• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Superhot Flavor

In my opinion the superhot I like best is the:

• Total voters
Absolutely right.

I didn't like cayennes when I grew them, so I don't grow them anymore.

It's been a while though, I am considering trying them again!

I think with Cayennes it's a matter of love or hate. I like them, but I guess if you didn't like them back then, you won't like them now.

cheezydemon said:
Good info CH!

I have not read up on them, several here had listed them in the top 5 heatwise, I took that as good.

I'm glad I listed it though, it seems to be a favorite among those who know their stuff.

I was just taking the fatalii SHU numbers off wiki, it says anywhere from 125,000 - 325,000

basic habaneros are in that SHU range, dont know about the chocolate habs, caribbean reds or other chiles like them what they're SHU is.
so IMO fatalii is not a "super hot" if those numbers are correct, but then again what SHU numbers qualify as being label a super hot ? wouldn't it be somewhere like 500,000 + SHU ?

Before the nagas, bhuts, scorpions and 7-pods came around here in the last few years, Fatalii(and devil's tongue) were among the hottest known.
As for Wiki, they aren't always the best source of info. I think anyone who's tried a fatalii knows how it got its name and knows that they are great super hotties. I'd guess that they are likely around 4-500 000 SHU

potawie - I know those numbers are from wiki & understand it might not be correct SHU, but not everything on wiki is false, as for the numbers - dont know if true just going off those numbers since I dont know where else to find them.
wish someone would test most of the well known hot chiles so people can get an idea as to their SHU.

omri - but thats no help, like others have said before some chiles could be really hot to them, but not high SHU, & then that same chile to another could be not as hot but still hot or mild.
or a mild chile could always get that person while they could also take the heat from some hotter ones (being the same person)

so numbers speak when it comes to chile SHU not sauces.

Right, there is no definitive data to quote, so I made my best guess.

Rather than squabble, start a new poll if you disagree.

This thread has yielded great discussion and info, as I had hoped. It is by no means meant to be carved in stone.

Honestly, 7pot beat out naga and scorpion as I would have guessed.

Fatali was designated as a favorite (perhaps because the other 3 are far less available)and one that I have got to try next season.

This poll was a far better success than I expected for me. Thanks all!

I was tempted to check the "My last name is Passow, so I am disqualified." option, but decided to go with never tried any of those. Well, I have tried orange hab, but that was from the grocery store so I don't think it really counts.

I managed to get a Savina, Dorset and a Jolokia to sprout and am waiting on the Fatali, T-Scorp and barracapor 7Pot. I won't have anything until late next year so I may have to come back and change my vote should they survive or produce

I love my Nagas. ripe off the vine I slow smoke them with jack daniels soaked apple wood until they are nice and dried. Great smokey flavor.

Back