• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stressing Out a Plant

print this out and post it in your grow room...

shears.jpg

Lol you don't get it? :rofl:

The plants see this they will get stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

sorry for the lame humor...but I saw that pic and it just hit me funny...I actually did print it out and have it on the wall in my growrage... :rofl:

I've read that stress can cause mutations (something I desire). Has anyone had any mutations while stressing out their plants? I had one mutation occur (a Thai dragon chile about 3x wide as normal) last year that was very interesting!

All depends. I have been eating supers for several years now, and had an experience last summer that blew my expectations clean out of the water.

I went to a BBQ at my folk's house, and my mom, knowing I like hot stuff bought some organically grown jalapenos at the local farmer's market.
Not only were they absolutely DELICIOUS, they were every bit as hot as any habanero I have ever had, orange OR red. Gave me a few hiccups and all :D They weren't very big, and their flavor was quite unique. VERY deep flavor, not at all overly watery, or muted. And not a flavor you would normally associate with a jalapeno. They would easily have made the most awesome poppers on the planet.

My mistake was just assuming they were garden variety jalapenos, and gnawing down before I saved any seeds.

Needless to say, I will be frequenting the farmer's market this year in search of a repeat.
Hot, dry, high desert summer growing season did something to those I hardly expected in a good way. It would have been interesting to know exactly how hot they would have tested, because they were WAY over 8k Scoville.

I love to eat chipotles (morita). The ones I eat are fresh and are like the raisins of peppers. Every once in awhile I get a hot one that seems beyond the 8,000 scoville mark. My tolerance is at the habanero level and I eat tons of pickled Thai dragon peppers (so tasty!).

I don't usually let them get this dry before watering, but to give you an idea of how I neglect watering sometimes..

dsc00323hqh.jpg

Wow ........Mmmm..... Maybe ill wait till I have enough plants and I become a Professional to do this to any of my plants, 1 More question will the plant still be alive after this? or will it just produce its last pods and Die?

Wow ........Mmmm..... Maybe ill wait till I have enough plants and I become a Professional to do this to any of my plants, 1 More question will the plant still be alive after this? or will it just produce its last pods and Die?

As long as the leaves don't dry out or get all discolored, they'll perk right back up when you water them. In the event the leaves all fall out though, as long as the stem is alright, the leaves should grow back..

Nice Maybe ill try this with a Boring Pepper like Serrano Pepper plant hahahaha but My Super Hots Will just brow as they will be pampered

Well im going to let them grow without overwatering or Overwatering as im just a Noobster lol i still gata learn how to know when its overwatered or not watered right

Well im going to let them grow without overwatering or Overwatering as im just a Noobster lol i still gata learn how to know when its overwatered or not watered right

What you may do along the lines of Capsicum's idea is monitor the plants when you have time until they just begin to wilt. Pick up the pot to gauge the weight and make a mental note of the weight. Water the plants until you have a trickle of water coming out the bottom. Pick up the pot again after you've watered it to gauge the weight of a watered pot. I can judge whether many of my pots need water through a routine of doing this day after day. This does of course mean picking up the pots every day.

If too much water flows out of the pot and you gauge the pot to be heavier by picking it up then you've poured too much water. There can be an issue of water running out of the pot due to the potting mix failing to retain the water. I have a couple of pots where it seems the potting mix has either become hydrophobic or there are channels that let the water flow out immediately.

If the plants are wilting several times a day and you gauged them to be watered properly then you'll need to examine some factors that include the temperature and the pot size. I have a couple of Jamaican Hot Chocolate plants for example that are overdue to be transplanted that wilt twice a day in hot weather. I will simply water them twice a day until I transplant them to larger pots.

What you may do along the lines of Capsicum's idea is monitor the plants when you have time until they just begin to wilt. Pick up the pot to gauge the weight and make a mental note of the weight. Water the plants until you have a trickle of water coming out the bottom. Pick up the pot again after you've watered it to gauge the weight of a watered pot. I can judge whether many of my pots need water through a routine of doing this day after day. This does of course mean picking up the pots every day.

If too much water flows out of the pot and you gauge the pot to be heavier by picking it up then you've poured too much water. There can be an issue of water running out of the pot due to the potting mix failing to retain the water. I have a couple of pots where it seems the potting mix has either become hydrophobic or there are channels that let the water flow out immediately.

If the plants are wilting several times a day and you gauged them to be watered properly then you'll need to examine some factors that include the temperature and the pot size. I have a couple of Jamaican Hot Chocolate plants for example that are overdue to be transplanted that wilt twice a day in hot weather. I will simply water them twice a day until I transplant them to larger pots.
oh that happens with my tomato plants i picked them up to see if they need water and when they are light i put water fast, maybe with peppers not so fast ill just make sure they dont die, and with California weather they dry out very quick, Ahhhhh Just noticed You Live in Australia....Just saw a documentary on The whole continent and now i wana live there, but back to the issue, Seems like im learning more than I thought and my peppers will get Hot

At 8,000 max scoville a Jalapeno is not very hot at all. Not like I cayenne at a max of 50,000 scoville. Jalapeno peppers hahigh level of vit. C but not heat. I think people may differ but I may have built my tolerance up from drinking cayenne hot sauce :fireball: Today I had some hot Thai that my friends were haveing a hard time eating and took the whole container of sauce and ate it up to find I could taste all the great characteristics of the peppers with a little swett and felt very clear. So I am eating 150,000 scoville peppers like they are nothing. :cool:

You can tell SHU with your mouth? I'm impressed.

3,500–8,000 is the range of Jalapeno's. You know? sceintists that actually have tested many Jalapeno peppers and that is what they most fall into. Sorry I could not give you an exact reading Pr0digal_son
So what is your point?

So should we just not even listen to what the scoville scale says? So wait if a red savina habanero is not in between 350,000 -580,000 then what is it?

I said I am eating 150,000 SHU because I was eating really hot Thai peppers
range 100,000-350,000 /80,000 to 300,000 Scoville Units. I was stating "150,000" to be conservative. I have seen them
at under 100,000 as well. Considering some eat whole habaneros I think The hottest Thai would taste good to them. :)

Back