• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sulsa's 2022 grow log

As already stated in my welcome thread i'm fairly new to growing peppers. This is gonna be my second year of growing them.
Last year was quite a succes, started out with ten variaties that i could find locally and ended up with a garden full of lush plants and dito harvests. The climate here is not ideal for growing peppers, especially the 2021 season was quite wet arround here. Hoping this year will be a bit more favourable.

The plan for upcoming season is all about diversity in varieties. I'm trying to find the peppers i like the most and find good use for in the kitchen. Also cutting down on the number of plants per variety so i will not have to proces tons of peppers wich i don't really like.

Below my growlist for upcoming season:

Capsicum Pubescens (sowed 1-7-2022)

5x Rio Hualaga
5x Mini choco

Capsicum Chinense (sowed 1-15-2022)

5x Bonda ma Jacques
5x Bahamian goat
5x Habanero red
30x Adjuma yellow

Capsicum Frutescens

20x Chabai green

Capsicum Baccatum (sowed 1-15-2022)

5x Lemon drop
5x Aji mango
5x Sugar rush peach
5x Rainforrest

Capsicum annuum

5x Jalapeno el Jefe
5x Greek pepperoni
10x Cayenne
10x Cayenne #1 (big and beautyfull off pheno that popped up last year, giving it a try...)
5x Rawit
20x Piquillo de Lodosa
20x Kapia
20x Dulce de Espagna
5x Ancho negro

Most of this plants will be grown in containers in my backyard. I also have about 300 square meters of vegetable garden in wich i will grow a few varieties in open field. Did this last year with sweet peppers and this turned out pretty good.

20220117_103410.jpg

First hook for this season... Rocoto mini choco (7 days after it hit the dirt )

Last edited:
That grow 'cabinet' sure works great, @Sulsa!
Everything so nice and uniform :clap:

Altough a lot is going exactly as planned, some things have not worked out so fine.
Bummer nr1: I sowed all the aji rainforrest and had none germinate, seeds were bought recently. 😔
Bummer nr2: i sowed all the newly bought rocoto rio Hualaga seeds and had only one germinate, it has three cotyledons and hardly any roots. I will grow this one out so i might get a taste of the pepper, but will not save seeds because of bad genetics. 😔
20220223_202111.jpg

Bummer nr3: Sowed 50 habanero red seeds and had only three that germinated. Seeds were self collected about 6 months ago. Did the sink test on the fresh seeds, rinsed them in a bleech solution, dryed them properly and stored them dark at about 10 degrees celcius in my vegetable drawer in the fridge. 😔 All the other varieties i collected seed from last year had close to 100% germination rate.
One of these seedlings also has some faulty genetics going on.. four cotyledons, but on separate stalks! Interesting but not very encouraging for seed collecting.
20220223_202959.jpg

Bummer nr4: last year i was gifted a bag of mixed habanero seeds from a professional seedsupplier. About 90% percent of the seedlings turned out to be Jamaican hot yellow. I didn't like them very much. Underside of the peppers tasted like thinwalled and dry sweet peppers and the top was scorching hot! The red habanero seeds also came from this habanero mix. Because the package said there should be some habanero chocolat in the mix i planted some again this year. All of them are Jamaican hot yellow for crying out loud! 😔
The alternate leaf setting and a more annuum like appearance was a clear give away last year, and look what we got....
20220223_203428.jpg

Almost forgot...
Bummer nr 5: Sowed 5 rocoto mini choco, 5 germinated and 4 of them were helmet heads...
One ofthem freed itself and deserved a chance.
Difference between the two survivors is clear, but on a positive note: at least i have this variety on the go and the best one will hopefully provide some seed for the future.
20220223_202707.jpg

Canopy shot
20220223_202805.jpg

Close up
20220223_202858.jpg

@Sulsa - Hey, buddy, if you want to grow some JA Red Habaneros
hit me up. I have a great variety descended from Jamaican stock
brought back by a THP member. I have been growing it since 2014
with very good success. I have 2019 fifth-generation seed that had
good germ rates this season. I have grown out to seventh-generation,
but picked up a spare gene somewhere, so I am going back to this
iteration.

@Sulsa - Hey, buddy, if you want to grow some JA Red Habaneros
hit me up. I have a great variety descended from Jamaican stock
brought back by a THP member. I have been growing it since 2014
with very good success. I have 2019 fifth-generation seed that had
good germ rates this season. I have grown out to seventh-generation,
but picked up a spare gene somewhere, so I am going back to this
iteration.
That's very generous! PPATB!
For this season i already got a lot going, gonna be a pepperforrest arround here.
I got 3 seedlings of the reds going and one big OW plant ,so there will be no shortage.
They are quite hot and it took me a while to find good use for them.
I drop one or two whole in my chili and once on my plate i smash 'm up! :fireball:
This fall, when making new plans for 2023 i will remember your gesture and trade you some Adjuma (you have to try these, so fragrant and aromatic!!!) 🙂

Noticed the sugar rush peach having some downward leafcurl this evening.
Couldn't figure any particular reasons, can pretty much rule out deficiencies and haven't watered them or something recently. Might just be the end of a long day growing. Due to good weather temps went up a lot compared to a couple of days ago. Plants might be a bit tired of working hard all day! I often experience some "leafroll" to after working my ass off all day!🥴

20220226_205002.jpg

Over all plant looks healthy.
20220226_204405.jpg

Those are growing out nicely, @Sulsa. Won't
be long before they are crowding each other!

The rocoto mini choco decided it was time to fork already.

IMG_20220301_205650.jpg

The red hab with four cotyledons actually is composed of two fused seedlings, when it just sprouted the stem was quite translucent and clearly showed two stems inside. Gonna be a nice rarity for this season.

IMG_20220301_205841.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, @Sulsa, nice pics! That Mini Chocolate is going
to be a beasty little plant!

My JA Red Habs are prone to stuff like that, as well.
I have gone back to growing from older seed to mini-
mine any recent crossing, like the purple one last sea-
son. I don't know it's a varietal trait, or something in
my particular line.

That habanero will be a great plant, as well!
popcorn2.gif

Last edited:
Transplanted the sweet peppers today, 20 Kapia and 20 Dulce de Espagna.
These are destined to be planted on open ground, so after recuperation there will be no pampering for them.
When daytime temps are above 10C/50F they will spend their day outside.
Their parents received the same treatment last year and they did fine.
20220303_200728.jpg

The Piquillo and Chabai (2 top rows) starting to show some growth.
20220303_174230.jpg

The baccatums realy like the warmer temps lately. (note to self: sow four weeks later next year! 😋)
20220303_174140.jpg

It is done!!! Level 2 complete!!!
Transplanted the last seedlings today! 10 cayenne and 10 cayenne #1
20220306_204516.jpg

Did a headcount today ... 164 pepperplants in total! 😱
Probably will give away some but likely will grow out 140 or so... Why can 't i be like normal people? :crazy:
Also starting my vegetable season, so it's complete growers mayhem around here!

Did you notice that the cotys of your seedling all seem to be oriented in the same direction? 🤔

Back