• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

STUNTED PODS

I only picked this up the other day but someone was saying that the pods have a kind of clock so when the pods set they have a maximum amount of time to grow. If conditions are not favorable ie cold, not enough food etc then the pods simply do not grow to their "normal" size.

Out of all the factors i think that temperature would play the major part.

I think it might be to do with temperature more than anything else. We had one cold night a week or so ago and the majority of the pods on a few plants suddenly stopped growing and ripened instead, so now I have lots of scotch bonnets and habs that are ripe, but the size of a pea. The pods that were just forming in the flowers are growing as normal.

I have a jalapeno I over wintered from last year that is in too small of a pot for it's current size. The small pot combined with the amount of peppers it set lead to a bunch of super small jalapenos. I actually don't think any of them have matured to full size on this plant.

The pot for those of you who are wondering is at least 17quarts. I say at least because I have 2 sizes of pots I used for peppers before I moved to the 10 gallon totes from walmart. The Jalapeno is planted in the larger pot and I know one of the pots is 17 quarts.

Back