• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

"Super Datil" and Fatalii

Out of pure curiosity I'm growing a couple "Super Datils" this year. From what I've read posted around here they are simply Fataliis. Here's what I'm curious about: have any of you grown the Super Datil, realized it was a Fatalii and just kept on saving seed and growing it, referring to it as Fatalii? I'm wondering if over the generations differences between the SD and the F pop up here and there.

It's possible. I've never grown the Super Datil but I'm pretty sure these kinds of problems with naming happen all too often in the pepper world. I'm convinced the Brain Strain and the TSMB are the same plant too that got separated and developed new names. Since they got separated (just like any group of genetics that gets separated for a few generations), they developed just the slightest difference in qualities. I'm looking to test it myself this year as I'm growing both, but you may have found another of the same phenomenon. Someone finds a new plant that they are unsure of and they compare it to another plant to give it a new name. Two different growers got access to the same plant, one compared it to a scorpion and the other to a 7 pot. The 7 pot and the scorpion both descended from the same ancestor so I suppose you can say either is correct :cool:. Not the same case with the Datil and the Fatalii (unless you go way way back).

I'm growing a few BSs also, I wasn't set on growing the Morouga, but I decided to at the last minute to try to germinate a couple. I have just one tsmb, if it survives I'll also compare.

Out of pure curiosity I'm growing a couple "Super Datils" this year. From what I've read posted around here they are simply Fataliis. Here's what I'm curious about: have any of you grown the Super Datil, realized it was a Fatalii and just kept on saving seed and growing it, referring to it as Fatalii? I'm wondering if over the generations differences between the SD and the F pop up here and there.

YES ACTUALLY THERE IS NO DIFFERANCE FROM WHAT I HAVE I NOTICED
my friend had what was supposed to be Super Datil growing this year and thats how i know, they are from what i know not true Datil, true datil are smaller, milder as well as having a different flavor than Fatalii, in fact i ate both and could not tell the dif between Super Datil and Fatalii in appearance or flavor
in fact i think SUPER DATIL IS BUNK the evidence is very clear to me, im with S.S. TUPPERWARE on this one

hope this helps

ps did you send your sasbe for the Wild Brazil? i still have plenty

thanks your friend Joe

Here's a nice pic of the "Super Datil"
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/5352-golden-habaneros/page__view__findpost__p__93854

I had Fataliis last year that turned true yellow, but notice some people out there have Fataliis that look more orange. I was wondering if it was possible people have Fataliis that are actually somewhat "impure." But then again I noticed with my yellow varieties, some of them get more orange when exposed to direct sun.

Thanks Joe, yes, the SASBE was sent yesterday or the day before... should be there soon...

I had Fataliis last year that turned true yellow, but notice some people out there have Fataliis that look more orange. I was wondering if it was possible people have Fataliis that are actually somewhat "impure." But then again I noticed with my yellow varieties, some of them get more orange when exposed to direct sun.

I think the oranging has to do with more red spectrum light in the fall effecting carotene or beta carotene levels. Also heat will turn them oranger when dehydrating

All fataliis from the same plant

Sept 8 009 by potawie, on Flickr

Not really sure what's supposed to be "super" about it besides the size. I haven't grown the Super Datil personally, but I did grow true Datils and Fataliis last year and I got loads more peppers off the Datils, and from what I can tell the Super Datils are visibly identical to Fataliis. I've heard the Super Datil is supposed to be a Datil/Fatalii cross, but in any event I wouldn't bother with it- go with the originals.

Yep, i've been told that is not vigorous as the original one. Go for true Datil.

Cya

Datil

yes what he said true datil taste wonderful im growing them again this year

thanks your friend Joe

Well, Super Datils are supposed to be a Cross between Datils and Madame Jeanette.
Look here: http://www.semillas....hop_en/shop.cgi

didnt know that i had a tough time figuring out the diffeance in flavor between them, only the true datil tasted different to me
thanks your friend Joe

Not really sure what's supposed to be "super" about it besides the size. I haven't grown the Super Datil personally, but I did grow true Datils and Fataliis last year and I got loads more peppers off the Datils, and from what I can tell the Super Datils are visibly identical to Fataliis. I've heard the Super Datil is supposed to be a Datil/Fatalii cross, but in any event I wouldn't bother with it- go with the originals.
nothing super from what i have noticed i love fatalii myself and thought they where the same, and you and CYA are right the original strain datil was a powerhouse in the production catagory, i had two plants in 2010 and i cant count that high the amount of pod i got from both, im growing the original this yearagain, just ask any grower from the SAINT AUGUSTENE FL area and they will tell you the same

thanks your friend Joe

Interesting about the orange - red light spectrum connection hypothesis, and the madam jeanette idea... seems when a pepper acquires a marketing name that does not reflect it's background, things get all mixed up. Alas. Well, Chris' description in my link above is good enough for me to give it a try. I'm also growing "true" Fataliis and Datils this year too btw.

The Super Datil is an abomination. Hybridization with a Datil, and then pretending the genetic offspring is any type of Datil is an affront to the pepper Gods.

Sacrelige! Heathens! Heresy!

The largest familial enclave of Minorcans is about 30 miles north of St. Augustine, is in Palm Vally, Ponte Vedra. There is another small enclave of familial Minorcans in the Mayport Village, lots of little Datil patches throughout.

The commercial Datil plants that you get out of St. Aug nowadays, taste like poop dipped in battery acid.

You can get good Datils, but not necessarily out of St. Augustine.

The Super Datil is an abomination. Hybridization with a Datil, and then pretending the genetic offspring is any type of Datil is an affront to the pepper Gods.

Sacrelige! Heathens! Heresy!

The largest familial enclave of Minorcans is about 30 miles north of St. Augustine, is in Palm Vally, Ponte Vedra. There is another small enclave of familial Minorcans in the Mayport Village, lots of little Datil patches throughout.

The commercial Datil plants that you get out of St. Aug nowadays, taste like poop dipped in battery acid.

You can get good Datils, but not necessarily out of St. Augustine.

did not know that?

thanks

DP, you got any descriptions about what true datil tastes like? Im guessing you've covered this ground before.

Capitone

Well, a few of us were sitting around not to far back and cut up a datil and described it. The descriptions went: fruity, sweet, earthy, uncsious(which I never could get a better explanation for), jasminey, honeysuckley, cottencandy... HOT. when you are cutting them open, you definatly can smell them, a wonderful floral bouquet.

We actually cut up several from different acquired plants, the old Hippy Minorcan Datil-heads selected what they tasted/remembered the flavor to be from way back before we had chain/commercial groceries here about (before 1970). We all went home and tore out plants. I took out 2 varieties. Old friend skip yanked up every plant he had (acquired from a nursury in St Aug) and asked me for pods if I had some available from my remaining plants.

Any such thing as a Red Datil?
IMG_1236.jpg

Back