• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Strawberry Mango Habanero Hot Sauce

I have two different recipes for this "summertime" sauce. One is for a fermented and the other for a cooked sauce.
I prefer the fermented recipe, but am very fond of both, as are several friends and family members  who I share it with all summer.
For those times when I need some on short notice,  I use the cooked recipe which is a little more tart, due to the vinegar.
(Note: I strongly recommend using Bragg's raw vinegar for eating, and save all the distilled stuff for cleaning your windows)
I've included both recipes. I hope its not too confusing to follow.

Ingredients
  1. 3/4 lb Fresh Habanero Peppers
  2. 1 lb Fresh Strawberries
  3. 1 TBS Celtic sea salt
  4.  (if fermenting) 2-3 TBS whey
  5. (or if cooking) 1-1/4 cup Braggs raw apple cider vinegar
  6.  (if fermenting) 3/4 Cup diced fresh mango
  7. (or if cooking) 3/4 cup mango Nectar
  8. 1-2 TBS Honey or Agave nectar
Instructions
  1. Wash ,remove stems and finely dice/chop the peppers
  2. (if cooking)Place them in a pot and add the 1 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and tablespoon of salt.  Cook on high for 7-8 minutes till the peppers are soft.
  3. (if fermenting) put the peppers,diced strawberries and mango,salt,whey and agave nectar in fermenting vessel and seal with an airlock for 3 to 4 days. Then puree, bottle and refrigerate.
  4. (if cooking) put cooked mixture into a blender, add a pound of fresh strawberries (no stems), 3/4 cup of mango nectar and 1 tablespoon of honey or agave nectar.  Puree until it is smooth.
  5. The heat level of the finished sauce can be adjusted by adding mango nectar  When finished, keep bottles in the refrigerator where it will keep for several weeks.
CM

Chili Monsta said:
 I have two different recipes for this "summertime" sauce. One is for a fermented and the other for a cooked sauce.
I prefer the fermented recipe, but am very fond of both, as are several friends and family members  who I share it with all summer.
For those times when I need some on short notice,  I use the cooked recipe which is a little more tart, due to the vinegar.
(Note: I strongly recommend using Bragg's raw vinegar for eating, and save all the distilled stuff for cleaning your windows)
I've included both recipes. I hope its not too confusing to follow.

Ingredients
  1. 3/4 lb Fresh Habanero Peppers
  2. 1 lb Fresh Strawberries
  3. 1 TBS Celtic sea salt
  4.  (if fermenting) 2-3 TBS whey
  5. (or if cooking) 1-1/4 cup Braggs raw apple cider vinegar
  6.  (if fermenting) 3/4 Cup diced fresh mango
  7. (or if cooking) 3/4 cup mango Nectar
  8. 1-2 TBS Honey or Agave nectar
Instructions
  1. Wash ,remove stems and finely dice/chop the peppers
  2. (if cooking)Place them in a pot and add the 1 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and tablespoon of salt.  Cook on high for 7-8 minutes till the peppers are soft.
  3. (if fermenting) put the peppers,diced strawberries and mango,salt,whey and agave nectar in fermenting vessel and seal with an airlock for 3 to 4 days. Then puree, bottle and refrigerate.
  4. (if cooking) put cooked mixture into a blender, add a pound of fresh strawberries (no stems), 3/4 cup of mango nectar and 1 tablespoon of honey or agave nectar.  Puree until it is smooth.
  5. The heat level of the finished sauce can be adjusted by adding mango nectar  When finished, keep bottles in the refrigerator where it will keep for several weeks.
CM

That sounds really good.  Quick question since i am fairly new to making hot sauces, is there any particular reason for not using fresh mango when cooking or is it just a convenience factor? 

Greetings parker49,
I like to use the fresh stuff when fermenting as it introduces more of the lacto bacteria to the ferment.
Through the number of batches I've made, I like the mango nectar when cooking the sauce as the sweetness seems to mellow out the tartness of the vinegar more than the fresh....as does the honey/agave nectar.
CM

Yum!

I just made some Strawberry Mango Ghost Pepper sauce a couple weeks ago and it is delicious.  Never thought I'd try this but I found I really enjoy it on some vanilla ice cream.

-Alden

Chili Monsta said:
Greetings parker49,
I like to use the fresh stuff when fermenting as it introduces more of the lacto bacteria to the ferment.
Through the number of batches I've made, I like the mango nectar when cooking the sauce as the sweetness seems to mellow out the tartness of the vinegar more than the fresh....as does the honey/agave nectar.
CM
Ah, well that explains it, thanks.  I plan on doing my first ferment later this summer, all i have done so far is cooked sauces. This definitely looks like it would be a good one, thanks for sharing the recipe.

AldenMiller said:
Yum!

I just made some Strawberry Mango Ghost Pepper sauce a couple weeks ago and it is delicious.  Never thought I'd try this but I found I really enjoy it on some vanilla ice cream.

-Alden
Greetings Alden,
I have also used this sauce on ice cream...frozen yogurt. But the habitual growth of my mid section and backside limits the amount of such things very often.

Most of the time I use it as a salad dressing..on a mixed garden greens. I got the idea from a spinach salad recipe that was topped with sliced strawberries and mango then drizzled with a sweet a poppy seed dressing. After serving it at a cookout, I got slammed with requests to bring it to future covered dish parties. So I started fermenting it a half gallon at a time.

Then I tried mixing it with the plain yogurt left over after I harvest the whey for ferments (which is close to the consistency of cream cheese) and it makes a wonderful spread on toasted bagels....or to simply to eat with a spoon.
CM

Back