• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sunday Roast on Saturday - Lemme see your meat!

Gettin' rained out on doing the last of my Fall cleanup outside.  Saw this fine looking chuck roast (5+ lb) at my butchers.  Made a paste with fresh rosemary and thyme, garlic, salt and pepper and olive oil.  Lubed up my meat and blasted it hard and fast at 450 for 20 mins.  Added some veg, more fresh herbs and a bit of water.  Covered it with foil and then back in the oven at 375.  Thinking it'll be done in 2-3 hours.  Time to start drinking and wait for the feast.

gallery_8228_122_157157.jpg

gallery_8228_122_4584.jpg

Added the veg and water, covered it and back in the hot box...

gallery_8228_122_543893.jpg

I know we have some worldwide culinary connoisseurs.  I don't know how far my version is from a traditional Sunday roast.  How do you roll yours? 

I've actually never roasted anything in the oven that I can think of. I've used the pressure cooker and the slow cooker, but never the oven ... interesting, looks good.

"Good bread,
Good meat,
Good god,
Let's eat!"

sonofabitch! That looks frickin delishuss!!! Fantastic meal Husker. Meat and potatoes. Boom. If you have a meat/deli slicer, slice it paper thin cold right out of the fridge. You probably know that trick.

Scoville DeVille said:
"Good bread,
Good meat,
Good god,
Let's eat!"

sonofabitch! That looks frickin delishuss!!! Fantastic meal Husker. Meat and potatoes. Boom. If you have a meat/deli slicer, slice it paper thin cold right out of the fridge. You probably know that trick.

Scovs, I know the trick.  But I have yet to use my slicer... and its a hand me down... from the 60s.  Needs to be sharpened something fierce.  Although my buddy has one... Might have to invite him over for lunch.  :) Food coma coming on strong.

Great looks!!!!! Here is very common baking meat this way. use potatoes, carrots, onions, scallions, tomatoes, garlic and bell pepper.  It has done very well.

Particularly, I like it more cooked vegetables, thus the flavor is much more forceful. Potatoes should be crispy crust. But those are tastes of each person.

cypresshill1973 said:
Great looks!!!!! Here is very common baking meat this way. use potatoes, carrots, onions, scallions, tomatoes, garlic and bell pepper.  It has done very well.

Particularly, I like it more cooked vegetables, thus the flavor is much more forceful. Potatoes should be crispy crust. But those are tastes of each person.
Agreed on cooking the vegetables more. Nothing better than some crispy bits in those potatoes.

To keep meat juicy, you must first cook potatoes for 20 or 30 minutes, turn potatoes with a spatula and then add on the meat and other vegetables. Much olive oil and half a glass of red wine.
Every 15-20 minutes, with a big spoon, juices put on the meat and vegetables.

This pic is done months ago. (asado horneado / baking beef ribs) Piece of meat was not thick and put it all together. Potatoes have ended like you. They were not as crispy as I want

2014-06-25%252021.12.28.jpg

Pan seared in the CI just long enough to kill off surface bacteria, then rubbed with salt and cayenne
P1010844.JPG

Tossed in the oven at 200F for a couple hours, then popped the temp up to 500F for about 10 minutes to brown the outside
P1010845.JPG

That's all she wrote for now, as this is for tomorrow's dinner. Tonight's was seared ahi tuna steaks. 

Um…. dude, you know there are bacteria on everything, right? Especially organic stuffs, right?  :lol:

Ok, we didn't have the roast for dinner yesterday after all. I was so famished after getting home tonight I just ate some cold. Here are a few slices:
roast.jpg

Um…. dude, you know there are bacteria on everything, right? Especially organic stuffs, right?  :lol:

Ok, we didn't have the roast for dinner yesterday after all. I was so famished after getting home tonight I just ate some cold. Here are a few slices:
roast.jpg

Edit: No idea how that posted twice…. At any rate, the point was that it was seared up front at a very high temp for a very short period of time. A lot of people sear too long up front, resulting in a dry outer edge. The very brief searing at the beginning prevents the outer edge from drying out. Finishing off at a high temp at the end after a very low cooking temp basically caramelizes the proteins and sugars that came to the surface, resulting in better flavor as well as a not-dry surface. You can see from the cutting board that the outside was still juicy.

Back