• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

STOGIES, VITOLAS, CIGARS oh MY!

I've recently developed a deep interest in cigars. They have a rich historic background. I've thoroughly been enjoying all the unique experiences each one gives. So many different ways to enjoy them. 

So who else gets down with the brown?? Discuss!   

-Any recommendations? (Maker, Name, description, price point?)

-What do you love about them?

-When do you enjoy having one the most?

-What's your favorite size?

-Anything and everything else you might want to share.

perdomo habano maduros (the habanitos)

I picked these up when I was in Miami on Calle 8 with Sum.  I bought them because my friend's last name is Perdomo, and the tin looked cool.  I found I rather enjoyed them and tried some other varieties.  But I like these ones the best.  I like the Habanitos cause I don't really smoke and its just enough for lil ole me.  

111401_0.jpg

Nice Sam! I'm down with Maduros. I like medium to full bodied cigars. I like a lot of complexity. Try a Tatuaje Brown Label Noellas, I think you'd dig them.

I like Nate Sherman Timeless collection - Dominican Hermoso or Nicaraguan 660 or 652T - Nice full body cigars medium cigars. from their site   "THE NAT SHERMAN TIMELESS COLLECTION (DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - MATASA) IS A FULL-BODIED, MEDIUM-STRENGTH BLEND OF TOBACCOS FROM THREE COUNTRIES.THE DOMINICAN AND NICARAGUAN FILLERS OFFER RICH NOTES OF ESPRESSO AND ROASTED NUTS, WHILE THE HONDURAN WRAPPER IS CHARACTERIZED BY AN EARTHINESS THAT IS ROUNDED OUT BY SUBTLE SWEET NOTES ON THE FINISH."  
I was very much into Gloria Cubana Serie R's for a long time then the quality began to be "different" and I had found the Roller had changed companies and went to Nate Sherman now I specifically look for these. Otherwise A Fuentes - Don Carlos collection Double Robusto or Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra. Of course gotta love the best binders and wrappers grown from CT! :cool: I like a fairly large ring size between 50-55 and smoke when relaxing with a nice glass of Gentleman Jack on the rocks or relaxing while cooking dinner. 

Enjoy

impending_bending said:
Give Arturo Fuente OpusX or anejo if you can get your hands on them. 

I'm a big fan of Arturo Fuente but haven't had the chance to try the Opus X
LUCKYDOG said:
I like Nate Sherman Timeless collection - Dominican Hermoso or Nicaraguan 660 or 652T - Nice full body cigars medium cigars. from their site   "THE NAT SHERMAN TIMELESS COLLECTION (DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - MATASA) IS A FULL-BODIED, MEDIUM-STRENGTH BLEND OF TOBACCOS FROM THREE COUNTRIES.THE DOMINICAN AND NICARAGUAN FILLERS OFFER RICH NOTES OF ESPRESSO AND ROASTED NUTS, WHILE THE HONDURAN WRAPPER IS CHARACTERIZED BY AN EARTHINESS THAT IS ROUNDED OUT BY SUBTLE SWEET NOTES ON THE FINISH."  
I was very much into Gloria Cubana Serie R's for a long time then the quality began to be "different" and I had found the Roller had changed companies and went to Nate Sherman now I specifically look for these. Otherwise A Fuentes - Don Carlos collection Double Robusto or Hoyo De Monterrey Dark Sumatra. Of course gotta love the best binders and wrappers grown from CT! :cool: I like a fairly large ring size between 50-55 and smoke when relaxing with a nice glass of Gentleman Jack on the rocks or relaxing while cooking dinner. 

Enjoy
yes, following the blender is a great way to find other cigars that you will like. If they switch blenders/rollers, you will notice. I've never tried anything from Nate Sherman, Gloria Cubana is on my list as well. 

Dark Sumatra....sounds right down my alley brother. 

I will have to look into these different cigars and see what they're all about. I've been working through some of the boutique makers, straying away from any of the big brands for now. (Ex; Punch, Romo Juliet, Macanudo)

Gotta love them big ringed bastards! I usually smoke robusto- toro size. I enjoy the multiple layers of flavor they give you in the bigger cigars. Sometimes they are a beast to finish but I can't leave a cigar unfinished...unless it's a piece of crap lol.

Also try Cohiba. There are two different companies with the same name. The red and black labeled ones that you can get in the USA are Dominican. The yellow/gold and black labeled ones are Cuban, so of course you can't buy them in shops here. Both are very good. 
As for the Arturo Fuente, if you look for "anejo" in late fall usually you might be able to get some. You might have to ask specifically for them though. They are fantastic. 
Also give Padron a try. They have cigars of all prices but I don't think any of them are bad. 

