• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2017 Minimalist Glog

Blitz527 said:
Thanks for sharing the video, that is one of the coolest things I have seen. I will be sure to get a couple for next year. Who knew that it would "naturally" prune the roots. you learn something new every day.... Food for thought. Would I be able to somewhat copy this effect if I did this with my solo cups I am using this year?...... More air flow=more aeration which in turn lets the soil breathe and dry faster so it doesn't sit too long being wet. Im sure the textured sides help a bit with the direction of growth but I wonder if i can somewhat replicate it.....

I haven't tried it myself, but I know other folks on THP have, and posted the results on their glogs. Good luck with your experiment! Post pics if you do it. :)

What I want to know right now is... Who ordered this :censored:  SNOW!    We just got rid of the last batch and there's more this morning.. really heavy, wet stuff too. Hopefully it's Winter's last gasp. :pray:
SANY2020.JPG

Plant look good Rick. Never heard of the Oro. Is it a sweet heat pod?

What's up with the white stuff?

It's suppose to be Spring damn it!

We just got hit with a storm. No white stuff at my house, but the surrounding mountains got hit. Going to hit 25 for the low next week with forecast of snow showers. The tulips are up and blooming as well as all the fruit trees. Heck my lilac is blooming this week. That one day will freeze all the blossom on the fruit trees. ☹️

OCD Chilehead said:
Plant look good Rick. Never heard of the Oro. Is it a sweet heat pod?

What's up with the white stuff?

It's suppose to be Spring damn it!

We just got hit with a storm. No white stuff at my house, but the surrounding mountains got hit. Going to hit 25 for the low next week with forecast of snow showers. The tulips are up and blooming as well as all the fruit trees. Heck my lilac is blooming this week. That one day will freeze all the blossom on the fruit trees. ☹️

I really don't have a strong memory for the flavor and heat of the pods that I was gifted with last year Chuck. The only other Pubiscens variety I've grown is the Manzano. That one was sweet-ish, with a flavor that reminded me of apricots and black beans, and roughly comparable heat to a Habanero. Judy says the Aji Oro is hot to very hot, but doesn't mention flavor. She does say that the plant is sturdy and short... only growing 12 - 18 inches tall and spreading to 20 - 30 inches wide, and will set fruit all summer regardless of growing conditions. The Manzano was very slow-growing, and was the last to set and ripen fruit of all my chiles, so I hope this new variety kicks up the pace a few notches. :)

I guess I can't honestly complain about the weather here. The snowy conditions in early spring happen more often than not. The last few years were exceptions, and I guess I'd hoped they'd continue. The extended forecast has daytime high temperatures in the upper 40s to upper 50s with occasional climbs to the 60s. Night-time lows are mostly in the mid 30s to mid 40s, with the occasional dip to at or just below freezing. If things continue as forecast, I probably won't get the plants outside to harden off until the 3rd week in April... we'll just have to see. Crazy that you're getting tulips, lilacs and fruit tree blossoms now. That'll be us in early May.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA I hear ya on the snow, we finally have a decent day, it is 55//60 out today, did a roof this morning, went for a little ride, now time to do my Glog update. I think we are finally done with the snow........ *****Fingers crossed*****...

az1000 said:
Nice plant!
Aji Oro was my best Pubescens last year.

Cheers Nicolau! It's looking good so far, and I'm hoping for the best.

Blitz527 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA I hear ya on the snow, we finally have a decent day, it is 55//60 out today, did a roof this morning, went for a little ride, now time to do my Glog update. I think we are finally done with the snow........ *****Fingers crossed*****...
I'll drink to that Alex!

Hi Folks, it feels great to be in the first week of April with the hardening-off target date getting close! :dance:

The Chiles upstairs are asking when they can finally go outside and really stretch out.

The Douglahs
SANY2034.JPG

Two largest Forbing Nagas
SANY2033.JPG

MoA Bonnets
SANY2032.JPG

Papa Dreadie Select Bonnets
SANY2031.JPG

Giant Yellow CARDI Scorpion
SANY2030.JPG

Randy's Bhut/Scorpion Cross
SANY2029.JPG

The Piment Cabri is really coming into its own
SANY2028.JPG
\

I pinched a couple of the mature lower leaves on the Aji Oro to let more light into the axillary growth in the understory.
SANY2026.JPG

Sweet Peppers are working on their second set of true leaves.
SANY2040.JPG

Eggplants trying to beef up
SANY2037.JPG

That's all for now... have a great week all!

