• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2016 Gochu Glog- Transplanting is Finished

Hi All, I'm back again after quite a while and more than a few changes. Health issues got in the way of being active here after Christmas, but I've resolved those and am ready to plug in here again, albeit with less time than I had before. Anyway... on to the chiles!

My friends with a CISA farm have started 6 MoA Scotch Bonnets, what I hope are 2 King Nagas and a couple of Jalapenos. I have three 1020 trays worth of 3inch pots planted with 4 varieties of Gochu peppers. I sowed them a week ago and they're just now starting to sprout. I also have 12 pots of Texas Wild Pequins and 6 pots of Guwahati Bhuts planted that haven't started to sprout.

In addition to the solar food dryer, I picked up a stainless steel 10-quart pressure cooker at Christmas time, so I'm planning on experimenting with using it to process purees and sauces to hopefully make them more shelf-stable. Any input on that would be gratefully accepted. :)

Gochus starting...
SANY1071_zpsw9uylem5.jpg

Chinense varieties and Jalapenos
SANY1073_zpsupkiifxc.jpg

That's all for now... see ya all later! :party:

Looking damn good there Rick. I love your watering setup. The compost looks fantastic.

My soil is on the clay/silt side. Your probably thinking of Scott's. I added it to loosen up the ground for drainage. I think your probably right. Not to many inches of manure. I'm going to stick with composting leaves this year. I'll till it all in at the end of the season.

Again, great setup!

Thanks for the help.

Welcome back !  Also you have a really nice setup up for your seedlings but what I'm mostly jealous about is all of the grow space in your yard.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking damn good there Rick. I love your watering setup. The compost looks fantastic.

My soil is on the clay/silt side. Your probably thinking of Scott's. I added it to loosen up the ground for drainage. I think your probably right. Not to many inches of manure. I'm going to stick with composting leaves this year. I'll till it all in at the end of the season.

Again, great setup!

Thanks for the help.

There you go... use leaves, grass clippings, straw or whatever bits of chopped-up vegetation for mulch during the growing season and you can spread green manure in the fall when your plants are done. :party:

SavinaRed said:
Welcome back !  Also you have a really nice setup up for your seedlings but what I'm mostly jealous about is all of the grow space in your yard.

Hi Nick, and welcome to the zoo! :P  How are things in Modesto? My sister is in Wisconsin now, but for a while she worked at UC Santa Cruz nearby. Cheers!
tctenten said:
Rick have you used that timer before? I am looking to get one and would prefer to go on someones recommendation.

Yup, I have Terry... this'll be my third year with the hose timer and my second with the rain sensor. Got both at Home Depot. There may be cheaper or fancier options out there, but it does what I need. Hope that helps.

Wow! you've been busy!

The plots look great and should serve you well this season for sure!

Good luck with those nice looking babies this season!

A note to Chuck: till the goodies in after the season so they mature for next spring. It's made a major difference this year for me.

Devv said:
Wow! you've been busy!

The plots look great and should serve you well this season for sure!

Good luck with those nice looking babies this season!

A note to Chuck: till the goodies in after the season so they mature for next spring. It's made a major difference this year for me.

Cheers Scott! I hope you have things dialed in now too!

Some of the Gochus have gotten big enough to send outside to harden off. I've gotta finish setting up the raised bed out in the back yard to do that and finish putting the raised bed frames together. I won't have enough lumber for 5 raised beds in the community garden but I'll take it as far as I can today and top them off with compost after I've backfilled.

The Gochus
gallery_5842_195_1021823.jpg

Pequins are trying to catch up as quickly as they can.
gallery_5842_195_916201.jpg

That's all for now folks... have a great (and productive) weekend!

Whoa ... You've been very busy. Finally catched up on your glog and everything looks cool. Nice looking plants and I love the garden and the raised beds. Keep it up, good luck and keep us posted.

tsurrie said:
Whoa ... You've been very busy. Finally catched up on your glog and everything looks cool. Nice looking plants and I love the garden and the raised beds. Keep it up, good luck and keep us posted.

Devv said:
+1 on 87! :party:

Cheers guys! I've certainly been busy today... got 2 more raised beds knocked together and started vole-proofing the valve box I use for my garden water. The little bastiges tunneled into it and were using it like a bunker, so I dug it out again, put down a piece of plate aluminum underneath and piled crushed stone on top of that. When I get the top of the box back up to ground level I'll backfill with more stone.

