• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Strange Family Food Traditions

Scorched said:
My grandmother makes this "salad" with shredded raw carrots, raisins, little bit of sugar and mix it all together with good ole mayo.......do not like at all. Still remember having to eat it as a kid and she still makes it once and awhile to this day.
My in laws make the salad with
shredded carrots
sugar free lime jello and whipped cream.

Its not bad.....but they absolutely love it!!!!

I grew up eating mashed potatoes with a heavy amount of butter, then home made applesauce on top of it all.

From the German side of my lineage.

My family also makes some sort of fruit salad with whipped cream and 3 musketeers. Also from the German side.

slade122 said:
I grew up eating mashed potatoes with a heavy amount of butter, then home made applesauce on top of it all.

From the German side of my lineage.

My family also makes some sort of fruit salad with whipped cream and 3 musketeers. Also from the German side.
Wow, an applesauce topper. I have to say, that 3 Musketeers salad doesn't exactly sound German, certainly not old school German. Just sayin'..

JayT said:
The weird shit-o-meter is going off big time right now.  I am trying to come up with something to add.  
X2

Best I've got is that we used to "hot pot" semi-regularly - hours of prepping veggies & slicing chicken & steak then the family sat around with wire baskets cooking it all a couple bits at a time in an electric wok filled with chicken broth.

Not weird and probably not that uncommon, but I didn't know any other family that did it. Then again not very other family had cool Asian neighbors who gave them an electric wok either.
;)

As for some of the recipes posted here, I struggled to keep my breffas down at times. The 1st one with the pears & mayo? Ew.

Not judging anyone, but ew.

Also the carrot/raisin slaw is really common. Much moreso in the 1970s when I was a kid. Seemed to be at every picnic or BBQ, on either coast.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
X2

Best I've got is that we used to "hot pot" semi-regularly - hours of prepping veggies & slicing chicken & steak then the family sat around with wire baskets cooking it all a couple bits at a time in an electric wok filled with chicken broth.

Not weird and probably not that uncommon, but I didn't know any other family that did it. Then again not very other family had cool Asian neighbors who gave them an electric wok either.
;)

As for some of the recipes posted here, I struggled to keep my breffas down at times. The 1st one with the pears & mayo? Ew.

Not judging anyone, but ew.

Also the carrot/raisin slaw is really common. Much moreso in the 1970s when I was a kid. Seemed to be at every picnic or BBQ, on either coast.

So, you boil the crap out of meat/veggie bits in chicken broth?  Wire baskets?  Did the family sit around a table, fondu style?  I'm trying to picture this!  Slightly weird. :P
ikeepfish said:
I developed my love for hot stuff at an early age because my dad would make something he called "Blazin Saddles".....it's "chili" with leftovers in the fridge and make it super spicy.  When I say leftovers I mean everything from spaghetti to Chinese food and cornbread. 

I'd try the pear thing, I'm an adventurous person :)

ew, I remember that stuff too, you see it at family reunions around here lol
 Ooh...Blazin Saddles sounds like flirting with a long night on the commode, if you make it in time.

ikeepfish said:
Not fondue.

That's cooking meat & bread and such in molten cheese. This is "hot pot".

Thin sliced marinated chicken & beef, veggies and shrimp - you take a couple of each, drop them into a wide wire basket & sorta simmer them in the hot chicken stock until cooked.

It's not boiling. - more simmering.

And it is delicious.

I just googled it - it's totally a thing. And it was my favorite family meal growing up. We did it at least a few times a month.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pot

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Not fondue.
That's cooking meat & bread and such in molten cheese. This is "hot pot".
Thin sliced marinated chicken & beef, veggies and shrimp - you take a couple of each, drop them into a wide wire basket & sorta simmer them in the hot chicken stock until cooked.
It's not boiling. - more simmering.
And it is delicious.
I just googled it - it's totally a thing. And it was my favorite family meal growing up. We did it at least a few times a month. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_pot
Yeah, that was a bad choice of a word on my part. I was just thinking of a small group of people sitting some kind of pot, sticking in skewers. Like I said, a bad comparison between fondue and your family tradition. Having said that, it's not strange in my book. I'd love to try it. Was there any particular beverage associated with it?

Not really - jasmine tea?

Apparently it's a 1000+ year old tradition originating with the mongols.

I feel lucky to have grown up with a culturally diverse neighborhood. ::cheers:

Back