• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Sun Vs Shade - which plants can handle it?

Most of my yard gets 5 - 8 hours sun per day which is working well for me. But there are a few spots where I'd like to put some 5 gallon containers which get 3 hours and another that gets about 10 hours. From experience, can anyone suggest ones that can handle tonnes of sun as well as little sun? or does it matter?

I'd assume the annuums are the ones I should choose for the shadier spots. (I almost fried a Bolivian Rainbow last year in the sun spot). I will get some days that top 90F but not many. Primarily summer is in the 80's (high 20's C).

Here are my choices:

Bhut Jolokia
Red Savina
Trinidad Scorpion
7 Pot
Naga Morich
Paper Lantern Habanero
Orange Habanero
White Habanero
Jamaican Hot
Caribbean Red
Giant Bhut
Tasmanian Habanero
Pumpkin Habanero
Fatalli
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Red Scotch Bonnet
Mustard Habanero
Devil's Tongue (Yellow)
Aji Limon
Poblano
Bishops Crown
Numex BigJim
Numex Sandia
Tabasco

Aji Limon will grow well in the shade, maybe the Bishop's Crown too. I think everything else needs more sun. The Tabasco may fruit in the shade, but it would be bigger w/ more sun.

I grew my Naga Morich and a datil plant on my front porch last year. They only got about 5 hours of afternoon sun and each produced over 200 peppers. Maybe they could have produced better in full sun, but I will take that production any time. It can be done in lower light areas. Now 3 hours, not sure though.

jacob

ZanderSpice said:
Aji Limon will grow well in the shade, maybe the Bishop's Crown too. I think everything else needs more sun. The Tabasco may fruit in the shade, but it would be bigger w/ more sun.

Tabasco sounds like a good one. I guess typical large producers where I wouldn't mind falling a bit short of their maximum potential is a good idea for shade plants. Aji Limon and Bishops Crown also sound like good ones to think about. Thanks. I want to reserve most chinenses for prime sun spots so that will work.

Back