• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

Devv said:
Congrats! You surely deserve it ;)

How did the other compare?

Cheers Scott! Like Chuck said... the other entries were smaller, unripe, and Jalapenos or sweets. The best looking competing entry was some huge, ripe Corno de Toro pods.

OCD Chilehead said:
Congrats on the ribbons. If the green house goes well, I might have something to show in the county fair. There is always cayennes, jalapeños and sweet peppers there. Nothing else. I never have anything ripe until the fair is over. It was last month.

I checked the links again. The site is up and running. Thanks again.

Have a great weekend.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your fair entries next year Chuck! Cheers!

stickman said:

Ah... so that was the "secret" ingredient... :P

Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck seeing those online recipes. If you can't see them now I can pm them to you.

Cheers Uros! I got my entries in on Wednesday after work... this weekend I'll be processing the rest of the harvest... smoking peppers in preparation to drying them, making a cooked sauce with Scotch Bonnet peppers and ripe Mangoes, and dancing attendance on my solar dehydrator as I dry the peppers that go into my powder blend. I did well at the fair too... I won first place in five pepper categories

Asian Peppers (Gochus)
attachicon.gif
SANY1758.JPG

Bonnet-type Peppers (MoA Scotch Bonnets)
attachicon.gif
SANY1759.JPG

Finger Hot Peppers (Pusa Jwalas)
attachicon.gif
SANY1760.JPG

Other Peppers (Bhuts)
attachicon.gif
SANY1762.JPG

Best Pepper Collection ( Bhuts, Morugas, Aji Pineapples, Gochus and Scotch Bonnets)
attachicon.gif
SANY1764.JPG

The prize money didn't pay for the costs attached to the growing season, but it'll buy the beer for the end of it. :party:
Rick those prize winning peppers would go great with our Iowa 2016 prize winning hog buddy.
Reggie-Iowa-hog-31347057_62857_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

stickman said:
Maybe 5% of my Scotch Bonnet pods had the "right" shape, but you're welcome to some seeds if you want to swap, sure!

Thanks for all the good vibes folks!
Rick fully understand that's about the same percentage I am having in getting the true P. Dreadie Select

stickman said:

Cheers Scott! Like Chuck said... the other entries were smaller, unripe, and Jalapenos or sweets. The best looking competing entry was some huge, ripe Corno de Toro pods.

I'll be looking forward to hearing about your fair entries next year Chuck! Cheers!
 Well they need to spend some time here reading your glog Rick, to learn how it's done :P

stickman said:

Ah... so that was the "secret" ingredient... :P

Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck seeing those online recipes. If you can't see them now I can pm them to you.

Cheers Uros! I got my entries in on Wednesday after work... this weekend I'll be processing the rest of the harvest... smoking peppers in preparation to drying them, making a cooked sauce with Scotch Bonnet peppers and ripe Mangoes, and dancing attendance on my solar dehydrator as I dry the peppers that go into my powder blend. I did well at the fair too... I won first place in five pepper categories

Asian Peppers (Gochus)
attachicon.gif
SANY1758.JPG

Bonnet-type Peppers (MoA Scotch Bonnets)
attachicon.gif
SANY1759.JPG

Finger Hot Peppers (Pusa Jwalas)
attachicon.gif
SANY1760.JPG

Other Peppers (Bhuts)
attachicon.gif
SANY1762.JPG

Best Pepper Collection ( Bhuts, Morugas, Aji Pineapples, Gochus and Scotch Bonnets)
attachicon.gif
SANY1764.JPG

The prize money didn't pay for the costs attached to the growing season, but it'll buy the beer for the end of it. :party:

That's great! Congratulations Rick! :dance:

Cheers guys!

I spent the day seeding and smoking Jalapenos, Bhuts and the last of Dale's 7-Pot Primos and loading them into the dehydrator, then seeding, pureeing and canning half a kilo of MoA Bonnets. Tomorrow I'll be cooking up a hot sauce with the rest of the Bonnets and some Mangoes. No pics though... my wife is off for a weekend with her girlfriends and she has the camera.

My wife is back with the camera, so I can finally show some of what I've been up to this weekend...

This year's powder blend up to the moment in a 2-quart jar.
SANY1775.JPG

Scotch Bonnet-Mango sauce
SANY1774.JPG

Tomorrow night, when my wife is out singing with friends, I'll make a tomato and onion based hot sauce.

Have a great week all!

OCD Chilehead said:
Sauce looks good, Rick. I've not used curry or anise. I use allspice though. Interesting. I'm going to make another batch down the line. Might have to experiment.

Definitely experiment Chuck! When I'm improvising while cooking, I smell the food I'm thinking of adding something to and then smell the possible addition. If the combination seems pleasant to me I go ahead and add it a little at a time until I figure there's enough.

I'm making sauce tonight... the "Rick's Red" recipe, but I substituted 4 oz of Bhuts and half a cup of smoked Paprika for 3 pounds of red Habaneros. I've got it simmering on the stove to soften the ingredients, and when that's done I'll run it through a food mill. If it needs some perking up I'll steam another four ounces of Bhuts, puree them and stir them in before heating through and bottling.
SANY1776.JPG

Back