• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Store Pepper Score: An Orange Serrano?

QuadShotz

Banned
At my Food Outlet I get these bags of Jalapenos and Serranos for super cheap...like $2.50 a bag.

But this one had a happy little surprise buried inside.

S6301713.JPG

S6301722.JPG

I know, it's not a big deal..but around here it's a neat surprise. :)

Weirder because it's very orange. Not green, not red, but orange.

-QS

Hahaha!

I'm just happy also to have viable seed..I've never even seen a ripe serrano around here b4.

n1 IGG... ;)

I smooshified one of 'em today for a sammich and was tasty.
Hell, at 2.50/lb..I can't lose.

Ya should see the fantastic red bell peppers I got there for .50 ea. ;)

I spent $140 on groceries...and saved 73.00. Filled a car. (i rock)

Thx all,

-QS

Congrats on the score...I've not had any serrano's...do tell....how r they?

QuadShotz said:
Hahaha!

I'm just happy also to have viable seed..I've never even seen a ripe serrano around here b4.

n1 IGG... ;)

I smooshified one of 'em today for a sammich and was tasty.
Hell, at 2.50/lb..I can't lose.

Ya should see the fantastic red bell peppers I got there for .50 ea. ;)

I spent $140 on groceries...and saved 73.00. Filled a car. (i rock)

Thx all,

-QS

I find serranos at Wal Mart here often and occasionally there are a few orange ones mixed in. Never seen a red one though.

BigDogDaddy said:
Congrats on the score...I've not had any serrano's...do tell....how r they?

QuadShotz said:
Basically, it's a hotter Jalapeno.

ditto! & a tastier clean heat vs a jalapeno, IMO

JayT said:
I find serranos at Wal Mart here often and occasionally there are a few orange ones mixed in. Never seen a red one though.

same here, seems like only walmart sells them (mostly green)

quad - congrats on your find, getting some chiles for a good price is always good :cool:
as for keeping the seeds from the orange pod :think: you dont know if the pod turned orange after it was picked inside the bag.
& would the seeds be any good in the orange stage ? since red is ripe, just a question to be addressed.

chilehunter said:
quad - congrats on your find, getting some chiles for a good price is always good :cool:
as for keeping the seeds from the orange pod :think: you dont know if the pod turned orange after it was picked inside the bag.
& would the seeds be any good in the orange stage ? since red is ripe, just a question to be addressed.

Thanks!

IDK about the turning bit, as they were refrigerated until I got them home. Since then I've put the lot into a paper bag and one other pepper that just had a hint of orange on it has turned nearly all orange.

But neither have gotten red. Just that dull orangey color.

Either way, they taste good. :)

-QS

I wish I could find sth like that in stores or on markets over here, but all I get are some Cayenne type peppers and mixed packs of habs, jalapenos and the aforementioned cayennes. If I'm lucky, there's a Scotch Bonnet in the pack. In other words: congrats, great find!

bought a dehydrator off of craigslist today for 20 bux...drying out some thai hots....and some tabasco's tonight. They are gonna be powder 2 mar OH!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to sprinklin that stuff on everything except for cereal....woo HOO!!!!!!:mouthonfire::hell::mouthonfire:

hey quad....you've never seen a ripe one around on the east side of the mountains?......do you grow? red serranos are one of my favorites to just slowly nibble away on while doing projects or at work. they are pretty used to seeing me walk up to work with a pod in my mouth..."one or more a day keeps the nasties away" i've never really noticed them being orange though. i wait until they turn red on the plant before snatching off. they are soooo much more sweeter than when green. maybe next year you'll get some seeds and try you own production line---enjoy what ya got--bob

No, never seen ripe pods here, always green. I get nice habs tho.

Most of our pods coem from OR or ID it seems.

I am growing now, but learned to let them ripen in a paper bag.

Turned out good..3-4 more ripened up b4 I had to put in fridge cus of they were gonna be shriveling.

texas bob said:
hey quad....you've never seen a ripe one around on the east side of the mountains?

hey, from what I was taught (& know) washington state is on the west side of the mtns (rockies) :P
unless earth flipped on its axis just recently ? :lol:

chilehunter said:
hey, from what I was taught (& know) washington state is on the west side of the mtns (rockies) :P
unless earth flipped on its axis just recently ? :lol:

http://geology.com/state-map/washington.shtml

Nah mate, I'm just in Spokane on the East side...folks tend to forget we exist over here. Even if we are around a 1/4 Million peeps. ;)

"Other Side of The Mountain" means in comparison from Seattle/Western WA.

Wrong mountain range...we have the Cascade Range. ;-D

Back