• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strange ailment

I have a Lg Peach bhut that has suddenly wilted as can be seen in the pic encl.

only one other plant exhibited symptoms even close to this but I believe it was due to a hail strike last week. there was significant bruising where the stem failed. here there is no such visual signs.

20150614_151143.jpg

That is not uncommon after hail, but I'd recommend keeping a close eye on them in case something else is going on. There are a variety of things that can cause wilting, like bacterial and fungal wilts. Hopefully it's just the hail.

I just found Yaki Brown looking very much like that tonight.  I though maybe its drowning.  Has been raining everyday and its in the wettest least sunny spot of the garden.  Its only the top third or so of the tallest main branch so far.  The peppers next to it still look ok at this point.

P2015.06.14-14.46.22-392015938-238849_zps1fbwdaqd.jpg

I found the problem. I topped it and noticed some browning inside the hollowed out stalk. further down I discovered the entry hole. he's done.

20150614_200347.jpg

I know the top was pretty wilted but I took the remaining good part and threw it in the cloner. I dont have a ridiculous expectation but I have to have some form of boundaries to know my limitations.

Wow! I'm glad you topped it and figured it out. No more stress. A fee months back a rat topped my 8 pot yellow in half. I was pissed, anyways I throughout the top in a cup of water and two weeks later It's go a good root system. Now I have another plant.

Reminds me of the squash vine borers I had last year. They totally destroyed the insides of 4 zucchini plants before I even noticed a problem. Opted for bug b gone this year

Suezotiger said:
Reminds me of the squash vine borers I had last year. They totally destroyed the insides of 4 zucchini plants before I even noticed a problem. Opted for bug b gone this year
BT is the only way to go with vine borers, trust me on that.

Back