• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Stupid question ...but?

I often here people on here talking about how they love the flavour of "such and such" super hot pepper....do you guys actually eat them and enjoy the flavour? I personally like to grow them , dry them, and then make into flakes....and on some occasions sauce. I can't say i have actually ever bitten into a superhot for the flavor...can you guys enlighten me? Be gentle, Im a noob to the superhot pepper scene,,,haha thanks

:lol:

I've tried them a few times but to me they are over the top once you are over the million mark on the scoville scale. Red Savina and less I can taste the flavor profiles but not the super hots they kick my butt to quick and cause immediate pain lol.

badnews222 said:
I often here people on here talking about how they love the flavour of "such and such" super hot pepper....do you guys actually eat them and enjoy the flavour? I personally like to grow them , dry them, and then make into flakes....and on some occasions sauce. I can't say i have actually ever bitten into a superhot for the flavor...can you guys enlighten me? Be gentle, Im a noob to the superhot pepper scene,,,haha thanks

:lol:
Do you not notice the flavor in the powders?
My personal experience with superhots is very limited to Habaneros and ghost peppers. I use them fresh, in sauces, and as powders. Most people will agree that habs have a very recognizable taste regardless of what form it is in.
Ghost peppers do not have that flavor profile and have been described by some to have a fruity note to it. To be fair, it's flavor is very subtle to me and I use it more to make my habanero mixes hotter. This year I am growing reapers, douglahs, scotch bonnets, and others so hopefully I will be able to start recognizing the more subtle flavors of the different varieties.

Edit: Yes I realize habaneros are at the bottom of the scale and some people don't even consider them to be superhots but for me they are my gateway addiction so that's why I include them in the list

Hawaiianero said:
Do you not notice the flavor in the powders? My personal experience with superhots is very limited to Habaneros and ghost peppers.
Like i said , im fairly new to this, currently im growing some 7pot, reaper, and bhut...ive only actually powdered hot portugals (which arent hot in comparison) , purple gusto ,and habaneros...i LOVE the smell of them after they have been roasted, but cant actually say i can taste any kind of flavoring with them...mostly just feel the heat....

Hawaiianero said:

Edit: Yes I realize habaneros are at the bottom of the scale and some people don't even consider them to be superhots but for me they are my gateway addiction so that's why I include them in the list

Red Sav Habanedro is my first truly hot pepper that ive grown, and i found it pretty hot, im hoping i didnt bite off more than i can chew with the 7 pot and reaper..... ha

Alynne said:
I have a rule that I taste every pepper I grow raw. Sometimes it is just a tiny piece. That's the only way I know the best way to use it. Differences are : fruity, soapy, sweet, bitter, green... How else can you figure the best application?

^ ^ ^This is your best answer right here^ ^ ^ Even if its a minute piece they should all be tasted raw in their purest form to know what they are about.

Yes, I can taste the flavors when I eat one, regardless of the searing heat. Keep in mind that as you continue to eat hot stuff your tolerance level should get higher. I'm not saying you'll necessarily get to a point where you'll be eating superhots all day every day, but it will get better than it is now. People may rib you, but just take it at that - we all have different tolerance levels, some more than others, but being different doesn't make one better and another worse. Also, I am inclined to think that the number of taste buds a given person has influences their ability to taste superhots through the heat. No one has control over how many taste buds they have.

I agree with tasting every pepper raw. I do the same, even if its just the tip which is less hot than the middle. I also plan on fermenting every pepper on its own raw, without boiling any of the sauce. This also helps to bring out flavors, even though it will have a twang to it. Powders are nice, but some peppers are not as nice this way, although some dried peppers flavor profile is better. Every pepper should be tasted raw, dried, cooked and fermented. All have different flavors. Some do better with different methods.

You know dried Reaper has a great taste and you go oh this isn't bad and it taste good but then the burn all most like a buzz my teeth go numb and I have to stop myself from doing it again 2 days later.

Personally out of the superhots i grew this year and smoked/dried/powdered i liked the flavor of the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion the best. However i didnt care too much for the flavor of the yellow bhut it was a little too bitter but definitely had some good heat.

I like to cook with super hots, but I have not and probably will not eat one raw.  However, I do want to stuff one with some good cheese, wrap it in some bacon and smoke it over some coals this summer.  I have done that with a habanero before... and it was one of the most painful things I have experienced (I am conviced that hab was an abberantly hot specimen), but I remember the flavor was unbeleivably good!!!

hogleg said:
^ ^ ^This is your best answer right here^ ^ ^ Even if its a minute piece they should all be tasted raw in their purest form to know what they are about.
Agreed. That said, you can't beat glabriusculums and a lot of the baccatums for flavor/heat ratio.
Gargoyle91 said:
You know dried Reaper has a great taste and you go oh this isn't bad and it taste good but then the burn all most like a buzz my teeth go numb and I have to stop myself from doing it again 2 days later.
I actually snorted a line of powdered Reaper a while back just to make someone laugh. It went pretty much the way you'd expect.

Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum
Capsicum annuum var. glabriusculum is a variety of Capsicum annuum that is native to southern North America and northern South America. Wikipedia

Big word!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't bring themselves to chomp a whole super-hot pod.  I fine slice or just nibble (starting at the bottom like a true wimp) a little at a time.  Enoy the flavor, hang on for the flash of heat, and come back in 10~20 minutes wanting more.  ;)

Back