• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

FreeportBum said:
Looking good Rick, garden coming along nicely. Hopefully the weather improves for both of us soon. Cheers

Heh... From your mouth to God's ear, eh? :) I hope things warm up enough for you to plant out soon as well. Cheers!

randyp said:
I love it all Rick,The Com spot you have looks like it will get some good sunshine.

Cheers Randy! It sure does... the raised bed on the south side of the house where I plant my supers does too. One side benefit of the heat pump placement outside I notice, is that when we have it in cooling mode inside, it'll blow heat directly at the raised bed with the supers two feet away... :hell:

romy6 said:
 Got your Gochu on Rickster . Looking splendid  :dance:

Hey, brother Jamie's in the house! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Thought I'd whip up a little Tex-Mex for Cinco de Mayo... Mojo shredded Pork for supper, and a fresh salsa made with Ramps instead of green Onions.
gallery_5842_196_599793.jpg

Plate shot... Springtime Tomato salsa fresca made with tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, red bell pepper, white onion, ramps and about a tbsp of crushed Pequins... grated chipotle cheddar cheese, Pork Carnitas and brother Randy's Twister Sauce!
gallery_5842_196_264754.jpg

Have a great night all!

Hi Folks!   A week has helped the Gochus in the grow-box down cellar get a little bit more established. All of them now have true leaves, and quite a few are starting on their 2nd or 3rd set.
gallery_5842_195_794572.jpg

gallery_5842_195_196015.jpg

gallery_5842_195_223307.jpg

gallery_5842_195_947966.jpg

gallery_5842_195_581840.jpg

The Chinense varieties, Jalapenos and Poblanos jammed into a single 1020 tray are looking like a jungle... the Jalapenos have forked and started to flower... They want to go outside real bad!
gallery_5842_195_730822.jpg

Tomatoes started together with the Gochus are ready to transplant outside now too.
gallery_5842_195_141267.jpg

Hope you all have a great Saturday night!

Devv said:
Nice update Rick!

Great to be back in the saddle eh?

Those plants are looking fantastic, and will serve you well!

Keep it green my friend!

Thanks Guy! I ferried 2 loads of old planks home from my Mom's place to start knocking together the raised bed frames. Got one mostly done this morning before it started to rain again... Dang! At least the next few days are supposed to be sunny here, and maybe I can get some real work done when I get home from my paying gig...

Trident chilli said:
Great looking healthy plants Rick

Cheers John! I got off to such a late start this year that they're still very small by my usual standards about now, but thank God they're healthy and growing fairly quickly. I'm feeding them a dilute solution of ferts to help them get bigger more quickly... hope it makes a difference.

wiriwiri said:
Hi Rick,your gochus looking  'WICKED" good  ;)  ...had it with the dismal weather...its our turn for sun...let it shine!
Happy growing!

Thanks Sandy, and I hear ya 'bout the weather! Looking forward to a few days of sun my own self... :P

randyp said:
   Get your work in Rick,My dry days are over rain comes monday and should be at your house Thursday.Have a good week buddy.

Thanks Randy... we'll take it! Was your sun accompanied with cool temps. and fairly high winds like ours was today?

Hi Folks! I went out before breakfast and finished the first raised bed in the community garden... 4 more to go if the lumber holds out. I also transplanted the Garlic Chives to the end of the raised bed and the Horseradish a little ways outside it. Next is filling it the rest of the way full with compost and transplanting the OW Scallions.
gallery_5842_195_151489.jpg

Spring is definitely here now... the sun is finally out and a Bluebird is guarding his chosen nesting box in the back yard. Have a great week all!
gallery_5842_195_31347.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
Looks good Rick.

Is the pvc for tunnel's?
Cheers Chuck! :)  Ya... the short pieces of PVC are anchors for the low row cover hoops. They're a bit over half an inch inside diameter, and I make the hoops out of 10-foot sections of half-inch PVC, so I pound the bigger pieces into the ground on either side of the raised beds and push the ends of the half inch inside and lock them down with self-tapping sheet metal screws. The sheet poly I keep in place with snap clamps. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8321-snap-clamps-for-emt.aspx  
If I roll the edges of the poly and staple them to the boards on the sides, the wind can't get underneath and blow it free of the hoops. Putting soaker hoses or drip tape on top of the soil in the raised bed means I don't have to take the row cover apart to water.

stickman said:

Cheers John! I got off to such a late start this year that they're still very small by my usual standards about now, but thank God they're healthy and growing fairly quickly. I'm feeding them a dilute solution of ferts to help them get bigger more quickly... hope it makes a difference.

