted there... They love the heat! They're the biggest Bhut pods I've ever grown, and I finally got Scotch Bonnets with the true shape. :dance:  I also designed some sticky labels for my sauce bottles and bags of powder, and had them printed up.
IM002818.JPG
SANY1779.JPG
SANY1781.JPG

I hope you all have a great week, and lots of fun making things with your harvest!

Devv said:
Jamaican Me Crazy is just perfect!

Now that needs to be licensed :dance:

Sadly, it already is Scott... but I'm not planning on selling any of my sauce and I just like the name. ;)

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I ate all of the peach scotch bonnet jam you sent me in less than a week. It was really good!

I saw that you were thinking of making some pepper jelly. I would recommend the recipe on this page.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/58085-red-rocoto-jelly/#entry1363222

I made the recipe exactly as listed, and it came out fantastic.

Glad you liked it Dale, and thanks for the recipe for your Red Rocoto Jelly. Funny enough... I have a pound of frozen Red Rocoto pods handy. Maybe I'll make a batch with the Rocotos and experiment with making one with Bhuts too.

tctenten said:
I have some issues with the pepper maggots too. It hasn't been to bad, but it is present.

Sorry to hear that Terry... I hope they're less of an annoyance to you than they are to me...

tsurrie said:
Sorry to hear about the maggots. I hope they're not digging in a lot of them...

As for the time consuming thing - I know what you mean. Luckily we all love working with peppers, right?

Rock on! Cheers.

S'right brother... I'd rather one d***ed thing after another instead of everything at once, eh? ;)

Speaking of lots to do... I made another batch of Bonnet-Mango hot sauce last night and today's harvest put me back at square one!
SANY1782.JPG

Brother Randy outdid himself with this MFRB of luscious-looking pods! You da Man Randy!
SANY1785.JPG

It's hard to believe that September is nearly at an end, and there are only 3 more weeks of harvest guaranteed before frost. I've been noticing a few trees coloring up and dropping leaves this week.       TGIF tomorrow!

Great looking powder, Rick.

I like the labels. How did you do that?

That's very cool of Randy.

Thanks again for the pod's you sent me. Them Chinese were hot. Still haven't used the Gochu powder. Haven't made anything worthy of it yet.

The leaves are changing here as well. Been dipping into the 40's. Snow level is at 9,000ft tonight. I'm only at 5,092, so still have some time left.

OCD Chilehead said:
Great looking powder, Rick.

I like the labels. How did you do that?

That's very cool of Randy.

Thanks again for the pod's you sent me. Them Chinese were hot. Still haven't used the Gochu powder. Haven't made anything worthy of it yet.

The leaves are changing here as well. Been dipping into the 40's. Snow level is at 9,000ft tonight. I'm only at 5,092, so still have some time left.

Thanks for the good vibe Chuck! I downloaded some clipart from the web for the labels and designed them on our MS Publisher program using a blank address label template for the powder labels and a blank business card template for the sauce labels. Once I had the designs done, I took them to a copy shop and had them printed up on full sheets of glossy finish peel-and-stick stock. They charged me about $12 for nine sheets... pretty good for one-off work, and I did my own cutting. I also had some heat-shrink seals I got from SalsaLady so they look professional. :)

Glad you liked the Bonnets and Bhuts... I'm sure you'll do well with the Gochugaru.

I hope the weather cooperates with your harvest Chuck! The Autumn "rollercoaster" is starting here... that back and forth dance the thermometer does when the season is in transition. The next two days are supposed to be in the 80s, and then the 2 days after that will drop down to the 60s with overnight lows on Saturday and Sunday predicted for 40 degrees. The cooler autumn days are still good for drying in the solar dehydrator since the temperatures it generates may be lower, but the humidity is too.

Datil said:
Lovely labels Rick!
Powder and sauces look yummy!
Show me those super-sized bhuts :)

Datil

Sure thing Fabrizio... we aim to please. :)
IM002829.JPG

There were so many Douglahs in Randy's box that I'm thinking of making sauce from the cherrywood smoked pods with blueberries and maple syrup. I think that was my most popular sauce a couple of years ago TGIF all!

Rick, those brown pods from Randy have a fantastic taste. And about the time you say "this really tastes good", bam! As you signature says.....LOL

Not liking that weather report Chuck!

Datil said:
Awesome!!

Datil

:)

az1000 said:
Great Bhuts ,I'm impressed!
I planned to grow some next year,they are my favorite Chinense.

Go for it! They're a great-tasting pepper in food or infused in good vegetable oil. I also like a dusting of the powder on homemade chocolate ice cream with a bit of Cointreau or other Triple Sec in it. :drooling:

OCD Chilehead said:
We got our first snow of the year. Mountain tops are white. Daytime temp today only 50. Going to be in the lower 70's the next couple weeks.

Yikes! Are you going to cover your chiles to get them through the cold spike? It's about 40 degrees outside at sunrise here... tomorrow night is predicted to drop down to 35 degrees, so I'll have to cover the raised bed behind the house before going to bed tonight.

Devv said:
Rick, those brown pods from Randy have a fantastic taste. And about the time you say "this really tastes good", bam! As you signature says.....LOL

That's what I'd expect from Douglahs for sure. ;) I smoked them yesterday with his Scorpions and Nagas, and I'll make the sauce today. One change of plan... I picked a couple quarts of Autumn Olives this week, and I'll use them in the sauce instead of Blueberries. http://www.autumnberryinspired.com/about-autumn-berry/uses  
If I get enough time this morning, I'll make a batch of Scotch Bonnet puree too.

Cheers all!

Comptine said:
Only just caught up with your glog, seems like you're busy picking peppers! I'm glad your season is going well. And congrats on the show peppers, they really did look great.

Cheers Alana! Yup... I got all my Scotch Bonnets processed today, along with a liter of Autumn Olive fruit. Some went into my smoked Douglah-Naga-Scorpion sauce and the rest went into Autumn Olive ketchup.
IM002832.JPG
IM002833.JPG

Trident chilli said:
Scotch bonnet purée I look forward to that Rick ... Jamaican Long seed will be ready to ship soon

Thanks John, I can't wait!

Keeping busy with the processing....that has been taking up my spare time too. Autumn olive is something new to me, heading over to Google now.

Back