• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Sulsa's 2023 Glog

Here we go again!!!!
Looking back at the 2022 season i can only conclude that it has been a succesfull and very productive season, wich ofcourse fueled the pepper madness in me even more! :D
Fact is i grew way more peppers than i can possibly consume or give away under normal circumstances and it would be wise to cut down a bit on the amount of plants in the coming season. I decided to get rid of all the overwintering plants and start all fresh this year.
No plants to take care of this winter, no fungus gnats all over the place and in my humble experience the overwinterers did not outproduce the fresh seedlings but did need more space. Pound for pound the seedlings were more productive.
Plan was to cut down on the varieties too, but as we all know that's just not gonna happen.
I really didn't have to grow 12 Adjumas last year, wich resulted in over 10 kg of frozen adjuma mash in my freezer so cutting back on the amount of plants per variety it is!
I also decided to start sowing a few weeks later to prevent the plants being in need of repotting to the final pots before they can stay outside day and night. This will save me a lot of carrying in and out big plantcontainers every day.

This afternoon we had some rain and with not much else to do i dug up all my pepperseeds and sat down to make some decisions and make the provisional growlist of 2023

IMG_20230107_174843.jpg

Chinense:
Aji charapita Iquitos (semillas)
Perola laranja (semillas)
Mako akokosrade (semillas)
Goronong (semillas)
Lemon starrburst (semillas)
CGN 21500 (semillas)
Fatali ( SineNomine)
MOA Scotch bonnet (SineNomine)
Papa dreadie Scotch bonnet (SineNomine)
Papa Joe's Scotch bonnet (SineNomine)
Nebru 7 pod (SineNomine)
Bahamian goat (2022)
Adjuma yellow (2022)
Bonda ma Jacques (2022)
BMJ x Adjuma F1 (hand pollinated cross i made last year)
Trinidad perfume (semillas)
Habanada (semillas)

Annuum:
Thai orange (semillas)
Cayenne #1 (2022)
Thunder mountain longhorn (semillas)
Jalapeno biker Billy (semillas)
Buena mulata (semillas)
Piquillo (2022)
Kapia (2022)
Ancho mulato (semillas)
+1 other sweet pepper i still have to decide on.

Pubescens:
Rio Hualaga (2022)

Frutescens:
Prik khee nu (semillas)

I still have a couple of weeks to decide the amount of plants per variety and wich varieties will be grown on open ground in the vegetable garden and wich in containers in my backyard. For now the waiting game has started and besides cleaning the growspace and other preparations only thing to do is dreaming of bountiful harvests!

Here's to a great season!

:cheers:

Last edited:
Update on the second round:

Piquillo 18/20
Kapia 12/15
Thunder mountain longhorn 5/6
Cayenne #1 6/6
Buena mulata 2/6
Biker billy 3/6
Orange thai 4/6
Giallo d'Asti 9/15
Goccia d'oro 0/15
Peperone Lombardo 2/15
Ancho mulato 0/10

Prik khee nu 5/6

Transplanted 16 piquillo, 10 kapia, 5 tml, 6 cayenne and 5 prik khee nu today.
The rest was a bit slower and will need another week before transplant.
Old growcabinet filled up...
IMG_20230226_200844.jpg

The first round filled up the new growcabinet, so were will i put the ones still in the germination station? :think:
IMG_20230226_201505.jpg

Most of the chinense started to grow their second leafpair.
IMG_20230226_201804.jpg

IMG_20230226_201739.jpg

IMG_20230226_201701.jpg

Transplanted all the seedlings! 🥳
Had to make some hard decisions today... brought down the numbers of plants per variety to fit the growspace and make my grow manageable in the months to come. Ended up with the numbers below:

Chinense:
3 Habanada
2 Trinidad perfume
3 Bonda ma Jacques x Adjuma F1
3 Bonda ma Jacques
3 Bahamian goat
1 Papa Joes SB
3 Papa Dreadie SB
3 MOA SB
3 Fatali
3 CGN 21500
3 Lemon Starburst
3 Goronong
3 Mako akokosrade
3 Perola laranja
6 Aji charapita Iquitos (should cull back to 3 or i will have to spend many hours of tiny berry picking...)