Thanks Sandy, and I hear ya 'bout the weather! Looking forward to a few days of sun my own self... :P

Thanks Randy... we'll take it! Was your sun accompanied with cool temps. and fairly high winds like ours was today?
The temps were warm but will have 2 nights in the 40's this coming weekend.With me not mulching and still having cover on plants I should be fine,No winds,

randyp said:
The temps were warm but will have 2 nights in the 40's this coming weekend.With me not mulching and still having cover on plants I should be fine,No winds,

Verra nice! Now that I've got my first raised bed finished, I'll get it set up with the IRT plastic mulch and low row cover so I can start hardening off in it. We'll have to compare notes if you're interested. :)

Pequins are coming along nicely
gallery_5842_195_391086.jpg
gallery_5842_195_568081.jpg

My over-wintered Red Rocoto needs to stretch its roots and get a haircut
gallery_5842_195_93728.jpg

A last "non" pic... every year I try to grow something exotic. This year it's Pandan Grass. I was given the plant last winter by my Aunt from Indonesia. The leaves have a very nutty flavor and are used in Southeast Asian cooking to flavor rice (especially with coconut milk) and sweet cakes.
gallery_5842_195_640273.jpg

That's all for now. Have a great day all!

Looking good Rick. Plants are going to reward you with all the hard work. This is my first year growing in the ground. Virgin soil. It's more like silt/clay. Looks nothing like your soil. I tilled the area, added some horse manure, tilled again. I'm going to use a top dressing fertilizer. I don't think I can use the plastic mulch and top dress. Maybe next year when my soil is a little better. I usually dump garden-tone in the hole when I transplant and top dress every month. I'm going to use a drip system. I could plastic mulch the planter boxes. What are your thoughts?

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Rick. Plants are going to reward you with all the hard work. This is my first year growing in the ground. Virgin soil. It's more like silt/clay. Looks nothing like your soil. I tilled the area, added some horse manure, tilled again. I'm going to use a top dressing fertilizer. I don't think I can use the plastic mulch and top dress. Maybe next year when my soil is a little better. I usually dump garden-tone in the hole when I transplant and top dress every month. I'm going to use a drip system. I could plastic mulch the planter boxes. What are your thoughts?

I hope the Horse manure was well-composted Chuck! Green Horse manure is loaded with Ammonia, and may burn the roots of the plants set too near it. I usually spread it on the surface in the fall and turn it under in spring so it gets a chance to mellow first. It's true that it would be difficult to top-dress with granulated ferts if you plant your peppers in plastic mulch, but it's easy to water in liquid ferts... I just cut the bottoms off of 1/2 liter water bottles, take the caps off and almost bury them neck-down next to the plants. When I want to feed, I just mix the ferts up in a 2 gallon watering can... maybe adding a half a cup or so of molasses or corn syrup to give the plants some sugar they didn't have to photosynthesize by themselves... and give each plant a cup or so. The ferts perk into the soil next to the roots, and voila! If there's anything that goes wrong with the drip irrigation system it's a handy backup too. A half liter of water per plant per day is plenty. That's how I did it through the plastic mulch before I had drip irrigation installed. I don't think it's necessary to mulch planter boxes because they're small and in full sun, and heat up much more than the soil in the ground anyway. I recall Shane in San Diego had to wrap his planters in reflective material because they would have overheated if he hadn't.

Thanks for info Rick. I'm a bit worried now with the horse manure. It was a mixture of composted and green. I spread it out and let it sit for a week. I watered it down and covered with plastic for a week. I've tilled it now 4 times in the past month. And we've got 4-5 inches of rain. You think it might have diluted down? I used around 1 1/2 yards. My garden is 20x15.

Thanks for the watering tip. I might try that out. Yeah I have that problem already with the planters. They get direct sun all day. I think I need more of a conventional mulch to trap water.

OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for info Rick. I'm a bit worried now with the horse manure. It was a mixture of composted and green. I spread it out and let it sit for a week. I watered it down and covered with plastic for a week. I've tilled it now 4 times in the past month. And we've got 4-5 inches of rain. You think it might have diluted down? I used around 1 1/2 yards. My garden is 20x15.

Thanks for the watering tip. I might try that out. Yeah I have that problem already with the planters. They get direct sun all day. I think I need more of a conventional mulch to trap water.

You're probably OK if it was a 50-50 mix Chuck... I'll bet it only spread out a couple of inches thick, if that, and that much rain should have leached it out enough if the soil perks well enough. You have sandy soil if I remember correctly?

Hi All! I got a load of compost from a local firm that makes their own, and used it to fill in the first raised bed in the community garden.
gallery_5842_195_849194.jpg

I set up the drip irrigation lines to the raised bed in the back yard, and laid on the IRT plastic mulch and set up the hoops for the agricultural fabric. This is where I'll harden off before transplanting outside, and it'll be the final home for the Chinense varieties and the Red Rocoto.
gallery_5842_195_409258.jpg

Water line setup... water pressure regulator, hose timer and receiver for the rain sensor.
gallery_5842_195_1038527.jpg

... and the rain sensor set up in another flower bed about 10 feet from the hose timer. This checks the soil moisture, and will transmit a signal to the hose timer suspending the timer program until the soil dries out. That way the program doesn't run when it rains more than a few sprinkles.
gallery_5842_195_290340.jpg

Have a great hump day all!

Back