• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Straw's glog 2015

Here's my first glog, and first time starting seeds indoors - any suggestions/constructive criticism is appreciated... I can take it :)

Grow space:
I'm in a somewhat chilly garage, but have been getting temps around 80 under the lights (hopefully this is warm enough)

Lights:
One four-foot T5 and one two-foot T5 (both four-bulb)

To do:
- Resist overwatering :)
- Add a fan
- Add mylar blankets for reflection
- Re-pot seedlings with one set of true leaves into 3.5" pots
- Begin nutrient regimen
- Germinate new varieties from refiningfirechiles.com when they arrive

My list:
7 Pot Brain Strain
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Pineapple
Bishop's Hat/ Orchid (pi 497974)
Brazilian Starfish
Carolina Reaper - Buckeye
Carolina Reaper - Pepper Joe
Cherry Hot Pepper
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet
Fatali
Giant Red Stuffed
Jalapeno Pepper-early
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Monster Naga
Peach Naga (pl)
Scotch Bonnet (MOA)
Trinidad Perfume
White Habanero
Yellow 7 Pot Primo
Yellow Butch T (pl)

Thanks for looking!
-Straw Man

Looking good so far! Love the list too. Nice mix of flavours and heat levels. Best of luck! I may be wrong, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm or not, but I'd say the lights could be set closer to the plants than they are.

:welcome: from Nova Scotia!

As MeatHead said - nice list and looking good! .. And yup, in my opinion, the lights could probably be put closer and raised as they grow - might help reduce the chance of them stretching too much. :)

Looking good. Welcome aboard!

You would think closer would be better but this is my second year getting started under T5HO bulbs and I learned last year you don't want them that close. For my set up they are about 10 inches off the plant tops. Yours don't look leggy to me.

Have fun! 

Super Hots Canada said:
:welcome: from Nova Scotia!

As MeatHead said - nice list and looking good! .. And yup, in my opinion, the lights could probably be put closer and raised as they grow - might help reduce the chance of them stretching too much. :)
I would move the lights closer for better growth and no stretching.  I see some purple in the leafs from too much light.  How long are you running the lights?  Keeping the lights closer will add warmth too.

Thanks everyone - 

I didn't know the purple meant too much light (noted, thanks!)  Just yesterday I raised the light to it's current height, so maybe it was too close.  It was just 4-5 inches above before.

Roguejim - I'm just using a regular old organic soil mix, not sure of the makeup...

Good luck this season!

As for the Mylar, go to a dollar store, one where EVERYTHING is a dollar. Pickup a few rolls of Mylar wrapping paper, the back side will be like chrome. This costs 90-95% less than if you buy Mylar reflective material.

Straw Man said:
Thanks everyone - 

I didn't know the purple meant too much light (noted, thanks!)  Just yesterday I raised the light to it's current height, so maybe it was too close.  It was just 4-5 inches above before.

Roguejim - I'm just using a regular old organic soil mix, not sure of the makeup...
move the lights right above your plants.  i get that purple in my plants every year, always in the early stages.  Even at 12/12 light cycle.

I dropped my lights down a little today - they're about 3.5 - 4 in away from the bulbs now:
CS9KOGtl.jpg

I had a few manzanos die recently - damping off I'm guessing
QR2MUKdl.jpg

...and here's my temp range right now... gets down to about 60 during my dark cycle.  Do I need a heater for those times?  I'm reading conflicting info on this.
T6g2j0ul.jpg

here are my two best plants right now:
QVuP4Akl.jpg

5bVAxLHl.jpg

Thanks for lookin'
-Straw Man

I backed way off the watering, got a fan, and went back to 24 hrs. of light, and things are looking much better. Now I'm seeing accelerated growth, and no more lime colored leaves. The algae growing on top of the soil is also pretty much gone... Temp range has also stabilized to 79 - 85 F.

Here's my flat that is farthest along:
YCmy26gl.jpg

closer...
vHjM5bpl.jpg

...and the addiction continues lol - I've got 40 pellets germinating some 7 Pot Brain Strain, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, Aji Pineapple, Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion, and 7 Pot Primo.  If that wasn't enough, I just got a shipment from our friend Denniz.  Need to germ the ones he sent: Red MoA Scotch Bonnet, Orange Daisy Cutter, Bonda Me Jacques x Yellow 7, Scotch Bonnet x 7 Pot Jonah, and Morado(?).  Really excited about these new strains.  Thanks Denniz.

JNq8tkpl.jpg

Back