• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Strange Habanero

100_1700.jpg

So far i've had 3 pods ripen. My first i just popped straight into my mouth and chewed but the other 2 i sliced open. Both the ones i sliced open had secondary pods growing in them and i have no idea what is going on.

Is this normal?? Do i have a plant thats is growing mutants? The first pod that i ate whole was blisteringly hot even for a habanero, it literally exploded in my mouth with instant intense heat (much like a dorset naga). The 2 sliced open ones where more like a habanero should be - gradual increase in heat and hot.

I've noticed that many of the orange habs I buy at the local supermarket are growing secondary pods inside them like that. Don't know what causes it or how common it is and I have not been able to find any an definite effect on heat from it...

I've noticed that many of the orange habs I buy at the local supermarket are growing secondary pods inside them like that. Don't know what causes it or how common it is and I have not been able to find any an definite effect on heat from it...

The 2 with secondary pods where not as hot as the first, the first was also very juicy lol. The 2 with secondary pods where about as hot as i would have expected from a Habanero.

I will have to monitor the pods over the comming weeks to see if more have secondary pods.

It's an alien growth pod! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, maybe I'm too paranoid. This happens on occasion and is nothing to worry about. Just nature at its oddest...

What you have there is an example of Parthenocopy.

Parthenocopy is the formation of fruit without seeds. There are two types of parthenocopy recognized in plants. Vegetative parthenocopy happens where the fruit develops even though there has been no pollination. Stimulative parthenocopy takes place only after pollination but does not require fertilization or seed set for continued fruit growth.

Could have been hotter because your mouth hasn't adjusted to that specific combination of capsacinoids, usually the first whole pod of any individual species will be the hottest.
Not saying this is why, but it is a possibility. Even the milder peppers can affect you at times, and you never expect them to - makes it so interesting.

Back