Annuums: (container grow)
4 Thai orange
4 Thunder mountain longhorn
4 Biker Billy jalapeno
4 Buena mulata
4 Cayenne #1

Annuums: (open ground)
6 Kapia
6 Ancho mulato
6 Goccia d'oro
6 d'Asti giallo
6 Peperone Lombardo
12 Piquillo de Lodosa

Other:
3 Rocoto Rio Hualaga
4 Prik khi nu

Grow space is completely filled up now! Plants will have sufficient room for the next 6 weeks or so and after that daytime temperatures better be suited for an early hardening outside or i will be f*****!

20230307_194833.jpg

20230307_195534.jpg

Good stuff, Sulsa! Hope the weather cooperates such that you can get them all outside before they grow you out of space.

Transplanted all the seedlings! 🥳

3 Perola laranja
6 Aji charapita Iquitos (should cull back to 3 or i will have to spend many hours of tiny berry picking...)
Those 3 orange pearl will certainly contribute to your many hours of tiny berry picking! ;)

Those 3 orange pearl will certainly contribute to your many hours of tiny berry picking! ;)

Maybe i should get myself one of those berry pickers they use in harvesting blueberries... :think:

I also went with this variety this year, will be fun to compare, however when reading yours are going into the open grown I guess size won't be so fun to compare (for me) :D

I'm not so sure about that.... on open ground the sweet peppers often become quite sturdy and small. In your (awesome) greenhouse they will become more lanky thus way bigger.... I'm also afraid that this particular (blocky) variety is more of a greenhouse variety compared to let's say a kapia wich are often grown outdoors on fields
The fruitset on open ground on the other hand is often very good especially if you take plantsize in account.... so if we do not compete in plantsize but total fruit weight then i'm in!!! Let's play!!! :D

Was looking forward to growing these (CGN21500) and they are allready showing some nice dark stems
IMG-20230309-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20230309-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230309-WA0016.jpg

Last year i had only one rocoto rio hualaga that germinated. It took forever to germinate and at transplanting it had hardly any roots, more like a little knob on the bottomside of the stem. After transplanting it went dormant for many weeks, then grew a couple of leaves and went dormant again. I transplanted it to a big container and it still didn't want to grow. I think it was at the end of June when it suddenly started to grow and within a few weeks it grew to some serious proportions and started flowering. In the hottest part of summer it started to set fruits everywhere. Due to this late fruitset i was only able to harvest a few ripe fruits before the first frost destroyed all remaining fruits. I didn't have much faith in the seeds it produced, but i decided to give it a try. They didn't dissapoint me. Most of them germinated within two weeks. I kept three of them and they are doing great.
IMG-20230309-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20230309-WA0001.jpg

Buena mulata seedling with a dark stem and some nice dark cotyledons
IMG-20230309-WA0013.jpg

Watered the chinense a couple of days ago and they immediately started to grow.... will keep them on the dry end for a while now, don't want them to grow too fast. Still a long time before they can go outside!
IMG-20230309-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20230309-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20230309-WA0005.jpg

I'm not so sure about that.... on open ground the sweet peppers often become quite sturdy and small. In your (awesome) greenhouse they will become more lanky thus way bigger.... I'm also afraid that this particular (blocky) variety is more of a greenhouse variety compared to let's say a kapia wich are often grown outdoors on fields
The fruitset on open ground on the other hand is often very good especially if you take plantsize in account.... so if we do not compete in plantsize but total fruit weight then i'm in!!! Let's play!!! :D
Its on! 😎😅 Fruit weight makes more sense!

IMG_0554.jpeg

So far im still far away from any fruit :D

Time for a little update. Weather around here remains dreadfull, last year i was allready hardening peppers outdoors at the beginning of april. Made the right choice by sowing a bit later and keeping them growing slow... otherwise i would have been in deep shit by now! 😁

IMG_20230406_163000.jpg
IMG_20230406_163010.jpg
IMG_20230406_184317.jpg

The rocotos started forking and also a bahamian goat decided it was time to fork and throw the first flower... at just 6 cm height... i noticed some dwarfish growth on the goats last year but this is very low on the stem to make the first fork if you ask me. :crazy:
IMG_20230406_163042.jpg
IMG_20230406_163056.jpg

Back