• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Storing defrosted peppers for daily consumption

If it's that short of a period I would make a relish type with a little oil garlic and spices and salt...

You could use a few sweet peppers, small onion, garlic and a bit of ginger... steam for about 15 mins then let cool to room temp place in blender with olive oil, salt, pepper and a few spices of your choice ie Paprica Cumin...Enjoy the tasty sauce cheers!

When using salt use sea or kosher

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks Bookers! Just what I was looking for. It was in my brain already, but I just couldn't find it! And you helped me find it, right besides my marbles! : ) Happy Burning my Friend!

I like storing foods in glass containers, but my mason style jars use a hard plastic lid that replaces the regular canning lids (not reusable). Problem is while them seem to fit "okay", I actually found they are not air tight. And I don't want any air getting in my hot sauce which could lead to earlier spoilage. So I purchased a stainless bowl that has a very tight and strong flexible plastic lid. It does not leak at all. Question is, is the stainless and hard plastic container okay for the hot stuff. I've heard some acidic foods react with stainless. What's you opinion? Thanks! 

Im not sure about the stainless. I do believe the metal can be porous. I reuse jars spaghetti sauce, plastic bottles etc. I sometimes go to a restaurant store and buy bottles or plastic squeeze bottles reasonably priced...

Stainless steel is the benchmark for nonreactive.  It is used for all commercial cooking applications, steam kettles, chafing pans, stock pots, you name it....  Copper, aluminum, iron, chipped enamel are all Not Good for sauces, which are almost always acidic.  Stainless will not react with heated foods or acidic foods, be it vinegary hot sauce or tomato sauce.   

Glass pans are good for small batch cooking, but they do not scale up larger than a quart or 2.  Glass containers are good for long terms storage, based as robanero commented on, their lids. 

For storage containers, SS bowl with a plastic lid is fine.  The plastic lid is not in contact with the food, most likely.  Some 'recycled' plastic bottles(most bottles...likely) will leach stuff out if they are not specifically designed for long term food storage for acidic foods.  Use your own best judgement for re-using plastic containers maybe not intended for acidic food.  For brief times like leftover for a day or two, it's probably fine.  Long term storage or freezer storage, might want to consider something intended for that.

jmho~
SL 

Hey Bookers, Another question. Regarding your post:

"Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:47 PM

"If it's that short of a period I would make a relish type with a little oil garlic and spices and salt...
You could use a few sweet peppers, small onion, garlic and a bit of ginger... steam for about 15 mins then let cool to room temp place in blender with olive oil, salt, pepper and a few spices of your choice ie Paprica Cumin...Enjoy the tasty sauce cheers! When using salt use sea or kosher"

I am making another batch now, but want to add maybe some molassas or dates. Would the sugar content make it spoil faster in the fridge? I'll probably use it all in 3-4 weeks easy. Thanks again. I been using your suggestion above with good results!

Hasn't for me. As I use fruit ie. Mango sometimes citrus honey. Im glad you're having fun with it. Some say 2-4% salt for preservation... also if the ph is below 4-5

Btw I don't have it down to a science. I prob could keep some of mine on the table vs the fridge but I don't...I guess just to be safe. I do if I use straight OOil or ferment. I have had batches in fridge almost a year... cheers

Back