New raised beds
gallery_5842_195_533354.jpg

I think I have enough lumber for one more raised bed but it ain't gonna look pretty...
gallery_5842_195_953518.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
Beds look great Rick. What are Gochus Rick?

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

Hi guys! They're Korean Annuums. I think they started out as Cayennes brought to Korea by Portuguese traders, and centuries of selective breeding gave them a unique flavor signature. They have medium heat like a Cayenne, but when sun-dried have an earthy, sweet flavor like Hungarian Paprika. In Korea, they're dried, and ground or flaked (Gochugaru) or made into a pepper paste (with a layered combination of flavors) called Gochujang. Both are fairly easy to find in Asian markets, but beware of Chinese imitations. They're not the same thing. Also, if you try storebought kimchi, it's almost inevitably old and sour in my experience. New-made kimchi is effervescent on the tongue and has a decent tang without being off-putting. Looking for Gochu seeds so I could grow my own is what led me to the THP website.

Cheers D! :)

It's been a chilly, blustery spring day today, and I got the fourth raised bed frame finished before I ran out of lumber. I'll see if I can scrounge up enough to finish the job during the week, but if not, I'll just plant the space as it is and probably put the root crops there.
gallery_5842_195_750768.jpg

I dug up the valve box on my garden plot yesterday and armored it against Voles today... I laid down quarter-inch hardware cloth on the bottom of the box and partway up the sides before putting crushed stone on top of that, making sure the stone pushed the wire tightly against the sides. I covered the side openings with more hardware cloth before backfilling, so hopefully that'll keep the little perishers out of there.
gallery_5842_195_621603.jpg

It's gonna be too cold tonight to put the seedlings out in the low row cover to begin hardening off, so I'll finish setting it up when the overnight lows get back up into the 40s. Man! This spring has been crazy... the cold goes away for a while, then comes back... :rolleyes:

Devv said:
Yes! I have to agree beds are stellar!

I know that;s a load of work! But the rewards will be there for sure.

Good luck with them ;)

Thanks Scott! I'll settle for keeping the little :censored: out of the garden! I'm also hoping it'll help the planting area thaw out a little sooner next spring.

Pequin's are looking good Rick. I had a problem trying to get Chiltepin and Sadabahar to germ this year. I ended up buying Chiltepin at the nursery and got 1 Sad to grow. That's my pride and joy this year. Love that pepper. I bought new seeds after the first attempt didnt work. I think there seeds are old. Need to save some fresh seed stock. There hard to come by.

Can't wait to see those beds full.

I have some Aji Pinapple plants. If you want a couple, I'll send them out.

Thanks for the Gochus info. Sounds interesting.

Raised beds are really coming along. Looks great. Your plants are coming along nicely as well.

I expect we'll see everything in the ground in the next week or so?

OCD Chilehead said:
Pequin's are looking good Rick. I had a problem trying to get Chiltepin and Sadabahar to germ this year. I ended up buying Chiltepin at the nursery and got 1 Sad to grow. That's my pride and joy this year. Love that pepper. I bought new seeds after the first attempt didnt work. I think there seeds are old. Need to save some fresh seed stock. There hard to come by.

Can't wait to see those beds full.

I have some Aji Pinapple plants. If you want a couple, I'll send them out.

Thanks for the Gochus info. Sounds interesting.

Wow... only one seed out of the whole packet? That's probably what my average looks likes with the Pequins too. My seed was 3 years old, so maybe that accounted for some of it. I should have plenty of fresh seeds from them at the end of this season.

It's supposed to be pretty warm here during the day for the next week, but the nights are chilly... low 40s. That should change after this coming weekend though. If we get overnight lows forecast to consistently stay in the 50s next week, I'll get everything I have started outside under the low row cover to harden off and transplant to their permanent homes the weekend following.

I checked out Nigel's Aji Pineapple review, and it sounds like a great pepper. Wanna do a swap? Two Pequins for two Aji Pineapples?

Jeff H said:
Raised beds are really coming along. Looks great. Your plants are coming along nicely as well.

I expect we'll see everything in the ground in the next week or so?

Cheers Jeff! Like I was telling Chuck... it looks like hardening off next week and transplanting that weekend. :party:

Back