Haven't had a good cigar in a while, daughters got all concerned about my enjoying them and asked me to stop so I did. I used to enjoy them with a good Scotch, Anejo Rum or Tequilla. They just seemed to complement each other. Mostly I liked the Maduro's at a 45 to 50 ring gauge. As for favorite's The Rocky Patel - The Edge Maduro was a favorite for years. I could get 3 for $10.00 and were a good consistent smoke. Other's I've enjoyed have been made by Cohiba, Ashton and Arturo Fuente. I stuck mostly to Dominican bands. CAO, out of Nashville, TN came out with a "The Sopranos"  cigar that wasn't bad. I had to go to a company "Mandatory Fun" dinner once and wasn't really expecting much except a boring speech by the CEO. As I walked in, looking for my place card, there in each plate was a Davidoff  Double R. Think I left that night with about 30 of them in my pocket and those who didn't smoke gave them to me. Yeah, that was fun :)

During the 90s, I was really into cigars.  I got into it my last year in college, just before they started getting super trendy.  I bought many singles from cigar shops, but mostly boxes from JR Cigar.  Back then, they had a forum (like this) which told you the real brands which were re-labeled under their Consuegra (Connie) label as factory 2nds.  I went through tons of El Rey Del Mundos, Hoyos, Belindas, etc. But they were young cigars, so I build many tupperdores (tupperware lined with cigar box cedar with humidifier), and aged them for years before smoking. By 2000, I slowed way down and now only smoke a few each year while outside.  For some reason, they just don't taste as good to my 44 year-old taste buds.

One thing you have to realize is that cigars are like wine.  What was good last year, may be crap this year.  They're a natural product.  Some are great, but the next can draw tight and be harsh.  I learned to stick with corona/toro-ish sizes, because larger varieties tend to more inconsistent.  Once you read a good review about a cigar in a magazine, it's too late to buy them - as they are now probably using different tobacco vintages.  The aging environment is a big factor.  Also, way too many crappy producers got into the game, diluting the product and making it difficult to find consistently good products.  Plus, taxation got out of hand.  I used to purchase Macanudo Hyde Parks, Arturo Fuente Hemingways, Henry Clay Brevas Las Conservas for about 2 bucks each.  Now, you're lucky to find them for $10! To me, that's insane for a product that may be crap. I don't even recognize most of the fake-old school brands in the shops today. In many cases, investors bought the old names, or made up some cheesy names, bought some tobacco or simply slapped a label on an existing cigar and are in-business. I find the younger dudes working in my local cigar shops are full of shiite too.

yes, I've seen this too hottoddy. I've also seen it go the other way and gotten great quality and consistency for a good price. Most times you've got to surf through the mix to find the deals. 

Either way, that's part of the fun for me lol. everything costs money and too much of it. So I don't care too much about it. 

My personal favorite go back to again and again cigar of prime excellence:  Arturo Fuente 858 maduro.   Last got them at the Binny's on Randall s of 62. Around $8 IRRC.

I spent several years in a tobacco shop as an assistant.  Fuente, Macanudo, Davidoff, Cohiba, Hoya - those guys still put out pretty consistently good products - albeit they go for far more than they used to.  I don't go through more than 4 or 5 in a year though so its easy to justify for me.  Were I smoking more often I'd step down to Punch. They're still cheap enough and are underrated.    

I really like Tatuaje cigars too. The 2011 & 2012 TAA series were great.
I also really rate RoMa Craft, they do the Cromagnon and Aqitaine lines. Great strong smokes.
Another (when you can get your hands on them) is the Liga Privada line from Drew Estate. I love the Unico stuff, and the T52.

But when I all comes down to it... I love Cubans the most.

SmokenFire said:
My personal favorite go back to again and again cigar of prime excellence:  Arturo Fuente 858 maduro.   Last got them at the Binny's on Randall s of 62. Around $8 IRRC.

I spent several years in a tobacco shop as an assistant.  Fuente, Macanudo, Davidoff, Cohiba, Hoya - those guys still put out pretty consistently good products - albeit they go for far more than they used to.  I don't go through more than 4 or 5 in a year though so its easy to justify for me.  Were I smoking more often I'd step down to Punch. They're still cheap enough and are underrated.

I've really enjoyed the Fuente's. Yeah, the freakin' stories cost a few shinny pennies don't they...I've been buying a lot of the "seconds" they're cheaper and great daily smokes.

I've just started so I'm pretty much trying to smoke a different cigar every time. I came across an amazing little cigar made by La Mia. It I was in a 2011 Vs 2012 Cigar Aficionado #1 pack. They came with two "extras" along side.
AussieMitch said:
I really like Tatuaje cigars too. The 2011 & 2012 TAA series were great. I also really rate RoMa Craft, they do the Cromagnon and Aqitaine lines. Great strong smokes. Another (when you can get your hands on them) is the Liga Privada line from Drew Estate. I love the Unico stuff, and the T52.But when I all comes down to it... I love Cubans the most.

Tatuaje's are delicious...ive been meaning to pick up a box but my wallet tells me otherwise for now. I've heard a lot of good things about the Ligas, I haven't even attempted to get my hands on any authentic Cubans yet.

For me it's

Best all around Cuban - Bolivar Belicosos Fino

Best all around State side- Tatuaje La Riqueza #4 Robusto (let them sit 4 to 6 months and they will taste as good as any cuban.)

Back