• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Strange fatalii plant & my plants

This are probably cristate or fasciate growth - fairly common and actually desired (by some) in succulents http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3448/#b .  It's not completely understood why it occurs or what is actually causing it. Maybe more accurately is that some of these growths are known to be mutations, others caused by bacteria or viral infections, and others are other environmental causes, but that most are unknown. My guess is that this one is not really a mutation (genetic aberration) but a developmental malfunction in the apical meristem. However it would be really difficult to determine what the cause is. Usually these don't carry to the next generation.  The only way to keep something like this going is to propagate by cuttings. However if you do get seeds to form - and grow them out - and these show similar growth - that would likely mean it's genetic.

I have tomatoes that occasionally do this - usually the potato-leaved and very large types - but only near the end of a stem.  I've seen sunflowers and dandelions with this too.

Here's a wiki on this too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasciation

Hey guys,
Well the season is almost over here so I thought I'd post a couple of pics to show how this plant ended up!

SANY0102.jpg

SANY0097.jpg

SANY0099.jpg

SANY0100.jpg

rory said:
Pretty sure you can rule out Fatalii !!!Are you brave enough to taste the "pods" tho
I would happily taste it but I really don't want to cut it off! It's too pretty plus it might bite me!

Gargoyle91 said:
I have that same greenhouse in your 1st pic How do you control the Temp???? Mine was getting way to hot 

I live in the U.K thats the only temp control I need! haha. Seriously though, we had a few days of 30c this summer and I just opened both ends wide, luckily I get a breeze going through as the far end opens to the street. I'm guessing you get much hotter temps in ca?! I guess you could put something semi translucent over the roof to block some of the sun?

Oh man that's so ugly scared the bajesus out of my daughter when I showed her. Ha I bet if you tried some of the yellow flesh it would be spicy.

That is a seriously scary looking plant... in a cool way, maybe you should make some "Nosferatu" sauce out of it or something :P

Kind of pretty... in a really weird, messed  up, mutant sort of way.

Back