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
All looking very good! I can hear the dirt holding its breath in anticipation!

Cheers Nev! I suppose I can't hurry Spring by threatening to hold my breath 'til I turn blue? ;)

Datil said:
Looking great Rick!
Your Forbing Naga look identical to mine and all the 3-4 i've sprouted produced identical seedlings so far... seems funnily consistent for an off-pheno of an instable cross :D (btw... where's Gary gone???)

Be well

Fab

Cheers Fabrizio! That is kinda funny now you mention it... I'm hoping for great things from them. :)

I don't know how things are for Gary now. I dropped him a pm... hopefully he's just busy.

Thanks for sharing the video about the air pots Rick , very imformative and great results, one of our growers over here started using them last season with superb results.
There a pretty good price over here for sizes ideal for peppers. :dance:
Your chugging along nicely buddy , love the Aji Oro , star player for sure. P.Dreadie looking very healthy and growing nicely now.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i hate the white stuff , hope it melts quickly as you approach dirt day. ;)

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Rick!

Thanks Chuck, I hope to prove worthy. :)

Superhot Sim said:
Thanks for sharing the video about the air pots Rick , very imformative and great results, one of our growers over here started using them last season with superb results.
There a pretty good price over here for sizes ideal for peppers. :dance:
Your chugging along nicely buddy , love the Aji Oro , star player for sure. P.Dreadie looking very healthy and growing nicely now.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i hate the white stuff , hope it melts quickly as you approach dirt day. ;)

Cheers Sim... Thumbs up all the way! :thumbsup:

Devv said:
Rick, ALL the plants are looking fantastic!

Riding on rails to a killer grow!

The heck with the white litter, glad I only see it in pics ;)

The Aji Oro looks really healthy, and I can't wait to try the pods!

Keep it green buddy!

Cheers Scott!

The wife is away singing with her buddies... time for some "comfort food" Rick-style. :drooling:
It's a bowl of Shin Ramyun with julienned carrot, scallion and celery cut on a bias, a handful of mature kimchi, gochujang, doenjang (Korean miso), Bhut oil, toasted sesame oil, a small can of tuna and a handful of shredded Monterey Jack cheese. See if this doesn't warm the cockles of your heart!
SANY2044.JPG

OCD Chilehead said:
That soup looks killer.

Especially since I've been out in the cold working alll day.

I'm eating a salad. Yuck!
Gotta stay on track an lose a few more pounds.

A bowl of pho this weekend. Healthier than menudo.

I hear ya Chuck... When things warm up a bit more here I'll be doing the same. Love the Pho! You're giving me ideas for the weekend. :drooling:

Damn, Rick! That's a nice jazzing up of some Shin Ramyum. Have you tried the Neoguri? (also made by Nong Shim). We were buying the Shin Ramyum but have pretty much discarded it for the Neoguri.

RaelThomas said:
Damn, Rick! That's a nice jazzing up of some Shin Ramyum. Have you tried the Neoguri? (also made by Nong Shim). We were buying the Shin Ramyum but have pretty much discarded it for the Neoguri.

No, I haven't tried Neoguri yet Rael, but I will now on your recommendation. :)

randyp said:
Rick after reading thru spicey chickens glog and seeing your progress I am tinkering with a full out strip and top on my bed plants.I plant out in 3-4 weeks.Do you think it gives enough time for this idea.?

Looking back on Jeff's 2014 glog, I see he sowed his seeds about February 14th figuring 12 weeks to transplanting outside. At 4 weeks he transplanted his seedlings to 3.5 x 3.5 inch pots. At 5 weeks his seedlings had grown out at least 5 nodes. At 6 weeks he cropped his seedlings. At 8 weeks he cut the feeder leaves he'd originally left intact when he cropped his seedlings. At 11 weeks he hardened off, and at 12 weeks he transplanted in the ground probably a week or two after his last frost date. I don't usually go by the published "last frost date"... I watch the overnight low temperatures in the extended forecast, and when we get 10 days of uninterrupted lows in the 40s, that's when I harden off and transplant a week later. Of course I hedge my bets and set up the IRT plastic mulch beforehand to begin warming the soil, and I set up a low row cover over it to harden off in, and then to transplant into. Hope this helps...

Back