• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sulsa's 2022 grow log

As already stated in my welcome thread i'm fairly new to growing peppers. This is gonna be my second year of growing them.
Last year was quite a succes, started out with ten variaties that i could find locally and ended up with a garden full of lush plants and dito harvests. The climate here is not ideal for growing peppers, especially the 2021 season was quite wet arround here. Hoping this year will be a bit more favourable.

The plan for upcoming season is all about diversity in varieties. I'm trying to find the peppers i like the most and find good use for in the kitchen. Also cutting down on the number of plants per variety so i will not have to proces tons of peppers wich i don't really like.

Below my growlist for upcoming season:

Capsicum Pubescens (sowed 1-7-2022)

5x Rio Hualaga
5x Mini choco

Capsicum Chinense (sowed 1-15-2022)

5x Bonda ma Jacques
5x Bahamian goat
5x Habanero red
30x Adjuma yellow

Capsicum Frutescens

20x Chabai green

Capsicum Baccatum (sowed 1-15-2022)

5x Lemon drop
5x Aji mango
5x Sugar rush peach
5x Rainforrest

Capsicum annuum

5x Jalapeno el Jefe
5x Greek pepperoni
10x Cayenne
10x Cayenne #1 (big and beautyfull off pheno that popped up last year, giving it a try...)
5x Rawit
20x Piquillo de Lodosa
20x Kapia
20x Dulce de Espagna
5x Ancho negro

Most of this plants will be grown in containers in my backyard. I also have about 300 square meters of vegetable garden in wich i will grow a few varieties in open field. Did this last year with sweet peppers and this turned out pretty good.

20220117_103410.jpg

First hook for this season... Rocoto mini choco (7 days after it hit the dirt )

Last edited:
Good luck in your 2nd season, @Sulsa!

You are dropping lots of seeds. How many
plants are you thinking about for 2022?

Good luck in your 2nd season, @Sulsa!

You are dropping lots of seeds. How many
plants are you thinking about for 2022?
Thanks Paul!

For the most varieties i'm aiming to keep at least 3 plants to grow out and harvest from. The ones i sowed bigger numbers of are givin a chance in the open field. All of them are varieties i was quite happy with and want to continue them in the future. By increasing the numbers i hope to find some quality motherplants .and maybe some pheno differences. I will be selecting quite rigorously so numbers will go down. All of this will result in overwhelming harvests i guess, but hey... no complaints here! :)

Last edited:
Have you tried the mini red rocoto? Of all the
mini rocotos I have grown, it is the juiciest and
sweetest 😋

Here is some insight in my M.O. this year:

First a good soak in h2o2 1% for about four hrs, then an additional soak for 20 hrs in a kno3 solution
IMG_20220114_224529.jpg

After the soak i plant them in cocopeat without any additives and put them in my breedingbox. I made this one out of an old aquarium. Fitted it with some proper led lighting and a heating mat. Temperature reaches a max of 30 degrees celcius. At night i don't heat it and temperatures might drop to low twenties.
20220117_220807.jpg

After germination i will transplant the winners in 9 or 11 cm. pots depending on the variety and the plants for my vegetable garden will go in some roottrainertrays. After that they go to my newly build grow closet.
Temperatures there will be more like 18 degrees max so hopefully it will temper the growth a bit. (Long haul till half april!)
20220117_101831.jpg

With a bit of luck i can start hardening them off outside arround half april ( it's gonna be a jungle here...)

For a "beginner" you are taking things seriously. That's quite a list!

I tend to approach my hobby's and interests quite obsessive indeed!
(Came to the right place i quess :) )
Yes, @Sulsa, you will find that obsession and
compulsion are standard operating procedure here!

Your new set-up looks great. It will be full of green
before you know it!

I tend to approach my hobby's and interests quite obsessive indeed!
(Came to the right place i quess :) )
Day-um!
It looks like your obsession is paying off. You've got this under control.
Good luck for a good 2022 grow.

I've got to try that h2o2/kno3 treatment with some of my stubborn old seed.
j

Day-um!
It looks like your obsession is paying off. You've got this under control.
Good luck for a good 2022 grow.

I've got to try that h2o2/kno3 treatment with some of my stubborn old seed.
j
Thanks JJJessee!

Most of my seeds are not that old, so it's debatable if this proces is necessary for me.
Maybe it helps in oxidizing and sterilising the seeds or maybe just softening the seedhull. I don't know for sure, but it doesn't seem to harm the seeds and it provides me something to tinker with! :)

Update: First chinense hook today, the winner is Bahamian goat! :dance:

Most of the chinense (except the hab red) have sprouted, probably will be able to keep three of each variety.
One SRP is the only baccatum so far to sprout... it's been only 9 days so no worries yet.
No signs of life for the rocoto rio Huallaga, have some seeds left, so if i don't see any sprout in a week from now i will put some new ones in the dirt. The rocoto mini choco germinated 5/5, but 4 of them were helmet heads. One freed itself, but had to sacrifice both coty's and surgery on the other three went well, but revealed some weak coty's that already started to rot so i culled them. This one at least is doing great and allready showing some hairy genetics.
IMG_20220124_220349.jpg

Last edited:
One freed itself, but had to sacrifice both coty's and surgery on the other three went well, but revealed some weak coty's that already started to rot so i culled them.
I never had this happen to me, but it did this season. I've sown one variety ("jalapeño" Chernobyl) where every seedling - except one - showed issues with the cotyledons. Six out of eight seeds germinated (two sowings of four) and five had this problem. I've attributed it to a seed-born issue.

I never had this happen to me, but it did this season. I've sown one variety ("jalapeño" Chernobyl) where every seedling - except one - showed issues with the cotyledons. Six out of eight seeds germinated (two sowings of four) and five had this problem. I've attributed it to a seed-born issue.
Maybe it is don't know for sure... i can pretty much rule out common reasons like humidity, temperature and plant depth. All the others did fine. The rotting of the coty's might be a result of my rescue attempts, i carefully kept a droplet of water arround the helmet for 2 days to soften up the hull, might have smothered it a bit. :banghead:

Day off work today and some seedlings in need of some private space, so made some potting mix this morning.
Weather was absolutely dreadfull today and with the mrs at work, i did the mixing in my living room (don't tell her... :silenced:)
Made about 100 liters, wich should be sufficient for all my potting till outdoor plant out.
20220127_110720.jpg

20220127_140317.jpg

The recipe:
60% sifted spaghnum/peat based potting soil
25% sifted cocopeat
10% sifted aged garden compost
5% crusher sand mixed with lavameal and perlite

Added nutrition:
Bloodmeal
Bonemeal
Pottasium fertilizer of wich i don't know the translation. (Made from pulp of sugarbeets)
Epsom salt

It should be around NPK 6-4-10 + 2 MgO
I used about a fifth of the recommended dosage, cause I don't want the little plants starting in very nutrient rich soil.

At plant out i will use the same composition but richer in nutrients and more perlite.

Last edited:
Looks like a great mix. should provide a
great home for the roots to snuggle in!

Back