• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Storing defrosted peppers for daily consumption

I purchased fresh, multiple, extremely hot peppers a month ago. Cleaned them and froze them in vacuum bags. Now I want to keep some available for eating everyday. So I defrosted one of the bags (about 1 cup) and diced them up, and put them in a glass mason jar in the refrigerator. I am wondering what I should put in the jar with them to make them last a week or two. I was thinking apple cider vinegar, and some salt? What say you? Thanks! 

dragonsfire said:
Yup, Ive used 25% ratio and its lasted a year.
Sorry for off topic question, but can you recommend disposable ph strip brand/manufacturer? I have electric one, but batteries leaked...

I don't add vinegar because it, obviously, changes the flavor.

Open one of the bags, take out what you need, put the rest in a ziploc bag and keep freezing. If you're going to use them all in a few weeks, that means, your long term are vacuumed, your short term are not but still frozen which is just fine. I do it all the time, even long term!

The Hot Pepper said:

Open one of the bags, take out what you need, put the rest in a ziploc bag and keep freezing. If you're going to use them all in a few weeks, that means, your long term are vacuumed, your short term are not but still frozen which is just fine. I do it all the time, even long term!

Pretty much came to say this.

I vacuum seal mine right back up since the foodsaver is quick. The bag just gets smaller and I cut it open, take some out and reseal them.

Another tip is- if you use the peppers diced after they have been frozen, which is usually the case with frozen peppers...run fresh peppers through a food processor to desired consistency, then freeze in flat zipper bags. Easy to break off what is needed without defrosting, throw it back in the freeze.

The Hot Pepper said:
And eat it like brittle! 
:lol:

Although...that could be the idea for a new product......frozen hot sauce....use it like ice cubes in the bloody mary, snack on it like brittle..... :think:

salsalady said:
Another tip is- if you use the peppers diced after they have been frozen, which is usually the case with frozen peppers...run fresh peppers through a food processor to desired consistency, then freeze in flat zipper bags. Easy to break off what is needed without defrosting, throw it back in the freeze.

Or even if you freeze them bulk, you can take the "pepper ball" , slice what you need, and put back in the freezer. Well, depending on how deep are they frozen.... If your freezer is extreme, then better freeze them flat. My wife use to freeze dill and other herbs, and when she need some, she cut what she need and put back the bag.

The Hot Pepper said:

Good Feedback! Thanks! Just what I needed.

Wow, Thank You All for so much great feedback and information from like minded hot heads! Love to you all. Good to know so many other pepper freaks out there! That and my hot peppers will keep me warm all winter!

I have been defrosting small bags of my frozen peppers, enough to finish in a month or so, if not sooner, and storing them in the fridge in a glass jar, with around 25% vinegar. But now I'm getting tired of the vinegar taste, smell, etc. Any suggestions for alternative fridge storage methods that require less / no vinegar?? Thanks All! 

Back